Administrative Assistants - Start Making Real Money

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Paul Anderson in Kirkland, Washington

82 months ago

Let me start this discussion with one question. Do you love your job as an AA or do you hate it? If you love it, this conversation will only be informational. If you hate your job and are ready to move on now, this is the place for you.

Why do admins hate their jobs but still stay in them and keep suffering? From my experience working with hundreds of admins it comes down to these issues.

1. Self Worth: Admins typically suffer self-worth issues, they don't feel worthy of other higher paying positions. This is why they let the boss treat them like sh.. but keep going as if nothing happened.
2. Limiting Beliefs: Admins typically have limiting beliefs about the job market. They talk about discrimination, they talk about lack of education, they talk about lack of experience. In their mindset they believe they need more things and then it will be better.
3. Internal Conflicts: Part of them knows there is something better out there but part of them holds them back from fear of disappointment, success, failure.
4. Bad Strategies: Admins try to market themselves to other higher paying positions using old strategies such as not utilizing the correct prospecting, interviewing, resume, and other essential skills that are required for them to get a successful offer.
5. Poor peer group: Admins typically hang around and talk with other admins. Therefore they reinforce each others limiting beliefs and start generalizing the world as they believe is true. As I'm running out of space I'll continue the conversation below.

Paul Anderson (Performance Coach)
[Edited by Host] Contact info deleted

Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

So typically admins come to me in pure frustration and my job is to identify which of the top 5 issues exist within that individual. To make this reading worth your time, I have provided solutions to some of the above. Contact me if you need details or help on resolving these:

1. Self-worth issues are created by significant emotional experiences (SEE) in the past. These are created in order to protect you either physically and/or emotionally. Typical self-worth SEEs are created in our childhood (father or mother saying you weren't good enough, or you got bad grades and the teacher ignored you or you were made fun of by your friends or tried something and failed, etc). When this occurs the pain is so much for the child to tolerate (even hard for adults) so part of your nervous system, I'm no longer going to experience this pain again so it limits how you play in the real world. You start playing small because there is less pain associated with playing small. While these were true when you were 3, 7, or 14 they no longer need to be part of your nervous system. There are different methods to dealing with self-worth issues but the most effective one is Time Empowerment Techniques which gets rid of negative emotions and woosh, within 45 minutes to 1 hr all the bad emotions disappear from the past. The memory is still there but the emotions are gone. Once that's gone, your true self comes out. You feel free and start dreaming again.

2. Beliefs are caused at various points in our lifetime (society, friends, school, work, parents, etc). Beliefs say what you can and can't do. Once you believe something, your nervous system is limited to that behavior. Let me give you an example. When someone is making minimum wage, they'll only produce behavior that matches that salary level. When someone is an admin, they'll only perform as an admin. However, beliefs aren't true. They are just the way you represent the world. There are couple of ways to get rid of limiting beliefs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Continued...

One way is to work with a coach trained in quantum lingusitics (it sounds more complicated than it is) but with this technique they can find the root cause of the belief and woosh the belief is gone. Once a belief is gone a new belief must replace the old one so a trained coach will install a new empowering belief in its place. Another way to change your beliefs is start associating with other people that are getting the results you're after. While this method is slower over time your beliefs will be shaped by their actions however they might not allow you to spend much time with them because they don't want to be limited by your beliefs.

3. Internal conflicts are caused by many sources (beliefs, parts, values). A trained coach can identify the root of the conflict and integrate the whole so the person becomes one and is no longer part time in any area.

Continued below...

82 months ago

4. This one deserves a whole section but I'll simplify it for you.

Job searching, interviewing, negotiation is all about sales. Are you in good in sales? Have you had former sales training? How do you feel about this topic?

Many admins I speak with aren't comfortable selling or shy away from this topic. This obviously has roots into limiting beliefs, etc. The good news is that we can reframe this experience and call it marketing or serving instead - whatever makes you feel comfortable.

There are lots to learn in this area. The highlights are:
1. Please pay a professional to write your resume. We spend years studying, working, getting experience but when it comes time to representing ourselves we either spend an hour or two on the resume or have a friend/colleague critique it. While this might be useful for getting into a community college it is not sufficient in today's competitive job market to get a good position. Before you pay a professional to write your resume, identify your new targeted positions. Give the professional 10 - 15 job discriptions of the positions you are after, pay them the fee (it's usually $150 or so - shop online) and make sure you get a warranty from them.
2. Get coaching on interviewing techniques. There is so much to learn about rapport, decision making, reassurance, and other successful strategies to use to outperform the competition. When I learned these skills, my interviewing passing ratio became 100%. I haven't gotten every job offer therefore I'm confident that I can always get a job and keep increasing my salary.

