Why is it hard for military veterans to find a job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 63)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

LindaM in Barrington, Illinois

72 months ago

I do not know a whole lot about the military, but all I can say is keep trying and keep the faith. You have only been out of work since October, which really is not a very long time considering how long others have been unemployed. You have some very good skills and it is just a matter of time before you land something. Have you considered temporary work to bring in some cash while you secure something permanent? Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

davidh in Johannesburg, South Africa

72 months ago

yes, its much hurting because u have an advantage of academic results but because u have the courage to stand against all odds the very same abilities that keeps you going it would be there one that will set the table before your eyes just keep on carring. but tough times never last but the joy that you will receive it will eternally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

foxsha75 in Stockbridge, Georgia

72 months ago

LindaM in Barrington, Illinois said: I do not know a whole lot about the military, but all I can say is keep trying and keep the faith. You have only been out of work since October, which really is not a very long time considering how long others have been unemployed. You have some very good skills and it is just a matter of time before you land something. Have you considered temporary work to bring in some cash while you secure something permanent? Good Luck

Yes I am very fortunate, unlike alot of people who have been out of work for 6 months to a year. I stay positive,a nd hope for the best. I have been seeking temporary work, but i haven't had any luck in that category. I honestly feel like I need to "dummy" my resume so I can get a position somewhere. Even thogh I havent finished my degree and currently attending, I feel like that gives me a disadvantage. I have 2 interviews this week and the first one is tomorrow. I am happy but also nervous at the same time. Wish me luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Deborah James in Alameda, California said: I don't know very much about the military either. What was the reason that UI denied you benefits? Usually the standard is "willful misconduct." You mention filing "another appeal." Did you already file an appeal?

Are you applying for government jobs? Usually there is veteran preference for federal and state jobs.

Good luck to you.

I am applying for government jobs as well. Its very frustrating because everyone is trying to get the same jobs as I am. So the competition is very stiff. I lost my appeal because they said that I got separation pay when I was honorably discharged from the army. The military took that away when I didnt finish my reenlistment obligations, but it still showed on my DD214 as recieving compensation. I gave the Department of labor the paperwork showing that the Army took it from me, but they still denied it. I am going back to the Department of Labor and file another appeal. Hopefully, they accept it this time and I can recieve benefits. I have been living off of savings, but it has ran out, and I am in danger of losing my car. All I can do is pray that they give me benefits. There are people who are abusing the system and not really looking for work. I have been in the military for almost 9 years, and I deserve UI benefits. Its very sad...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

davidh in Johannesburg, South Africa said: yes, its much hurting because u have an advantage of academic results but because u have the courage to stand against all odds the very same abilities that keeps you going it would be there one that will set the table before your eyes just keep on carring. but tough times never last but the joy that you will receive it will eternally.

Thank you so much. I hope that I get one of these jobs that I applied for this week.The first interview is for an Admin Assistant position, and it is nearby, so that is great. The other position is in Atlanta, and I would be happy to get that job as well. I am just praying that I get something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Gracie, Toms River, NJ in Farmingdale, New Jersey

71 months ago

foxsha75 in Stockbridge, Georgia said: Hello everyone,
I am a 28 year old Army Veteran who was just Honorably Discharged from the military after 8 years.

Dear Foxsha75: Thanks for your 8 years of service! I don't know if you'd be interested or not but with your military training and I would assume weapons handling capabilities you should easily qualify for a job at your local prison as a corrections officer. They are always hiring. One thing I can tell you that they will do for sure (my son went through this so I know for a fact) they will run a background check on you, they will run a credit check on you. If you fail either one of these the 'process' stops cold. If you pass both, they will interview you tribunal style. They will send you to Georgia (in my son's case) for training for approx 2 weeks then you'd start working. The whole process took close to two months before my son actually started work. By the way, he was fresh out of college with a criminal justice degree & never saw a gun before weapons training. They look for either someone with military background or degreed people. His starting pay was high 30's (might vary depending on whether you're in a federal prison (non weapon carrying) or a state prison (weapons are carried). His first complete year of income which was for 2008 with differential pay (nights, holidays, and/or weekends) grossed out at 46,500. Not bad for a 23 year old kid. I think you might want to try and find listings on federal gov't job websites. I hope this helps you. Good luck!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

cmm in Williamstown, New Jersey

71 months ago

I don't normally comment on these types of issues, however, I too am a military veteran (24 years of service) in the HR field. I have found that my military experience does not translate in the civilian sector. Keep trying but in the meantime, I recommend you spell check all you work. I found several errors in your messages above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

cmm in Williamstown, New Jersey

71 months ago

I don't normally comment on these types of issues, however, I too am a military veteran (24 years of service) in the HR field. I have found that my military experience does not translate well in the civilian sector. Keep trying but in the meantime, I recommend you spell check all your work. I found several errors in your messages above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

sue collins in Albuquerque, New Mexico

66 months ago

Foxsha75, the truth is I wish they would hire you they need to make a law that all FEDERAL GOVERNMENT employers need to have one prior military working in that HR office each one, espically the VA, our government and these agencies are ANTI MILITARY ANTI VETERAN AND ANTI AMERICAN. These bafoons they hire to HR people for the federal government are absolte morons and our government lets them %^76 us. When Obama said they can't find qualifed contractor, they won't hire us we know how much things cost, SEE THERE TOLD TO HIRE THE CIVIALIAN BAFOONS SO, THE GENERAL AND THE REST GETTING THE CUT ON THE OVERCOST PRICES ALL GET THERE CUT FOR A COST THATS ABSOLUTLY CRAZY, LIKE THE HELICOPTERS WHAT THEY BUYING SPACE SHIPS. BUT THEY WON'T HIRE US VETERANS, WE KNOW HOW MUCH THINGS COST

I am a 28 year old Army Veteran who was just Honorably Discharged from the military after 8 years. I worked in the Human Resources field, and have extensive knowledge in Administrative and HR. I currently go to school part time to finish my Bachelors in Human resources, but I feel like that is not enough for employers.

