Relocating to NC, looking for work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (45)

Diane in NY in New York, New York

62 months ago

I want to relocate from NYC to Wilmington, NC. I realize the salaries there are MUCH lower than in NYC, but how do I go about finding out what the salaries are there for legal secretaries. Employment agencies won't even talk to me because I'm not sure of my move date. But I don't want to go down there without a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shelley in Blanchard, Michigan

62 months ago

I understand where you're coming from. I want to move to NC also, but I will need a job down there before I can move. Unless I just go down there for a month or so to see what the job atmosphere is like. If I don't find a job down there then I have not only wasted a month, but also money that I really need to hold to right now. Unless I have someone to go with me to help share expenses I don't know how I could manage to do it Diane so I'm in the same place as you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Shelly, I called some employment agencies and most didn't even want to talk to me. But I found one that is willing to meet with me. I'm going down there at the end of the month and hope that this employment counsellor can shed some light on the atmosphere there. With the job market as bad as it is, I'm not sure this relocation will happen this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Diane in NY in New York, New York said: Shelly, I called some employment agencies and most didn't even want to talk to me. But I found one that is willing to meet with me. I'm going down there at the end of the month and hope that this employment counsellor can shed some light on the atmosphere there. With the job market as bad as it is, I'm not sure this relocation will happen this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

That would be great Diane. I want to get into Pharmaceutical Sales or Business Health Admin. What worries me is that I am 49 and I don't know if that is going to be a problem. I just want to get out of this state and go to NC where it's warmer in the winters and work at what I would really like to do. Good Luck! I look forward to hearing from you and what you find out. Take care.
Shelley

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

62 months ago

Do you all realize we're in a recession? Do you realize what the unemployment rate is in each state (its been on the web many times)? Do you realize you may get there - and find there are no jobs available?

If the United States has lost almost 700,000 jobs in January in February, where is your job going to come from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Yes Mary, I realize that and probably Diane does too. Do you realize that in MI the unemployment rate is over 10% now? Do you have any information of what the unemployment rate is in NC? Do have any information about what states in the US have the lowest unemployment rate? How about the chances of older workers possibly getting employment in any of those states? I haven't stuck my head in a hole while all of this is going on. All of my family is here in MI and I don't want to leave, but how am I going to live especially since I'm alone and trying to survive on almost nothing. Do you have any helpful suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Yes Mary I do realize all of that. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

62 months ago

Em, helpful suggestions. I love to give helpful suggetions. I'm 51, three college degrees. (1) Get out of Michigan. I grew up in Flint, left at age 23. Except for summer, Michigan sucks. (2) I posted on one of the forums the UM rate by state (about two months ago). In Tampa it's almost 11% now. In Dallas it is about 8% now. Almost everywhere it is high.

If you have to be unemployed, living on almost nothing, at least do it where it's warm (like NC, FL). I got a roommate. I am getting food stamps. I am doing substitute teaching. I never thought I would be working doing only day work for $10.00 an hour.

62 months ago

Hi Mary, I know what you're saying about everywhere, even oversees. It's a very sad situation for both of us and to mention everyone else in this country. Flint never did recover from the steel and manufacturing losses and it makes me wonder about the car companies. I am lucky that I receive food stamps too and state disability which is only 234.00 a month. I'm constantly going from one agency to the next until I'm through with school. I have been through a lot of emotional stuff that I am having a hard time with. But anyway, any place has got to be even a little better than here and by body can't hardly stand the cold anymore. I don't want to leave my family and friends, but after school is done, it is something that I'm seriously considering. It's just sad that our country is in this situation. I never thought that in my life I would ever have to consider it, maybe my kids leaving, but I always wanted to have their home to come home to.
Shelley
PS Good Luck trying to find something in your field. Maybe you could start a small business in the field of home tutoring a group of students either at a school after hours or your home.

