Others discriminated against by Monarch Staffing LLC?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Barron in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

What were your issues with Monarch Staffing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SouthernPAer in Springfield, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Haven't been on here in a while, busy with college over that past months. Anyway, my issue is a long story and general stuff about it is posted on here somewhere. Just to see what would happen, I sent my resume again. I was right that they wouldn't respond. Maybe out of retaliation for discrimination charges filed on them...that retaliation is illegal. Just in case others have a situation of job refusal just for exercising their rights. A lot of people discuss similar problems on here that they had with temp agencies, and if my posts are seen by the particular temp agency...I do have freedom of speech. Also, I told the truth in my side of the situation. What is interesting to me is that they claimed in writing that they never discussed my health as an issue with one of their clients. Yet the temp agency and the client were located in two different offices in two different towns. So how did the agency know what was going on with my health on a certain day if there was no discussion of my health? A health problem, by the way, which has not caused me to quit college...so yes I can work...as my doctor put in writing.

This is just the basics of everything. I had more skills than that agency required for the jobs they sent me to. It was just a time-filler working for them. I had admin and tech computer skills before ever working for them, and yet they try to call me (in writing) low-end, low-skilled? This was another retaliation because it was stated only after finding out about the charges. What kind of employer does that to someone who has gone through higher education...something that costs good money. A person works hard to get through that education, becomes a member of 2 honor societies...and gets treated like that. That's not right.

For a long time, I felt like this had me beat. But I know that I can go on and be successful. That is my best revenge. It shows that I am not low-end, low-skilled. I plan on having my own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Comment-asaurus in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

SouthernPAer - I don't know what you went though, specifically, but during my last round of temp agency work this time last year I found that I was being put forth for jobs that I was over qualified for. And that were usually 30 miles away and paid 10 dollars an hour. However, it wasn't because of discrimination but rather because they really weren't getting many jobs in and they admitted this to me. Maybe that is what was going on with Monarch?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hi, Comment-asaurus

I have had times of being placed in jobs I was overqualified for, or jobs that were too far away for little money. But in this case, I was actually discriminated against. I had a health problem and was told to see my doctor in order to keep my job (which was not physically demanding and the health problem was stiffness in my back. On the day I went to see my doctor, I was fine because the stiffness went away within 24 hours and my doctor's visit was a few days after the pain. Anyway, the doctor signed consent to work form and I took it to the agency where the owner said "we feel that you are too unhealthy to work anymore." I was also told that their client was happy with my work, so it had nothing to do with job performance related issues. Of course, after I filed discrimination charges, the temp agency owner only then decides to say negative and false things about my job skills. That is retaliation for exercising my rights. I have more time, effort and maybe even more money invested into my higher education than the temp agency owner does in her own higher education. I do not have a B.A./B.S. degree yet like she does, but I have 2 PC-focused certificates (26 months invested), two tech A.A.S. degrees (4 yrs), and was most of the way (2 out of 3 yrs) through finishing a liberal arts A.A.S. degree by the time this discrimination happened. My secretarial / tech PC skills overqualify me for data entry, and definitely proves that I am not "low-end, low-skilled" which the temp agency owner sent to me in writing through the EEOC. One thing is for sure, I did not go through that education to have it belittled by any employer. And I have had multiple health problems since before I graduated high school. Yet no doctor ever told me to just give up on life, to sit back at home, to not work, to not pursue higher education. Why should some employer do so? And I will get a B.A. degree despite health, proving I can be part of the workforce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Comment-asaurus in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

@ SouthernPAer - oh no! That is horrible! :( I've always kept a worry about health related discrimination (I have type one diabetes) in the back of my mind. I hope you come out ahead in this.

And good luck with your B.A! I'm in the process of getting a second one now and it is hard, hard, hard to do while working. Seems like so many classes take place smack in the middle of the day!

WorkingnineTofive in Toms River, New Jersey

67 months ago

SouthernPAer in Springfield, Pennsylvania said: Hi, Comment-asaurus. But in this case, I was actually discriminated against. I had a health problem and was told to see my doctor in order to keep my job (which was not physically demanding and the health problem was stiffness in my back. On the day I went to see my doctor, I was fine because the stiffness went away within 24 hours and my doctor's visit was a few days after the pain. Anyway, the doctor signed consent to work form and I took it to the agency where the owner said "we feel that you are too unhealthy to work anymore." I was also told that their client was happy with my work, so it had nothing to do with job performance related issues.
There is an old expression which is “better safe than sorry”. Not any legal expert here, however, in my opinion, you might think hard about being careful what you post on these types of forums. What you have already posted may be misconstrued and your complaints may have the potential to cause you great legal headaches in the future. What you post may be view by Monarch Staffing LLC as defamation, libel, slander. This means you have made a statement somewhere within your posting where you have made false claims, or that you IMPLIED what you have experienced is FACTUAL and as of result of what you’ve stated, the statement itself may give that business a negative image as a direct result of your complaints. You may not have planned to cause any negative harm to any business and you didn’t want any reader to misinterpret any of your comments as criticism yet, Monarch Staffing LLC may read your posting and run to a lawyer asking if they can charge you with defamation. Being safe / careful is best when posting in public forums

67 months ago

Temp agencies need to be told to be careful how they treat employees. Temps are not worthless. There seems to be a great # of people on here who have one or more of these complaints:

- Discrimination in some form or another
- Being lied to about the type of job
- Insulting a candidate's job skills, education
- Being placed in jobs that they are overqualified for
- Recruiters displaying that they can't interpret a candidate's resume and job skills on it
- Applying for temp jobs posted online, being told the posting is "old," when it was posted for only a day

Given my experience...I believe that those things happened to them. Since this happens so much, maybe there is a story here. Maybe something needs to be exposed about temp agencies in general.