I have been out of the Army since October, and have been trying to find work ever since. I went to the unemployment office and was denied benefits twice. I am going to file another appeal after the Martin Luther King Holiday. I love to work, and I had no problem serving my country, but I feel like no one is taking me seriously, and it hurts so much.

With bills piling up, and my car in danger of reposession, I feel like I want to give up. I have been to numerous interviews, and sent my resumes to every staffing agency, and job site, but its not getting anywhere. I feel like my country has not only let hard working americans down, but myself as well. Anyone has any advice or inspiration. I really need some right now. Thank you so much for reading what I have to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

BECAUSE THESE ANTI VETERAN,ANTI AMERICAN, RUN THESE GOVERNMENT HR'S, LOOK AT WHAT THE VA HIRED 30 PERCET VETERANS, SEE DAV MAD APRIL 2009. YOUR GET A JOB WITH CHINESE ARMED FORCES BEFORE YOU GET A JOB WITH THE OUR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, UNLESS YOUR SOME OFFICER WITH CONNECTIONS, OH THEY WILL LOSE YOUR MILITARY MEDICAL RECORDS THEN DENY YOU A GOVERNMENT JOB. THESE HUMAN RESOURCE PERSONNEL THAT WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT HATES US, THATS A FACT. WE HAVE NO BENEFITS ITS ALL LIE, THEY HAVE SO MANY LOOPHOLES THESE CIVIALINS BAFOONS HR'S THAT NEVER HAVE EVER SERVED JUST LAUGH AT THESE SO CALLED VETERAN PREFERENCES AND SO CALLED HIRING BENNIES AND USE THERE MILLIONS OF LOOPHOLES, TO HIRE ALL THERE ANTI VETERAN AND ANTI AMERICAN FRIENDS. ITS A JOKE, THERE IS THOUSANDS OF ARTICLES ON IT THE BEST ONE IS BY A EDITOR AT THE FEDERAL TIMES DEC 2009, IT TELLS HOW THEY USE THE LOOP HOLES AND WHY THERE NOT HIRING US. EVEN SPOUSES, THE ONE WHERE YOU HAVE A 100 PERCENT DISABLED VETERANS, THAT IS TOTALLY USELESS, THEY SAYS ITS A VEERAN PREFERENCE, ITS NOT THE SAME, ITS ALL LIE, THEY GIVE YOU THE GI BILL, THEN TELL YOU TO GO FIND A JOB. FIRST YOU HAVE TO FIRE ALL YOUR GOVERNMENT HR PEOPLE AND MAKE LAWS WITH NO LOOPHOLES, YOU HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING, SEE HOW THEY DO THOSE INTERNAL HIRES WHERE IT JUST CUTS US OUT. GOOD LUCK IM AT 1061 FILED APPLICATION. I'M GIVEN UP, WAIT TO YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR DEPARTMENT OF LABOR/VETS, YOR GET THE RUNAROUND THERE, THEN THERE DENY YOU AND TELL YOU TO APPEAL TO THE MSPB, IS A MINI FEDERAL COURT, THAT ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS PROTECTING THE GOVERNMENT, YOU NEED A LAWYER TO STEER THROUGH IT MANY VETERANS JUST QUIT AT THE MSPB, BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO HIRE A LAWYER WHICH CAN COST YOU, NOPW THEY DON'T GIVE YOU A LAWYER BUT THEY SHULD SO WE CAN FIGHT THERE ANTI VETERAN GOVERNMENT HR CENTERS, SO IF YOU DON'T GET A LAWYER SPEND 5000 DOLlars or more to fight to get a government job, in other word your paying an arm and a leg again to get a job. government jobs forget it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Don't fell bad, I talled to many veterans and its the same dog and pony show, these federal HR just do not want to hire us, either its from the government itself not to hire us. Because the FACTS are there just go read the DAV april 2009, msg. The VA 30 percent veterans and hey thats ours. But when you go to a VA you see all these high school, ged grad,non-service gentlemen with good paying civil serice jobs GS-5 GS-6, asnd these are blue collar admin postions that are being stolen away from veterans be cause the anti veteran anti american Humnan resource and the civilain staff at the VA's indivduals we have making these picks and half of them will tell they had friends that helped them get the job. These are the same people laughing at us for serving, and saying there glad they didn't serve so they wouldn't been messed up. Your state and the DOL, will try to get you job at mcdonalds and think they got you a career. The VA isn't the only one there all like that, don't complaint your just be wasting your time, you have the BUSH government still in there, they can do what ever when ever and your just a veteran. There is tons of articles the best article READ THE ARTICEL BY THE FEDERAL TIMES CALLED SNUBBING VETERANS. aFTER SEEING THIS WE TO WHAT SENATOR (r) MITCHELL BACHMAN SAID WE NEED TO SEE WHOS WORKING IN OUR GOVERNMENT WHO ANTI AMERICAN ANTI VETERAN, THEY CAN START WITH FEDERAL AGENCIES HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICES AND WORK OUT TO PERSONNEL. WE NEED LAWS THAT THERE MUST BE ONE PRIOR MILITARY IN EACH HIRING AGENCYS HIRING OFFICE, BECAUSE VETS WILL LOOK OUT FOR VETS. THESE SO CALLED VETERAN HIRING LAWS ARE WORTHLESS, JUST ASK THE HUMAN RESOURCE PEOPLE YOU GOT IN THERE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Airborne357 in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

I am a 28 year old Army Veteran who was just Honorably Discharged from the military after 8 years. I worked in the Human Resources field, and have extensive knowledge in Administrative and HR. I currently go to school part time to finish my Bachelors in Human resources, but I feel like that is not enough for employers.