82 months ago

5. Choose your peer group. There is a saying that you're income is the average of the top 10 people you hang out with the most. Look around, chances are that it's true. Why do you think the rich hang out with the rich? Why do the hood people hang with each other? It's because they all share the same beliefs and want that certainty that their model of the world is respected.

I can only say one thing. Again, I started this conversation of whether you're happy. If you are, this is only informational. If you're not, you need to give up that certainty, that peer group and adopt new beliefs that will ensure you success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Last but not least:

1. What is it that you want? What is it really that you want? Do you have a clear idea? When I studied the successful people I found one common trait. Not only did they know what they wanted, they were very clear about it too and they rarely changed thier minds. Now, I'm all in favor of flexibility. But you have to keep a big picture in mind. You have to see where you're going on you'll just end up anywhere wondering why your life is not working.

2. Once you've identified what you want then answer this question. Why do you want that? Why do you really? Write down all the reasons. Then look at your answers. Do you want them because of possibility or necessity? If they are fear based wants such as security, respect, etc then there are underlying negative emotions you need to get rid of now. Stop and go find a coach and resolve those. If you don't you'll keep getting what you don't want.

You've now identified what you want and why you wanted it. Compelling whys will pull you toward your goal in the future. Not having compelling whys or not having any whys will cause you to will power which doesn't last for very long.

3. Get clear and take action. Work with a coach, a peer group, someone that is already been down your path and have them keep you accountable and suggest alternative routes to help you succeed faster.

When I work with admins, we typically spend a couple of hours and find out what is truly holding them back. Once we identify and resolve the root causes they start flying. They go and within a couple of weeks they're working as a Program/Project Manager making 35 - 55/hr or they work as business analyst making 55 - 85/hr. Same skill level, same person but different beliefs, different confidence level, different strategies.

Ping me if you want more information or have questions - that's what I'm hear for.

If you would like to set up a profile p

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Tampa, Florida

82 months ago

I am wondering if you can help me or lead me into a direction of someone who can. I'm a CSR for a small company, business is slow and the hours are no longer good for me. I have been looking for another job for almost a year now. I've had four interviews but no call backs. I have studied to make my resume better, and studied for the interviews. Can you what the Time Empowerment Techniques are, and what I have to do to find a coach.

82 months ago

Yes, I can help you in a couple of ways. It is great that you're getting job interviews - that means you're already ahead of the game. At this point you need advanced interviewing strategies to land the jobs you're interviewing for. Not only land them but get a pay much bigger than they're offering.

Time Empowerment Techniques are for letting go of past negative emotions once and for all. When we hold onto the emotions they create inner-conflicts inside us and come out in the form of self-sabotage, confusion, self-worthiness issues, etc. It's an advance technique a professional coach would use (provided he's certified in it) to let go of all your fears so you are totally congruent and become unstoppable. Feel free to contact me at paul@addcore.com. I'll spend 30 minutes with you and decide from there how we can turn your situation around.

Good luck,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Melissa in Tampa, Florida said: I am wondering if you can help me or lead me into a direction of someone who can. I'm a CSR for a small company, business is slow and the hours are no longer good for me. I have been looking for another job for almost a year now. I've had four interviews but no call backs. I have studied to make my resume better, and studied for the interviews. Can you what the Time Empowerment Techniques are, and what I have to do to find a coach.

By the way when you send me an email, please attach you resume. I'd like to see in shape it's in.

Thanks,
Paul

Jae Tett in Fort Wayne, Indiana

81 months ago

Hi,
I was wondering is there is any admins out there who have worked with , well to put it this way, difficult admins? And if anyone has noticed that punctuality, experience, attire, confidentiality and skills seem to be no longer necessary to acquire a job or move up in the field of AA's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tina4545 in Pembroke, Georgia

81 months ago

I have worked with many difficult people, sometimes you just have ignore them and if not go to HR. As far as the other more employers now expect you to be college educated, have a perfect credit report and be able to drive. I don't know what else to do I have been trying to find a job to no avail-maybe it is a past employer or employee who has been bad mouthing me and that is why I cannot get a job! What do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.