I can't tell you how many articles I read about how temping is a great way to get ahead. That is so one-sided. Nobody ever writes about the negatives...and here's one that anyone could agree with.

You have to work, for example, 1200 hours straight with temp agency "A" for health benefits. But one jobs ends after 3 months, and you don't get any other jobs with them for a while. They just don't have anything, which they say sometimes. You can't afford to wait around for them or a real job to come along. You go to temp agency "B." But you have to start over again to build up towards being eligible for health benefits. If the same thing keeps happening before you reach 1200 hours, you never get health benefits. Then, let's say you are diagnosed with Cancer. What do you do then? I feel like temp agencies, in a way, are lining people up for a really bad situation leading right for death. And they don't care about your lack of benefits.

This is probably a reality for somebody out there. The person can get govt assistance, and depending on how long that takes, their illness could go terminal. That person dies basically because temp agencies exist and keep you from getting benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WorkingnineTofive in Toms River, New Jersey

67 months ago

Springfield,
“Also, other people on here are naming temp agencies (including location of an temp agency office branch) when they have similar problems. Why I am the only one being told that I have to be careful? I am telling it exactly the way it happened. “
Let me extend to you my sincerest apologizes Springfield. Your question is a fair one. It was not my intent to come across as if you were being “told” what to do - - rather my purpose was to gently share my personal belief with you - - my thoughts towards your issues, I was merely sharing my humble opinion. You are correct in stating “What you didn't mention was that truth is the best defense against a libel/slander lawsuit.” No argument here. I couldn’t agree with you more! With that being said, let me say I don’t know much about many things, however, I’ve been around the block a few thousand times and it does seem, again IMP, that truth does not always land us on our feet standing tall once the legal system get involved. Moving (writing/posting) with caution is all I was attempting to say to you.

67 months ago

I understand that you weren't telling me what to do. I just feel like are going to have to get these things out. I mean, I have been through the worse part of my life financially. After this job loss, I was on unemployment benefits for 6 months while looking for a new job...because I didn't lose my job due to my own fault. Benefits ran out before a new job came along. Bankruptcy was unavoidable...and I can good credit before all of this. The 2nd job I had with the same agency was with a credit bureau. The 3rd temp job was the one this issue revolves around.

I also wanted to add in my 2nd post after your original reply. It might seem strange what with the economy the way it is now. But I wish that there were only permanent workers and direct hire jobs. I don't know why there should be an industry that goes hand-in-hand with instability.

Maybe it is better to be safe than sorry. But it applies to the agency and their writing about my skills as a worker. As you can see from my education, they would not be able to back up the idea that I am "low-end." They simply made that comment to get back at me for my charges. If I had no education with computers, if I couldn't type, they'd be more accurate in saying so. But it would still be ignorant of them. I have secretarial and tech pc skills, I have high honors. This "low-end, low-skilled" thing makes me feel like I'd have to graduate from the Ivy League to be considered "high-end" by the agency. It's not right to make someone feel that way. It's not right to treat someone's accomplishments as worthless. It's stressful enough to deal with a health problem or two or more. Nobody deserves to have their skills/education insulted. In my case, it happened all because I exercised my rights by filing charges. I was deemed worthless due to health, and was belittled skill-wise for taking a stand. That is uncalled for. Yet so many work while having health problems. What if they do it to someone else?

KBarron in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

About 20 years ago, 60 minutes did a segment on just how temp agencies operate and how racism is still very much in tact. Many agencies/companies/clients utilized codes to determine the race of the perspective candidate. Meaning who would get the better jobs based on the color of their skin and not based on related skills or education. Not all companies participated in this practice. However a good many of them did. 60 minutes sent two ladies into a particular temp agency, one African American (lady A), one Caucasion (lady B). Both women equipped with hidden cameras. The African American woman equipped with a Masters degree, the caucasion woman with only a high school diploma. Both women hired by the same temp agency. The codes were now utilized in full force. Both women went in and interviewed, both were hired, both for similar positions. Despite lady A's level of education or qualifications she did not qualify for the same pay rate. In fact, her wages were much lower. In the meantime the young lady with just a high school diploma working the same position in which she clearly was not qualified for received much higher wages than her collegue. Needless to say a "Class Action" soon followed. The agency lost.