I have been out of the Army since October, and have been trying to find work ever since. I went to the unemployment office and was denied benefits twice. I am going to file another appeal after the Martin Luther King Holiday. I love to work, and I had no problem serving my country, but I feel like no one is taking me seriously, and it hurts so much.

With bills piling up, and my car in danger of reposession, I feel like I want to give up. I have been to numerous interviews, and sent my resumes to every staffing agency, and job site, but its not getting anywhere. I feel like my country has not only let hard working americans down, but myself as well. Anyone has any advice or inspiration. I really need some right now. Thank you so much for reading what I have to say.

Fox75,
Things will work out. I am a military retiree after 21 years of service and I retired in 2005. You must keep the pace of continuing your education and keep posting for jobs. Go to militaryhire.com and post your resume. E-mail me at walkecha@yahoo.com and I will advise you further. You have too many skills to your advantage to be worried. Stay focused on the things that you do have and the things you want. Do not focus on the negative things that are happening right now and do not give it energy. Just give energy to what you do want and it will happen okay. Hooah!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Baltimore, Maryland

65 months ago

To all of my fellow veterans I say it is a crime and a shame. I believe that a veteran who is willing to work shpuld be given an opportunity to do so as soon as they are released from the armed forces. That Veteran's Preferance crap does not work. What will work however is, after you apply for a position and submit all paperwork needed, wait. If you are qualified or fall under a special appointment like VEOA or VRA wait. If you receive a letter stating you were not referred contact that office via email and request an explantion why. Once they reply continue to keep all responses to your questions and applications and then submit them to your Congressman. They need to see this for themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Baltimore, Maryland

65 months ago

I am sorry to sound negative but all Americans did not enlist into the Armed Forces. Everyon was not willing to put their lives on the line for others but we were. Truth of the matter no one wants to feel taken advantage of. No one owe us but a simply sign of gratitude would be much obliged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

disabled educated vet in Sougthern Il

65 months ago

Here in Southern Illinois, I subteach almost every day in schools that are over an hour one way most school days. These are the same schools that don't have or have few veterans on their staffs. Around here the politics is very heavy and if you are not a "connected" candidate, you will NOT get the interview, forget about getting hired. Last year I counted only 12 veterans working in schools I go to and none of them are teachers or administrators. I have four honors degrees including 15 areas that are No Child Left Behind qualified, which is todays educational buzzword. We are left out every time. I have put applications to over 50 schools that have "so called" openings for teachers. No interviews and no response from the schools either. if I sub there, I notice all the new teachers (almost all without exception) are female or "connected" to teachers or friends of people that are already there. I was told by a federal Congressman that we here in Illinois are one of only five states that doesn't have a veterans preference in education when it comes to hiring teachers. At my age, I don't have all the time in the world to try to compete with the newby that gets out of colleges, but they get the jobs. I will keep doing what I have to do to survive and I am frankly sick of the people that always say "hang in there it will get better." Try walking our path sometimes, and see if you then understand what we go through. The so called "teacher shortage" depends where you are. Moving is not an option as we are helping my wifes elderly family. What do we do. We are experienced, trained and qualified but have no market. Again, what do we do?? Tell me now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

civmar in Saint Petersburg, Florida

64 months ago

Does anti-veteran bias exist within the corridors of government. OF COURSE IT DOES - there's not a single government agency that isn't permeated with the stench of anti-veteran bias. And so while you struggle to find work in the Human Resources field and work on your college degree, there are plenty of jobs within our government within the Human Resources field. In this down economy, government is one of the few organizations that are hiring and increasing the number of hirees. I work for a federal civil service organization called Military Sealift Command and my story is sad and long - suffice it to say that although they say they're a vet-friendly organization, personnel from my own employer have derided me for being a vet and telling me that my vet status isn't a factor. The solution is going to have to take more activism on the part of organizations like the VA, the Labor Dept (especially the V.E.T.S. division), OPM, State and local Veteran affairs department to get involved to turn this around. The current unemployment rate for vets right now hovers between 14 to 15% - 50% larger than the current national average. The unemployment for young vets is a national catastrophe because their unemployment rate is 2 to 3 times higher than the average for non-vets their age. Yet, our government does nothing to alleviate these ongoing crisises. Organizations like the VFW and American Legion are now starting to get active on this warfront. Don't limit your search just to the federal government, look at State, local, county, municipal, towns, cities and other government agencies looking to hire Human Resources personnel. I have a degree in Political Science but I have yet to find a federal government agency who holds my degree in government in high esteem. You might want to consider a minor in something else to prop up that Humanities degree you're seeking. Being a vet should be a blessing and not a curse and having a college degree should open doors not close e

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

SMC

63 months ago

i just hope the President, or someone who care about veterans look at it, women veterans, veterans government is not happeing the numbers prove that. there is a anti veteran anti women veteran sentiment. the hiring prefernce is a joke, veterans all over the United States need to Unite to do one big lawsuit. Because the veteran prefernce we have now is worthless, they will hire a handicap man, not by service to country either before they hire a women veteran.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SMC

