UNDERPAID FRONT LINERS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Betty in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

93 months ago

I agree with you, Sabrina. Businesses and corporations will always try to get as much out of you for as little pay as possible.

I believe there are a number of other reasons for the generally low compensation offers in the administrative assistant field. See if you agree with any of my theories...

1. Poor negotiating skills.
2. Low self-esteem.
3. Financially desperate, therefore must take the first offer.
4. Figures it is a second income so it really doesn't matter.
5. Will take a low offer just to be "liked".

With over seven years of experience and commitment to ongoing training, I staunchly defend my profession as an Administrative Assistant. Besides, it is an excellent launch pad for starting my own business, eventually.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

93 months ago

Administrative Assistants, in my opinion, are the sand or the rock of any team that you work with. I have been in this field for over 20 years, and yes, I do love my profession - I started college in biochem degree, so I'm not a dummy. I agree that some admins take their jobs at lower wages as stated - low esteem, have to, etc, HOWEVER, many I have worked with don't want to take the effort to better their skills. Pendaflexlearningcenter has FREE mini-classes to help you learn - maybe 30-45 mins at most. If you think of yourself as a profeesional, you'll be treated like one. This is alot harder said than done, but, attitude has alot to do with it.

Betty in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

93 months ago

Well said.

Here are a few other free learning sites...
www.softlookup.com/tutorial/
knowledgecenter.gateway.com/

Alot of Fire Here in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

93 months ago

Thanks for the info. I'm not cheap, just don't see spending $200-$300 for the one or two lessons I need.
Have 2 interviews today - keeping fingers crossed. My only concern is the statement: "yes, this is a contract position. However, once you get your foot in the door and make yourself known, you can apply for other positions." Sounds like the admin for low dollar switch, ie, get experience in there at client's budget, but, the admin does senior or exec work.
Thanks again for listening. Need that this AM.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.