Adminstrative Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Connie Savage in Atlanta, Georgia

89 months ago

Here in Peachtree City, Ga
I'd like to know when you have all the qualifications in this field, the interview goes well, all questions were answered correctly, good eye contact. The HR person that interviewed me for this absolutely glorified me when she called, however, she says they decided to promote from within. What gives? I've already interviewed with this company in the past before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Guest in Woodland Hills, California

89 months ago

I found the same thing here in Florida. The HR person loved me and wanted me to start ASAP. Second interview with the Supervisior went extremely well. Had what they were looking for (experience and education). But,they never called me back. The same thing took place with another company. Hiring within usually goes on. They rather have someone with knowledge of the company from within. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Connie Savage in Atlanta, Georgia

89 months ago

I've recently found out through the Ga, Dept. Of Labor here that when they do this, they already know who is their final decision is, even prior to conducting the outside interviews. Apparently this is a requirement through the company (Corporate), but it was a serious waste of my time. Why don't they just say that "Bids" have been place on the position and that they HAVE to conduct this before? Instead of creating all this secrecy and trying to act all professional, why can't they just tell the truth! It just infuriates me to no end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reddrobin in Syracuse, New York

81 months ago

Connie Savage in Atlanta, Georgia said: Here in Peachtree City, Ga
I'd like to know when you have all the qualifications in this field, the interview goes well, all questions were answered correctly, good eye contact. The HR person that interviewed me for this absolutely glorified me when she called, however, she says they decided to promote from within. What gives? I've already interviewed with this company in the past before.

I've had a number of these experiences as well over the last few years. According to my agency rep friend turned headhunter, a number of companies conduct the interview and selection process after sending the requisition to corporate, then learned their request to fill the position is denied. A number also would ask her to 'keep her eyes open' for someone that would meet their requirements once a hiring freeze ended and approval was granted. More and more companies are having other workers share in absorbing the job duties, thereby eliminating the position altogether ("restructuring").

Here in Central NY this has also occurred within the legal field, with paralegals absorbing legal secretarial duties and a 'steno pool' of remaining legal secretaries sharing the overflow work for the firm's attorneys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

81 months ago

Another thing that happens is the exact truth as the company states.. that they interviewed people inside the company AND outside the company and decided they already had a perfectly good candidate who was already working there.

Forget where the hired one came from, it makes no difference to your situation. The same end result would exist if they hired the person sitting next to you in the lobby that day. At least you got a shot at it and might have been better than the current employee who was finally chosen - but you weren't better.

Louise in Decatur, Georgia

80 months ago

A lot of companies are required to advertise positions, even though they are already know that they will promote from within. Therefore, they go through the motions as if they are really seeking someone to fill a particular position. You're right, they waste your time and theirs. Don't be discouraged. They do it all the time.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.