63 months ago

Fox75,
Things will work out. I am a military retiree after 21 years of service and I retired in 2005. You must keep the pace of continuing your education and keep posting for jobs. Go to militaryhire.com and post your resume. E-mail me at walkecha@yahoo.com and I will advise you further. You have too many skills to your advantage to be worried. Stay focused on the things that you do have and the things you want. Do not focus on the negative things that are happening right now and do not give it energy. Just give energy to what you do want and it will happen okay. Hooah!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

dog

63 months ago

just forget it just go to the mil.com in the hiring ssection and you can see howm many veteran are upset with so called non veteran hiring prefernce

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dog

63 months ago

Does anti-veteran bias exist within the corridors of government. OF COURSE IT DOES - there's not a single government agency that isn't permeated with the stench of anti-veteran bias. And so while you struggle to find work in the Human Resources field and work on your college degree, there are plenty of jobs within our government within the Human Resources field. In this down economy, government is one of the few organizations that are hiring and increasing the number of hirees. I work for a federal civil service organization called Military Sealift Command and my story is sad and long - suffice it to say that although they say they're a vet-friendly organization, personnel from my own employer have derided me for being a vet and telling me that my vet status isn't a factor. The solution is going to have to take more activism on the part of organizations like the VA, the Labor Dept (especially the V.E.T.S. division), OPM, State and local Veteran affairs department to get involved to turn this around. The current unemployment rate for vets right now hovers between 14 to 15% - 50% larger than the current national average. The unemployment for young vets is a national catastrophe because their unemployment rate is 2 to 3 times higher than the average for non-vets their age. Yet, our government does nothing to alleviate these ongoing crisises. Organizations like the VFW and American Legion are now starting to get active on this warfront. Don't limit your search just to the federal government, look at State, local, county, municipal, towns, cities and other government agencies looking to hire Human Resources personnel. I have a degree in Political Science but I have yet to find a federal government agency who holds my degree in government in high esteem. You might want to consider a minor in something else to prop up that Humanities degree you're seeking. Being a vet should be a blessing and not a curse and having a college degree should open doors not close e

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

playball in Campbell, Texas

63 months ago

i also have been applying for government jobs and all responses have been, "do not qualify." i have a bachelors and masters degree. retired military. so how can it be that anythinga and everything i apply for, i do not qualify. im not applying to be a surgeon or astornaut. veterans have made a sacrifice and over 50% of all vets or without a job or homeless. a majority of ppl that hold government jobs have never served in the military. i understand that we all need jobs, but where is the justice in we dont need you anymore and goodluck on the outside. buh-bye. yes im frustrated, we are not damaged goods. we posses better leadership skills than most and believe in loyalty, honor and dedication. so why can be find a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TRUTH

63 months ago

THE TRUTH IS THERE IS ANTI VETERAN SENTIMENT COMMING FROM THESE GOVERNMENT HR OFFICES. THE FACTS ARE THERE IN BLACK AND WHITE WHAT THEY ARE HIRING IN NUMBERS OF VETERANS AND IT IS A SLAP IN THE FACE. ENLISTED VETERANS ARE GETTING THE SAHEFT THE ONLY JOBS WE CAN GET IS THE GS-1 TO GS5 JOBS AND YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FOR THOSE THE BEST THING TO DO IS REQUEST THE FOIA INOFRMTATION FROM THESE JBS AND WRITE YOUR POLITICIANS BECAUSE THEY KNOW ITS HAPPENING BUT NOTHING IS BEING DONE. THERE IS SO MANY ARTICLES ON VETERAN PREFERNCE AND IT IS FULL OF LOOPHOLES, ITS NOT VETERAN PREFERNCE ITS CALLED VETERANS DISINTEREST A MOCKERY. WE ARE JUST 1 OF 48 HIRING AUTHORITYS AND WE HAVE NO PRIOIRITY. WRITE YOUR POLITICIANS TELL THEM THAT VETERAN PREFERNCE NEEDS TO BEE REDONE AND THSES ANTI VETERAN SENTIMENT NEEDS TO BE FIRED FROM GOVERNMENT OR WERE FIRE YOU. ALL VETERANS GET IS ALOT OF LIP SERVICE BOTH REPUBLICAN AND DEMOS ARE FULL OF DANCING LIP SERVICE JIVE. ITS LIKE WHATS GOING ON NOW WITH THE MEDICAL THEY CAN'T AGREE WITH ANYTHING EVEN WHEN PARTY HAS THE WHITE HOUSE. ITS A JOKE. MAYBE AMERICAN NEEDS A NEW 3RD PARTY BECAUSE THE TWO WE HAVE ARE JUST ON THE SAME ROAD. THERE LOOSING MILITARY AND MEDICAL RECORDS AND THERE ONLY WORDS SORRY WHY THE VA GIVES YOU THE SHAFT. AMERICA DOES NOT UNDERSTAND WE HAVE THESE GROUPS LIKE THE DAV AND WE START THESE WITH OUR MONEY BECAUSE THE GOVERNMNET IS NOIT THERE FOR US, THERE MORE AGAINST US, WERE LIKE AN OLD KLENX WANTS THEY DIRTY US AND DAMGE US THEY WANT TO THROW US IN FILE 13. LOOK HOW MANY VETERANS ARE WATING FOR COMPENSATION AND LOOK HOW THEY LOST RECORDS, THERE SHOULD BE A LAW- THE VA DON'T DO IT 2 YEARS ITS AUTOMATICALLY APPROVED, ENOUGH OF THE GAMES. PEOPLE ASK ME SHOUKD THEY SERVE --NO-WAY- WHY SO THEY CAN GO THROUGHT THE NIGHTMARE TOO,V ETERANS EVEN HAVE TO FIGHT FOR JOBSM THE DOL/VETS IS USELESS AND THEY WERE TO MSPB WHICH YOU NEED TO GIVE A ANOTHER ARM OR LEG TO GET A LAWYER TO FIGHT YOUR GOVERNMENT TO GET A JOB. GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NON-VET in Denver, Colorado