62 months ago

Shelley in Blanchard, Michigan said: That would be great Diane. I want to get into Pharmaceutical Sales or Business Health Admin. What worries me is that I am 49 and I don't know if that is going to be a problem. I just want to get out of this state and go to NC where it's warmer in the winters and work at what I would really like to do. Good Luck! I look forward to hearing from you and what you find out. Take care.
Shelley

Hi Diane,
I forgot to ask you what type of work you are looking for? Do any of those employment agencies deal with pharm reps and if they do would you want to let me know which ones do? I would appreciate it. Job counselors say that the most popular thing to do and about the best way to find a job these days is networking. I go to the website called LinkIn. It's a networking site for just about everyone.
Thanks,
Shelley

62 months ago

How about if you two think about Dallas, Georgia or Douglasville, Georgia. They're both outside of Atlanta. I have been houseshopping for several years (if I ever get to sell my house in too-hot Florida and go somewhere else). Dallas and Douglasville, you can get a house for $50,000.00 (or less). Even if you only have $5,000 to put down, you can have a very low house payment. These are nice houses with lots of trees and backyards. Go to yahoo, real estate, type in both cities and see what's there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Hi Mary, I thought about Texas. How about AL. My son leaves for Iraq next month and when he comes back to the states he will be stationed there. Right now he's in Fort Hood, TX. He wanted me to move there last fall, but then I found out this other info. I told that if he's going to Iraq and then coming back to AL that I didn't want to move to TX, I don't know anyone there. Georgia would be good too.

62 months ago

I've also checked on Fort Worth, Texas. It's not too far from Dallas. There is a light winter, maybe a snow storm. Go to Yahoo, then real estate. You can get a house there for $60,000 (or less). But you have to be careful with the house taxes. They tend to be in the $2,000 a year bracket. I also liked Montgomery and Birmingham. (I have been comparing other areas for a few years). Right now, I find the best value is Dallas and Douglasville, GA.

I have a friend who grew up in Chicago, then lived in California, then moved to Florida (which she hated) for about 15 years. Then moved to California. She said California "nickle and dimed" her to death. She bought a new house in a suburb of Houston. I've been there. The weather is nice.

The odd thing about "not knowing anyone" - really, except for your immediate family, just who do you know - except for the people you work with. So happens, I have three friends I have had for years. One in Houston, one in Michigan, and one in Florida. You will find after moving, that not knowing anyone, becomes insignificant. You can always e-mail your family and friends on a daily basis.

62 months ago

If your son is going to Fort McClellan, that is only 80 miles from Dallas or Douglasville, GA. That's a short drive for visiting.

Your goal right now, since you're at least 50, is to secure your financial future. You can buy a house for 45,000, that is fairly new and nice, and has a nice yard in a nice neighborhood, and the weather is decent. You can end up with a house payment of $350 a month. Drive a used car. My car is eleven years old.

Once you have financial security, a lot of your worries will be over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deidra in New York, New York

62 months ago

Diane and Shelley I do know what you are talking about I too am moving to NC by June of this year and am looking for a job as an Administrative Assistant I have 5+ years experience with a BA degree yes it is hard but if you just keep loooking I'm sure somthing will come along. Housing is also a big issuse I know although I did find a nice angency that will help me with some rent to own property's with a little money down it will not be as hard as trying to buy a house, find a job and get on my feet.

62 months ago

Hi Deidra,

Have you heard that there are plenty of jobs in our area? May I ask what agency you contacted that is helping you? I will probably rent an apartment but I need to find one that will accept pets as I have a dog and I'm not leaving without her. I suppose to some that may sound silly, but she's like my child and we've been through a lot together. Stay in touch okay. My email is she1216@yahoo.com. Thanks for the info

Shelley

HB2 in New York, New York

62 months ago

Hi Shelley I do not want to move to michigan I am trying to move closer to my best friend who lives in marshville NC so I want to get to Monroe NC or Wingate NC so a job in charlotte nc would be perfect. The agency is BDF realty ask for Brett he is very nice tell him I sent you he is really a helpful,if look for a job could be as easy as look for an apt I would already have one. you stay in touch too my email is carlosemny@yahoo.com if I hear about anything I let you know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Hi HB2,
I wouldn't want to live here either. It will be hard leaving Michigan because this is where I grew up and all of my family is here. I will be really lucky if I find something here. I will keep in touch and thank you for letting me know about the agency and Brett.
Shelley

Anonymous in Blanchard, Michigan

60 months ago

Shelley in Blanchard, Michigan said: Hi HB2,
I wouldn't want to live here either. It will be hard leaving Michigan because this is where I grew up and all of my family is here. I will be really lucky if I find something here. I will keep in touch and thank you for letting me know about the agency and Brett.
Shelley

Hi Shelley,
Strangely enough, I also live in Blanchard. I came across this forum just outta the blue. Just wondering how things are going for you. Did you move? Did you find a job? Times are tough everywhere, but especially in Michigan. I feel like the rest of the country is going through what Michigan has been going through for quite some time. Maybe that means we'll come out of this recession quicker than the rest! Actually I hope we all come out of it quick. So many people are just scraping by, barely surviving... I just hope it gets better soon...

