Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most administrative assistant opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario

81 months ago

I am a legal assistant at a major Canadian law firm and if you are good at what you do there is no end of jobs in this field. I did not have legal experience for my first job, but I happened to interview with a lawyer who was confident enough in his own abilities as a lawyer that he was willing to hire an assistant with little to no legal experience, but someone with top-notch secretarial skills, organized, a fast typist and a quick learner...
Eight years later and that was the best learning curve I experienced under his direction and training. I have moved on to another legal assistant job in another law firm, but I am now considered a highly marketable legal assistant and have interviewed for two positions recently and was offered both jobs, but I ended up refusing them.
I find in the legal field there are no end of opportunities for anyone with great skills and willing to work hard and would recommend it to anyone.
Of course if you are College educated in the legal assistant field that would be a definite asset and you would be able to start at a higher entry level salary.
The downside of the job is the salary eventually maxes out at about $55-56,000 a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.