60 months ago

Hello Everyone,
I am a non-vet who disagrees. First of all, I understand and feel for you. I am unemployed (and overqualified) and having a hard time finding a decent permanent position too. But did you know that you DO have priority for so many jobs under many government agencies? I have been passed up by vets roughly 70% of the time for jobs BECAUSE of the Vet priority laws. I can be MORE qualified than a vet and he/she will pass me because of the priority. I have experienced REVERSE discrimination! So don't give up and keep applying. Just don't apply for the same jobs I'm applying for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

sarge in Greenville, Texas

60 months ago

im a retired dis vet with master degree and cant even get a job paying minumum wage so do even try to say its reverse decrimination. putting down that your a vet or even a war vet has no merit. its a good ole boy system and they are going to hire friends. but your welcome for letting me have the opportunity for you to have that freedom

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TRUTH

59 months ago

WHY STAY IN THE SERVICE, THIS IS WHY THE VA AND MANY GOVENMENRAGENCIES ARE THE WAY THEY ARE, TEY HIRE AOT OF CIVILIANS WHO NEVER SERVED, LOOK AT THE VA FACT 30 PERVENT VETERANS WORK INSIDE THE va BUT THE BOSSES, MANY NEVER NEVER SERVED AND THERE BEAN COUNTERS-, lOOK AT ARE OWN COUNTRY OUR COUNTRY HAS VOTTED IN DRAFT DOGGERS-AND GUESS WHAT THEY ALREADY TOLD YOU WHAT THEY THINK OF THERE COUNTRY THEY SAID 889 YOU. tHE RICH RAN, BUT THEY SURE CAN START WARS FAST WHERE WERE THEY, BUSH HIS DADDY HIM HE NEVER SERVED, CHANEY, DRAF DOGGER AND THERE THE BIGGEST WAR MONGERS, CLINTON AND HE WAS EVEN ON A ROTC SCHORLARSHIP SEE THESE RICH EPOPLE GET ALL THE PERKS AND GOOD COLLEGES BUT WHEN THEY HAVE TO DEFENT THERE COUNTRY THEY COME UP WITH MEDICL DESQUALIFYING HEMMROIDS. BUT THEY SERVE OUR COUNTRY AND GIVE AMERICA ALLA HEMMROID, CLINTON BUSH AND MANY OTHER RUIN THIS NATION WE AS A COUNTRY NEED TO STOP ELECTING DRAFT DOGGERS, BCAUSE YOUR PEEING ON THE ONES WHO SERVED. nOW oBAMA SAYS HES GOING TO HELP SERVICE MEMEBERS WITH JOB, HOW THE ONLY WAY IS TO THROUGH OUT THE OLD LAWS BECAUSE THEY HAVE TOO MANY LOOP HOLES. AND WE ARE NOT A PRIRIORTY. lok at our ecnom this economy was sank on purpose, this was no accident there is no accidents, one they needed people in the military it so bad they went after illegals, now they have lines they know a draft would of sparked demonstrations for a war that is a lie. Veterans like our benefits ae a joke we hae to fight for even the benefits that are there look at compensation rates, there loosing records even at the records area, then its your fault they lost your records they deny your compensation claim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

just like when soldiers where coming back from afgan and iraq to walter reed and the condition it was in. politicians didnt do anything about it until it was reported on the news. then they got involved until, as it always does, become old news. we (vets) go unemployment services and see vet reps, get the same thing as everyone else, just that we may not have to sit in a lobby for as long as others. then we get the same job recommendations as everyone else and yet we still go back to the umemployment agency over and over. whats the use of having a vet rep. we still dont get a job. then if we want to go to the va you have to see your primary care doctor. im a dis vet and was told that i had to see my primary care doctor to get a referral to see a va doctor for the thing that im on disability for.

hell, im not even sure why i bother to write about this. only people that understand are the vets and war vets that have to go through this buerocratic redtape bs. even if politicians did read this it wouldnt matter cause its nothing thats going to get them in the news or a matter that will get them re-elected. its the same old lip service as most "thanks for serving..." they dont ever remember your name or face and enjoy the liberty that we have provided.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

just wanted to add this site, maybe politicians would listen if we had more ppl like this

goooh.com/Learn.aspx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

It has been a year since I started this question, and a lot has changed since then.

They found me "unemployable" and granted me disability...after I was nearly evicted from my home, and my car was already repossessed. I am now on antidepressants that make me feel worse, and I hate the fact that I am not working. I am 29, and I WANT TO WORK. I have seen every single vet rep in the Metro Atlanta area, posted my resume on USAJOBS, CPOL, and "military friendly" job sites, but no success. The veterans preference doesn't work, and its very frustrating. I try to be strong and smile when things are tough, but I dont think I can do that anymore. When you have worked for so long (8 years Active duty Army) you have to keep working to fill that void. I go to school full time, but I finish my work so quickly, that I still feel like I am not doing anything.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I agree. It's all about the "buddy system" nowadays. Its all about who you know, and now about the training or knowledge. Then they have to spend more money training them because they "over exaggerated" on their resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Veteran in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