Good luck to ya!

60 months ago

Hi,

May I ask what your name is? I'm almost through with school. Hopefully spring of 2010. I have also added a couple of medical courses with my degree hoping that maybe I can find a position in either a dental office or physicians office. I really want to get into pharmaceutical sales. That is my main goal. I have started making two different resumes, one for pharmaceutical sales and then one for a physicians office or dental office. Thank you for the Good Luck. I really need it.

Shelley

60 months ago

Hi again,

I hope things get better in Michigan too and I think you're right about Michigan..lol. Wouldn't that be something. The thing is is that people in Michigan are going to have to change their careers from manufacturing to something that has to do with science and math. I am not smart in either one of those...lol..wish I was. I am also taking a couple of medical classes to help with my associates. I might be able to get a job in a clinic or hospital as a receptionist or maybe something in billing. I would really like to get into pharmaceutical sales. It's my main goal. I guess we'll see what happens. My age might be a factor in getting hired somewhere too.

Shelley

Maggie in Marietta, Georgia

59 months ago

Diane in NY in New York, New York said: I want to relocate from NYC to Wilmington, NC. I realize the salaries there are MUCH lower than in NYC, but how do I go about finding out what the salaries are there for legal secretaries. Employment agencies won't even talk to me because I'm not sure of my move date. But I don't want to go down there without a jr.

You might check postings on Craigslist. The Star-News Online posts postions also. Wilmington has a lot of attorney's offices. The salarys are much lower but it is not as costly to live in NC, but it is more expensive than Atlanta, believe it or not. Your NYC resume should be enought to impress them. They give out a lot of traffic tickets there and that alone supports many of them! You should definitly move there. It is the greatest small city on the east coast in my opinion. You can work temp if you can't find full time. Good luck!!

59 months ago

I too am relocating to NC,and am looking for a job however if you don't start now when ever you have a move date you will not have a job. It has taken seven months but this week alone I have four interview in two days and it would not have happen if I didn't give myself a move date ( end of June) since I knew when I wanted to leave it made looking for a job a lot easier. If you have family down where you want to go ask them can you use their address or get a po box where they can check the mail for you, you will see that once you begin making the mnove in your head every thing else will fall in to place.

59 months ago

Maggie in Marietta, Georgia said: You might check postings on Craigslist. The Star-News Online posts postions also. Wilmington has a lot of attorney's offices. The salarys are much lower but it is not as costly to live in NC, but it is more expensive than Atlanta, believe it or not. Your NYC resume should be enought to impress them. They give out a lot of traffic tickets there and that alone supports many of them! You should definitly move there. It is the greatest small city on the east coast in my opinion. You can work temp if you can't find full time. Good luck!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been checking out the Star News online as well as craigslist and have seen a few interesting job listings. I guess I can't do much until I have a firm move date.

59 months ago

HB2 in New York, New York said: I too am relocating to NC,and am looking for a job however if you don't start now when ever you have a move date you will not have a job. It has taken seven months but this week alone I have four interview in two days and it would not have happen if I didn't give myself a move date ( end of June) since I knew when I wanted to leave it made looking for a job a lot easier. If you have family down where you want to go ask them can you use their address or get a po box where they can check the mail for you, you will see that once you begin making the mnove in your head every thing else will fall in to place.

I was so glad to receive your comment. This may sound very dense but . . .if I understood you right, seven months ago you started actively looking for work in Wilmington with an end of June start/move date? When I called some agencies, they told me not to even call them till I'm within a month of relocating. I already have housing and a local address I can use. My move date is the beginning of January. Did you use an agency to find your job? Do you have any recommendations for agencies? I'm looking for a legal secretary/legal assistant's job. I'm very encouraged to hear that you found work! Good luck!

59 months ago

Hi,
I too, want to relocate to NC. I'm finishing up my associates in business administration and would like to find a position down there. I'm from Michigan and there just isn't anything here. I don't know anyone in NC so this is a whole new event for me. The problem is, is that my son wants me to Texas and be there when he gets back from Iraq. I have so much on my plate right now that I don't know when I could move. It helps to know that if you have a move date then you can get more interviews. I guess I'm worried to that when I move down there will I be able to get a job once I'm there.