If you think 20 years later that things are different within these agencies, they're not. It's a rackett and their tests are rigged. The code system is still in full force. They have you in the palm of their hands because you need them especially if you are in between jobs and you know your bills aren't going to wait. Today most agencies are still just as unscupulous. Their biggest fear is getting caught and becoming exposed for their criminal ways (discrimination). They've just made the game a bit more clever, difficult to get caught. Not impossible just difficult.

Michelle in Charlotte, North Carolina

62 months ago

I have some horror stories about temp agencies. I had an appointment with one temp agency where I spent 4 hours filling out application, tested on Word, PPT, Excel, Outlook, typing test, data entry test and then interviewed. I kept calling them every 2 weeks or so to see if they had anything for me. This went on for about 2 months when one day when I called to "check-in" with them, I was told I would have to come in and re-test with them and fill out all the paperwork again because they couldn't find any of my recent test scores or paperwork. This is incompetence to the 3rd degree--these people are not qualified to place an admin assistant so I cross them off my call list.
Some are better than others but there are quite a few corrupt temp agencies out there-they favor the companies, not the temps themselves.

I hate Monarch staffing in Springfield, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Here is my horror story in short. I was layed off from a job that I worked for 5 years. At what time I contacted Monarch staffing. So, while on unemployment they had contacted me about a temporary position that would last only 4-8 weeks with no possibility of staying on longer, at the time I was looking into two other jobs that I felt was more beneficial for me to pursue.. I then received a letter from the unemployment office stating that Monarch staffing reported me for turning down that position. I stated my case as though a 4-8 week position is just not suitable for me at the moment and I want to pursue better opportunities. As of yesterday my unemployment was terminated, I have $90 to my name with bills and rent due and now have to go through a appeal process. They basically are trying to put me on the street for not accepting the position. I just urge anyone reading this that is unemployed to be careful of staffing agencies ..ESPECIALLY MONARCH STAFFING..THEY ARE RUTHLESS B!TCHES!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

That's terrible what you are experiencing! The way I see it, no temp agency should penalize someone just because he or she turned down a job. You are simply trying to be in control of your own direction. The temp agency should not be in control of that, and should not be allowed to refuse you future work.

And doesn't that temp agency's web site say something like "the right placement every time?" Seems like a falsehood if they place someone with technical training in data entry jobs all the time (which was only part of my issue). Also if they expect someone to take every job offer even if the person knows the job isn't right for them (whether it is the wrong type of job, or if it is too short in length, not enough pay for a job that's too far). If the job isn't right for you, how is it the right fit? So you definitely have the right to turn it down in favor of another job that suits you better.

60 months ago

Just wanted to add, the phrase on their web site is "The Right Job For the Right Person Every Time!" That can't be so if even one person turns down one job because something about the job isn't right for them.

Also regarding the issue of turning down a job from them, this will be interesting to you.

I have it in writing from what I went through with them that if someone turns down two jobs, they won't place that person anymore. They claimed in writing that I turned down two jobs, as one of the reasons they claimed they let me go. But I never turned down that many jobs with them. I only turned down one job, and it was partly because of how I was treated with the ending of my 3rd job with them and because it was less pay, further distance.

So for them to refuse you after you also only turned down one job from them, they are going against that rule of theirs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Agencies should be put of business in Ridgewood, New York

59 months ago

This is happening at a few agencies in NYC too. Something needs to be done. I'm really upset. I am well qualified and dealing with absolute BS when it comes to some of these agencies.. They love my resume and then when I come in the job has somehow miraculously been filled.

I dress professionally, come on time, bring a copy of my resume etc. There is simply no excuse for the lack of warm welcome from some people I interact with.

Michelle in Charlotte, North Carolina

59 months ago

Agencies should be put of business in Ridgewood, New York said: This is happening at a few agencies in NYC too. Something needs to be done. I'm really upset. I am well qualified and dealing with absolute BS when it comes to some of these agencies.. They love my resume and then when I come in the job has somehow miraculously been filled.

I dress professionally, come on time, bring a copy of my resume etc. There is simply no excuse for the lack of warm welcome from some people I interact with.

Yes I believe temp agencies (for admin assistants) are some of the most unprofessional and incompetent people I've ever seen (mostly here in the Southern states). The town I live in is way oversaturated with temp agencies, given there are not enough admin jobs to go around, and it wasn't better 8 years ago when I moved here. If there are any industries I would like to see take a hit and close down, it would be temp agencies--i.e. only the good ones that really serve should stay in business, and all the flaks get gone. Sames goes for all the crooked HVAC contractors here, but that is another post ha ha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T.N. in Dallas, Texas

27 months ago

I'm on unemployment and I could have sworn my resume posted on careerbuilder stated "no temp/contract" positions Desired. But out the blue today a temp agency pulled my resume from careerbuilder and contacted me. I was like "oh Sh?t"! I answered the phone too.

Now I've got to ignore them. I'm tired of temps. I have had nothing but contract/temp jobs and it is BS each time. I only want full time permanent work.

They only know my name. The woman spoke so fast to get my info but I only gave them my name.

I will refuse their calls.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.