Hello everyone. I myself am an 8 yr army veteran as well. After I got out I was very productive. I worked a few contract(unsecure) jobs for the Army stateside and overseas and made good money and went to school at the same time (while in the states) to get a trade for the civilian job market cause I did not count on getting government employment. Non-veterans and many private industry idiots who despise vets think that we got it so good because of the veteran preference system in place today. Well I got nes for them, THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH GOVERNMENT JOBS TO GO AROUND TO EMPLOY EVER VETERAN. So with that said alot of us vets need private industry jobs. I personally feel alot of private industry businesses will not hire vets because they are under the myth that the government will provise us with jobs or big benefits forever. If only they know how stupid they are. Not everyone will get GS jobs or disability benefits. So I praise FOXSHA75 for doing hat she did and I did the SAME EXACT THING. If the government or society wont give us gratitude for our service that we deserve, then go to the VA and file for disability for any condition you feel was a result of your military service just to help kake ends meet. My claim has not been approved yet but I hope it works out. I am suggesting that every veteran does their best to rape the VA or government for as much as you can cause they raped us as much as they can while we were in. Anyone who has a problem with what I said can stick it where the sun don't shine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

And even with a 2yr. college degree in Industrial Maintenance Technology I am having trouble getting a position after sending my resume out to hundreds of job postings as well as having several interviews. Right now the market is more focused on the perfect candidate who has the most experience. Its a shame that as a veteran with a college trade I am being overlooked by a bunch of job hopping civilians just because they may have time in the manufacturing industry or working as a technician. Im beginning to think that going to college for a trade is a waist of time and money now if employers are less willing to give you a start now and days. Meanwhile alot of adults and recent HS grads are attending college thinking it will land them a better future when right now it will not. These colleges are raising tuition and getting filthy rich but there is no guarantee to get employment with the exception of the medical field in this day and time. One of the problems is that alot of the baby boomers are still floating around the job market and those of us who are a younger generation have to wait for them to leave the market so we can get in. Well we cannot afford to wait for that to happen. All adults need jobs and income. Just want to think all you veterans for your service and let you all know that it is I atleast who appreciates your service if no one does. If I am ever fortunate enough to start a business, atleast 90% of my staff will be vets if I can help it. It will be mine and can hire who I want just like these guys do now despite all the EEO laws the government has in place that does not change any of the hiring practices and discrimination that has been occuring for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lawrence daniels in Indiana

59 months ago

hey, have u tried the department of veteran affairs, they encourage veterans to apply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

i actually had a foreman tell me that its vets like us thats makes thier taxes so high. of course he never served a day in the military, but sure benefits of our work to provide what americans have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

sarge in Greenville, Texas said: i actually had a foreman tell me that its vets like us thats makes thier taxes so high. of course he never served a day in the military, but sure benefits of our work to provide what americans have.

Well Sarge not to get political, but thats sounds like something a conservative would say. That party only cares about vets in uniform but once they are out of uniform they are nothing but tax burdens right. Oh well, for some odd reason many veterans are republicans but one day they will wake up and realize that military personnel are their slaves while they are in then once they get out they wanna feed them to the wolves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

well like ive said in previous comments. Most will say thank you but in the end its all just lip service. no one will know the burden of freedom until they have been through the hell of war for that sacrifice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

civmar in Santa Monica, California

59 months ago

What I said a few months ago about the disrespect for the vet in the job market still reigns true right now. However, I believe there may be hope on the horizon. A couple of months ago, President Obama signed an executive order called the Veteran Employment Initiative and forming the Council for Veteran Employment. I think this is better than the billions of dollars that were poured into programs (which were really catch-phrases) like Hire Vets First, Fulfilling the Commitment, Wounded Warrior, SMOCTA, VEOA, VRA, USERRA, etc. The only thing these programs resulted in was increasing number of unemployed vets in the labor market. It appears that President Obama wants to make the federal government the premier employer of vets so that would encourage private industry to hire vets. The sad fact is that there are many federal, state, and local government agencies who still look on vets and those with college degrees with disdain. There's nothing better that exemplifies the struggles the vet faces in the job market when our own government admits that the veteran unemployment rate is 10 to 20% higher than it is for the general public. I still maintain that the vet preference is a sham. However, hope is on the horizon. I recently attended a mandatory training course offered by my employer. I stumbled into a class of new hires - and about 80 to 90% of these new hires were vets. A few years ago, my employer was hiring out of the Phillipines to satisfy their personnel shortages. I will hold out my judgement on President Obama's executive order until I know what the results come from this Veteran Employment Initiative and Council on Veteran Employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

What you said sounds real nice and hopeful but you have to think how many private industry businesses and corporations have embraced Obama's policies, ideas, and initiatives enough to ramp up hiring for veterans let alone hiring at all.The answer is NONE!! Hell, there is even a tax credit available to businesses who hire veterans. A few weeks ago I asked on a yahoo answers forum why businesses wont take advantage of that tax credit and everyone responded back with the same type of answer stating that as business managers they are least concerned with tax credits and are more worried about hiring the perfect fit person for the job. A few said that if qualifications were "perfectly" equal in their eyes between a vet or a non vet then they will choost the vet.