59 months ago

No I am relocating to charlotte nc and please do not wait until a month before going down start looking six or seven months before better safe then sorry. yes I finally went to appleone employment agency they were very helpful and they will send you regular emails with jobs they are repsenting and if you see a match email your counsulor and they will set up an interview for you, check out their website

Rwglide in Lillington, North Carolina

57 months ago

Diane,
I live in North Carolina and have all my life the job situation is not that great here but it is not that bad either the unemployment rate is around 7% the pay is not that great but on the otherhand you can a realy nice place for 500 to 800 a month prices are alot lower here also the only bad thing is we voted in a democrat for govenor again and all she talks about is raising taxes other than that NC is the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

PS I dont mind all you northerners coming down here but i wish you would leave your rude hyperactive attitudes up north when you come and just chill out the south is great the way it is thats why everyone wants to move here LOL be kind and say hello to your neighbors.

57 months ago

Dear Rwglide,
I realize that there are some Michiganders down there that are rude and obnoxious. As for myself, I'm pretty laid back and was taught when to thank you or no thankyou. On behalf of all the Michiganders down there, I would like to say I'm sorry for the rotten attitudes and what not. I want to move down there not only for a job, but for the beautiful state that it is. My daughter was down there for a week and told me that she would love to go back there and live. She also mentioned how nice everyone was and for the laid back attitude of everyone. That is what I would like about the state too.
Shelley
P.S. Michigan isn't so bad and most everyone have pleasant attitudes.

Beth in Wilmington, North Carolina

57 months ago

My advice is don't come! I have been looking for decent work here for months and nothing. Unless you don't mind $8/hr and can actually live on that. It's a nice area and all but unless you are in the medical field or an engineer or have upper management experience you are not going to find much. Problem is this is not a large area and not many jobs to go around.

57 months ago

Your right Beth. If there are only 8.00 an hour jobs down there then it isn't worth going there. I've been looking for a job for the last 2 years and there just isn't very much here, so I'm in school now and hopefully when I get done I'll be able to find a job here. My advice to you is that maybe you should go to school and become a nurse or something like that. Oh, and lighten up a little bit.

57 months ago

Shelly Thank you for the nice reply you have restored my faith in northerners you are more than welcome to come down here i wish that more people from up north had your attitude but a lot of them come down here and when you say hello to them and ask them how they are doing they act like you just slapped them and insulted their mother i was raised to be polite and courteous to others as were most of my friends and family it is the only way to be in the south don't believe the way Hollywood has portrayed us as dumb hillbillies that is why everyone wants to come here and you are most welcome hope you find a good job good luck and have a great day.

57 months ago

Thank you Rwglide. With a lot of unemployed up here everyone is leaving hoping to find work elsewhere, but there is no reason for anyone to act rude toward another person. Sometimes I think America needs a wake up call in this area. I don't think that will happen though, but thank you very much and hopefully I will get to North Carolina, even if for only a vacation. Have a great day.

Shelley

Michelle in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

I've lived in Charlotte, NC since 2000 and right now there are no jobs here, it doesn't look very good, and IMHO the cost of living here is high. You can't get a house for under 100K in a "good safe" neighborhood. Crime is a problem here and you have to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are in Charlotte. Sorry I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but that's my opinion of this area. I would love to move to the midwest or farther up north, but it appears the job outlook is not that great anywhere.

57 months ago

Thanks for the heads up Michelle. Maybe I won't try to move down there. Maybe Michigan will start picking up again soon. There have been so many people with their families that have left. My brother in law was offered a job in Iowa so he moved out there and my sister is still here because she has a great job. They see each other when they can. Thanks again.
Shelley from Michigan

Tiffany in Hainesport, New Jersey

55 months ago

Hello. I recently have been laid off twice in New Jersey and I am looking to get out of here fast and start brand new. The same goes for my boyfriend. We are 27 adn 28 years old and want to start our lives with a dependable career. I also have plenty of administrative experience. Do you have any suggestions for us? We were looking into the Atlanta or Charlotte areas but we are getting mixed feedback. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

mary in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

Well, if you get fired or laid off, North Carolina pays higher UB than Georgia. (That is something to think about). The pay for teachers in Georgia is higher than North Carolina - so that gives you a standard pay rate to follow. Georgia is less likely to have weather where you will have to evacuate. The prices for houses outside Atlanta (Dallas, Douglasville), are low ($40,000 plus). Atlanta is a big more of a drive for ocean time (is that good or bad). Atlanta gives you more opportunity for exploring.

There is a website, Spherion(?) That's where people give their review on where they live. Type in Spring Hill, Florida - and it should take you to the website.

Mike Loheac in Chester, New Jersey

53 months ago

I am currently planning to move my business to NC, I believe that this area (NY) is in for a long hard struggle and I am not willing to be the pocket book for all of the problems they have here.

Im on a 2 year plan with a satalite office there in 1. I cant wait to get out of here and be in a progressive state that is designed for the people...

My last visit to NC was such a feeling of looking at the way it should be done....Here, I cant see one thing that is done right..

I will be hireing people in NC, and I believe I am not alone, not by a long shot.. So all of you that are looking for work...IT IS COMING....Its just that some of the business owners are a little underwater with this economy, as soon as there is air, we are coming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pecanpie in Hartford, Connecticut

50 months ago

Diane in NY in New York, New York said: I want to relocate from NYC to Wilmington, NC. I realize the salaries there are MUCH lower than in NYC, but how do I go about finding out what the salaries are there for legal secretaries. Employment agencies won't even talk to me because I'm not sure of my move date. But I don't want to go down there without a job.

The pay scale is much lower than in our region of the country. Staffing agencies will not even extend an opportunity to interview as they are flooded with resumes. NC is warmer but it is not the promised land!

sabrina in Bogota, New Jersey

46 months ago

hello everyone. I currently reside in NJ, where I am paying 1200 w/o utilites for a 2 bedroom apt for me and my son. I got laid of about 5 weeks ago. I am relocating to Raleigh, NC in about 2 months because I can't affored to reside here anymore and I also have a job offer. I wanted to know because I am on foodstamps, do I have to reaply or can they transfer all of my paper work down there?

Bjay in Charlotte, North Carolina

46 months ago

I recently moved to Charlotte NC,on July 3, 2010,looking for job in Human Resource any type of Adminstrative or Healthcare Adminstration. Can anyone tell me where to look. It is going to be hard traveling back and forth to Camden. SC to work during the week and coming back to Charlotte on the week ends. My husband got a good job in Gastonia, now I need to find one myself. I have a Associates degree in Business Management. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

Ger in Clinton, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Diane in NY in New York, New York said: I want to relocate from NYC to Wilmington, NC. I realize the salaries there are MUCH lower than in NYC, but how do I go about finding out what the salaries are there for legal secretaries. Employment agencies won't even talk to me because I'm not sure of my move date. But I don't want to go down there without a job.

I just had to move from Gaston County to Pennsylvania because I was unable to find a job since moving there in February 2009. I found it a very closed society, job-wise and church-wise. I spent four years of dreaming of living in the Charlotte area and didn't get to spend half that long living there.
I had visited there in October 2008 to check the employment environment and it was optimistic. One employment agency agreed to meet with me and sign me up, but otheres refused to speak to me until I moved there. However, somewhere between that and moving westward from California in February 2009, jobs moved out. Then those company which did not want to speak to me in October 2008, refused to meet with me because they "did not have jobs".
The unemployment money ran out; I have been through my pension and 401(k). The money that I thought I could write off during my move was disallowed, as I did not get a job within 3 months after moving (long conversation with the IRS).
At the age of 50, I am now living with my 76 year old father.
Please reconsider your move if you already have a job.

Ger in Clinton, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Bjay in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I recently moved to Charlotte NC,on July 3, 2010,looking for job in Human Resource any type of Adminstrative or Healthcare Adminstration. Can anyone tell me where to look. It is going to be hard traveling back and forth to Camden. SC to work during the week and coming back to Charlotte on the week ends. My husband got a good job in Gastonia, now I need to find one myself. I have a Associates degree in Business Management. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

Network, network, network....try "pro-charlotte" in downtown charlotte....a free service to network, gain interviewing tips, etc. I came across it far too late to help, but it is a much more professional organization when you will find in Gaston County.

Susan Cox in West Palm Beach, Florida

18 months ago

Shelley in Blanchard, Michigan said: I understand where you're coming from. I want to move to NC also, but I will need a job down there before I can move. Unless I just go down there for a month or so to see what the job atmosphere is like. If I don't find a job down there then I have not only wasted a month, but also money that I really need to hold to right now. Unless I have someone to go with me to help share expenses I don't know how I could manage to do it Diane so I'm in the same place as you.

I also would like to move to North Carolina, and am actively searching for a position in the legal field. I get as far as a telephone interview, and then nothing. Any advice would be helful!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.