So that right there states how much businesses really embrace government policies and initiatives. The only way the the tax credit for hiring a vet will actually be effective is if they raise the credit from $2400 per yr to like $10000 per yr because that 2400 tax credit is not meaningful enough to hire veterans. Trust me I know I had been on many interviews and applied to hundreds of job ads that I have qualifications for over the last 6 months out here in the good ol state of Texas which people claim is the most veteran friendly state. YEAH WHATEVER!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

To add to that note, another effective measure would me to sign a law into effect stating that a business must have a certain percentage of their workforces to be veterans but I highly doubt that will go down and plus I can hear conservatives once again turning into cry babies about how the government is sticking their nose in the private sector where it does not belong.
Unfortunately the government and society is still under the philosophical myth that the GI bill is the best thing they can do for a vet and is suppose to be a tool that successfully can get them in the civilian workforce smoothly. Well I will tell you right now that bussiness no longer honor college, technical school, or any kind of vocational training as real world experience. So once the vet does get a college trade he/she will be know different then a young 20-23 year old graduate looking to begin a real world career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

playball in Whitewright, Texas

59 months ago

yep, im in texas also. va put me through university but only what they wanted me to get degree in and not what i thought i would be better fit for. so i got the degree went on to get my masters on my own dime and more classes after that. 12 yrs of service with some pretty amazing life experiences on top of this. now here i am, out of work. cant find a job unless i move closer to big city which will have to do. even then the jobs dont pay very well. the ironic thing is what i wanted to do, nursing, which va said would be too stressful, have jobs available everywhere. now i can go back to school for a two year degree and get a nursing job just about anywhere which is what im going to try to do. as it stands for now i just get "thats a very impressive resume but your not what we are looking for". so what im getting out of the replies are, i have a higher standard and moral obligation from the training that ive received from the military and that would clash in our beliefs and standards of not giving a crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Office Queen in West Palm Beach, Florida

59 months ago

playball in Whitewright, Texas said: yep, im in texas also. va put me through university but only what they wanted me to get degree in and not what i thought i would be better fit for. so i got the degree went on to get my masters on my own dime and more classes after that. 12 yrs of service with some pretty amazing life experiences on top of this. now here i am, out of work. cant find a job unless i move closer to big city which will have to do. even then the jobs dont pay very well. the ironic thing is what i wanted to do, nursing, which va said would be too stressful, have jobs available everywhere. now i can go back to school for a two year degree and get a nursing job just about anywhere which is what im going to try to do. as it stands for now i just get "thats a very impressive resume but your not what we are looking for". so what im getting out of the replies are, i have a higher standard and moral obligation from the training that ive received from the military and that would clash in our beliefs and standards of not giving a crap.

I have compassion for u, this is really unfair, but don't give up, keep trying. Most important, if u believe in God, pray to him to give u strength and help, he will surely hear u, just be patient. God will not leave u nor forsake u, believe me I have experienced this. Don't lose hope, keep the faith. May Jehovah, God keep u in his care and keeping. I have been unemployed for 2 years, I'm going back to school to take up Graphic Design. I gotta do something, so I figured if I go back to school and change my whole career it will help me find a job. Take care. I will pray for u.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Live Frugally in Duluth, Minnesota

59 months ago

I have been looking for a job for over a year. It's pointless out there right now. You won't find anything. I've learned to live cheaper and have written about it in my blog. Find ways to cut costs. www.livefrugallyordiebroke.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

read alot on your site, seems like a good one. only one problem, i dont have a job either and have no money coming in. watched obamas address the other night, was kinda inspiring, except the point that umemployment is only 10%, not here it isnt. maybe he should be more specific. o and all the new jobs that have been created and more americans are working now because of it. yaeh, what about the ones that lost thier jobs and arent working. what about the businesses that have closed or gone bankrupt. not talking about big, bailout companies, well except GM (greed). im talking smaller companies. some chain some local, throughout the US. ive applied for just about everything, i cant even find a welding job and i did that for over 20yrs. i have two masters, one in exercise science and the other in exercise physiology. cant even find a job sweeping gym floors. now here i am, no money coming in. about to lose everything. most of my furniture has already been sold. hmmm wondering if you make any money off your blog?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I think Obama is on the right track now. If the opposition (Republicans, Big business, corporations) will support his ideas and quit trying to block his agenda which is affecting plenty of American people, things will drastically improve. What has to happen is that these parties need to put their differences aside and the republicans need to put some of their philosophies aside and just vote with democrats to help the people. The republicans complaining about the debt and spending is not going to solve anything. Unfortunately we are in difficult times where the government has to spend to help get the nation on its feet again. The reason why republicans oppose the spending is because their constituents or the wealthy is worried that their taxes will go up to cover pay for the deficit. Like Obama said he did not raise taxes on anybody as of yet with the exception of the tobacco tax which ticked me off. So if Repubs would get their head out of their butts and stop trying to secretly vote NO on everything to satisfy the wealthy then ordinary Americans and veterans like us will be able to see swift results. And if anyone disagrees with what I say then you need to wake up and do your research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

FEDUPVET in Pikeville, Kentucky

58 months ago

America treats its VETS like dogs, I can't even get a job shovling coal in Kentucky, its all daddys boys and favors, I say draft some of these peoples kids tht are doing the hiring. Then it will be a different story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

veteran in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

FEDUPVET in Pikeville, Kentucky said: America treats its VETS like dogs, I can't even get a job shovling coal in Kentucky, its all daddys boys and favors, I say draft some of these peoples kids tht are doing the hiring. Then it will be a different story.

That is soooo true. That's just like George Bush not having any family members serving. See what I learned the problem is is that those who never served feel that veterans like us have a since of entitlement and feel that it was our choice to join them military. So yes, maybe if their kids were drafted or if they had immediate family members in the military that had been through that lifestyle and left home to fight in wars that a majority of us did not intentionally join for, then they will inderstand why veterans and strong veteran supporters feel that veterans are "entitled" to good or descent jobs! Knowing what I know now, I'll be damned if I let any child in my family or that I know join the military after high school. I mean why join and serve when statistics and facts show that those who never served end up better off then those who have in most cases?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

darlaglibbery in Great Falls, Montana

57 months ago

My husband just retired from the military on 3/1/10, and he is having the same problem. He's gotten alot of interviews, but no one will hire him. It seems like people will hire meth addicted losers before hiring him. I do have one theory, however. I have noticed that alot of military men,(I haven't noticed this with women) are sexist pigs, with macho attitudes who think that they can boss everyone around and be abusive to the people who are subordinate to them just like in the military. In the civilian sector, you just can't treat people like that. You can't act like you do in the military. I know that at almost every job that I've held, if a supervisor was prior military, he was distinctly unpleasant to work with. I don't think all former military men are like this, but the ones who are give the nice ones a bad name. My husband was put down in the military because he wasn't sexist and abusive toward me and had respect for women. I know that eventually people will figure out that he is not an ex-military "jerk" and that he will be a good employee who works well with others. Also, we in the civilian world don't like the "superior" attitude of most ex-military people. You need to learn that your experience in the military means NOTHING in the civilian sector. It does not translate at all.Because the civlilian sector is nothing like the military.In the civlian sector, you get in big trouble if you verbally abuse a subordinate, or show disrespect to women. If you lose that "superior" attitude you might find it easier to get jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

civmar in Irvine, California

57 months ago

6 months ago I wrote an opinion to the vet who was having problems finding work in the Human Resources field and I followed on with a further comment 2 months ago. Sad to say but a couple of weeks ago, I saw an article stating that vet unemployment is now at 21.1% - more than twice the national average. This is a stunning statistic and a stunning failure on the part of our government. Currently, many war-weary vets are transitioning from the front line to the unemployment line and then to the park bench. In an economy that is suppose to be so inclusive of all segments of American society, it is vets who are increasingly finding themselves more and more excluded from the economic and labor of this great country of ours. This quite possibly be the greatest unknown crisis facing our society. We're not talking disabled vets, vets suffering from PTSD, etc. - we're talking about over 20% of a segment of our society who lay down their lives to protect this great nation and are rewarded with chronic long-term unemployment and homelessness. The percentile of unemployed vets is at it's highest rate since the end of WW2 and is even higher than it was for vets returning from the unpopular war in Vietnam. I have called the unemployment rate of vets a "Katrina-like" disaster and that's exactly what it is. Unless our government devotes serious resources to alleviating the absurdly high rate of Iraq and Afghan war vets, then no willing American will want to join the armed services (knowing that it will be more difficult for them to succeed in the labor market than it is for the non-vet) thus forcing our government to resort to conscription and draft to fill our armed services needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

civmar in Irvine, California

57 months ago

6 months ago I wrote an opinion to the vet who was having problems finding work in the Human Resources field and I followed on with a further comment 2 months ago. Sad to say but a couple of weeks ago, I saw an article stating that vet unemployment is now at 21.1% - more than twice the national average. This is a stunning statistic and a stunning failure on the part of our government. Currently, many war-weary vets are transitioning from the front line to the unemployment line and then to the park bench. In an economy that is suppose to be so inclusive of all segments of American society, it is vets who are increasingly finding themselves more and more excluded from the economic and labor of this great country of ours. This quite possibly be the greatest unknown crisis facing our society. We're not talking disabled vets, vets suffering from PTSD, etc. - we're talking about over 20% of a segment of our society who lay down their lives to protect this great nation and are rewarded with chronic long-term unemployment and homelessness. The percentile of unemployed vets is at it's highest rate since the end of WW2 and is even higher than it was for vets returning from the unpopular war in Vietnam. I have called the unemployment rate of vets a "Katrina-like" disaster and that's exactly what it is. Unless our government devotes serious resources to alleviating the absurdly high rate of Iraq and Afghan war vets, then no willing American will want to join the armed services (knowing that it will be more difficult for them to succeed in the labor market than it is for the non-vet) thus forcing our government to resort to conscription and draft to fill our armed services needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A disabled combat vet

57 months ago

Tim: I am glad that you found your perfect place. Some of us are not that lucky post military, sir. I feel you are missing the major point here. Whether we spend four or fourty years in the military, we have lost out on many things. One of the biggest besides family things is the fact that we lost out on starting a career equally. You speak sir about everyone being judged fairly but in reality for many of us it did not and does not happen. For many of us, disabled or not in many cases we are ignored, overlooked and our skills are not even given a chance to be used. While you may have tried to give the best person qualified the jobs, many employeers are not. I as does yourself, have a BA, MA and PHD. I am also disabled and many people with jobs don't even give us a second look. The teaching profession that I sub in every day hires people just out of school and many times it is a budget thing. We cost too much so we get passed over or never interviewed or have the district even look at our application, much more been given the once over to even see if we have skills a school can use. They do not even respond to our applications even with the laws in place in most states that mandate that they do this. The laws are the way they are to mandate that we get considered and given preference for hiring. It doesn't work many times sir and that is not the fairness that you say you have. When this does not happen, how are we supposed to level the field so all of us get the chance to work. You may be fair but many again are not due to politics, the good old boy mentality or just plain apathy on the hiring persons part. We fight this battle every day for fairness and most times it never or seldom happens. This is why it is the way it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Davy in Murrieta, California

52 months ago

Wow lots of Ignorance here.
Vets get 5 points of preference in any government position.
If a 10 point vet applies, Only veterans can be accepted for that position.
With the economy as it is, veterans are getting the vats majority of entry level positions, because as soon as a 10 point vet applies all civilians are blocked no matter how awesome they are.
Government anti-military? please... they get a huge advantage when applying for government positions.
You may be having a hard time because entry level or even mid level positions are getting 100-300 applicants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.