Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 66)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming administrative assistant interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Erica Gonzales in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

Hello I was really intrested in this job, I don't have any kinf of experience in this field but I am willing to learn. The reason why I am applying is because it would be a good oppotunity to grow and advanec. I don't want to settle for a minimum wage job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

Underwriter

93 months ago

Erica Gonzales said: Hello I was really intrested in this job, I don't have any kinf of experience in this field but I am willing to learn. The reason why I am applying is because it would be a good oppotunity to grow and advanec. I don't want to settle for a minimum wage job. Can you please contact me my number is 909-350-3717

--------------
I don't want to sound harsh but please work on your spelling and grammar first and make sure that your resume is squeeky clean. If the potential employer sees errors, he will automatically disqualify you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Knoxville, Tennessee

93 months ago

It's spelled squeaky clean not squeeky clean...

Perhaps you should work on your spelling as well. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

ericag in Los Angeles, California

93 months ago

what are tou talking about? lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

ericag in Los Angeles, California

93 months ago

ericag said: what are tou talking about? lol

oic i know...whoever you are go work on your spelling before you come at melike that lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Guest in Kanata, Ontario

90 months ago

Wow, so nobody will answer the main question here? Instead we're all here to criticize everyone's spelling/grammer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Timea in Barberton, Ohio

89 months ago

I'm from Europe, and I moved to Ohio almost 2 years ago. I have been trying to find a job since then. I was an assistant for 3 years, but not in the country. Nobody ever calls me for an interiew. I have also applied with Hyatt Hotels as a housekeeper(!!!) but I got rejected 6 times that I WAS NOT SELECTED..I'm asking how the heck is that possible? I mean, come on, everybodycan clean, and I hae a teacher's degree! Can anyone answer for thise question? I'm also bilingual so I don't think that's the problem. I speak English for over 16 years, italian and spanish on a conversational level, so what the hell??? If I at least got a response or something, WHY I haven't been selected that would help. But since I neer get anything like that...no idea. I wonder, is it just the state of Ohio, my nationality, or what???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Timea in Barberton, Ohio

89 months ago

Sorry the "thise" was supposed to be a "this". And also, my letter V seems messed up. I know the spelling hehe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa Garza in Houston, Texas

89 months ago

I'm tryin to get an administrative job but I don't have any experience. How do I get a company to hire me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mo from Maine in East Poland, Maine

89 months ago

Timea in Barberton, Ohio said: I'm from Europe, and I moved to Ohio almost 2 years ago. I have been trying to find a job since then. I was an assistant for 3 years, but not in the country. Nobody ever calls me for an interiew. I have also applied with Hyatt Hotels as a housekeeper(!!!) but I got rejected 6 times that I WAS NOT SELECTED..I'm asking how the heck is that possible? I mean, come on, everybodycan clean, and I hae a teacher's degree! Can anyone answer for thise question? I'm also bilingual so I don't think that's the problem. I speak English for over 16 years, italian and spanish on a conversational level, so what the hell??? If I at least got a response or something, WHY I haven't been selected that would help. But since I neer get anything like that...no idea. I wonder, is it just the state of Ohio, my nationality, or what???

No, I wouldn't imagine that it is your fault why you have not had responses. I was laid off in February after working for the same company for eight years, so job hunting is new to me. I get so exasperated for the same reason. I am looking for office work. Out of say, twenty resumes' I send out, I will only get any kind of response positive or negative, from average three or four. Hang in there, your not alone. I hope the economy is better in Ohio than it is in Maine !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NameGoesHere in Harrisburg, North Carolina

89 months ago

Underwriter said: --------------
I don't want to sound harsh but please work on your spelling and grammar first and make sure that your resume is squeeky clean. If the potential employer sees errors, he will automatically disqualify you.

You NEED to sound harsh. Its time we turn this "new society" bs around 180 degrees and get back to some normalcy in this world. Just because you want a job doesnt mean you get it handed to you and just because you have the internet doesnt mean you know how to type, communicate (verbally too!) and with correct grammar, inflection, and all that comes with communicating with others.

Bottom Line: If you're not qualified then dont even ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Theresa Garza in Houston, Texas said: I'm tryin to get an administrative job but I don't have any experience. How do I get a company to hire me?

You dont GET a company to hire you. You gain experience by coming up through the ranks like everyone else has. You just dont "get" someone to give you a job. Maybe mommy and daddy got you everything you whined about but the real world is quite different. We actually say NO in the real world. Something new-fangled "mommies" and "daddies" refuse to teach their children these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Timea in Barberton, Ohio said: I'm from Europe, and I moved to Ohio almost 2 years ago. I have been trying to find a job since then. I was an assistant for 3 years, but not in the country. Nobody ever calls me for an interiew. I have also applied with Hyatt Hotels as a housekeeper(!!!) but I got rejected 6 times that I WAS NOT SELECTED..I'm asking how the heck is that possible? I mean, come on, everybodycan clean, and I hae a teacher's degree! Can anyone answer for thise question? I'm also bilingual so I don't think that's the problem. I speak English for over 16 years, italian and spanish on a conversational level, so what the hell??? If I at least got a response or something, WHY I haven't been selected that would help. But since I neer get anything like that...no idea. I wonder, is it just the state of Ohio, my nationality, or what???

There is nothing wrong with you. There IS something wrong with each and every office which refuses to at least reply with a FORM LETTER to applicants. Its common courtesy and decency. You employers CRY that you want people with "excellent verbal and written communication skills" and yet you cant even display any such skills YOURSELVES! Oh, and after an interview or two with the same company, if you're going to reject us, CALL US or WRITE US - dont make us sit and wonder that the F--K has happened. I hope to hell you dont wonder why the people you DO end up hiring are idiots and that they treat you like crap, steal from you and cheat time and money from you. Not that it makes that stuff right, but YOU set the precedent.

This is the state of our NATION these days. Generally rude, insensitive people who enjoy toying with others. You do it in the stores, on the highways and in your neighborhoods. Wake up people, what goes around will and most definitely DOES come right back around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mo in East Poland, Maine

89 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming administrative assistant interview?

Do you ask the interviewer what they are planning on offering for salary, or at least a "salary range" ? It is my experience that job postings do not give any specifics other than hourly or salary type of compensation. Then it becomes a game. If they ask what you are looking for then if they are planning on much less, you have just ruled yourself out. If the amount they are planning is a little less, depending on other factors the position still might be a good one. What do you folks find is the most successful approach ????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

A retiree in Lake Elsinore, California

89 months ago

Erica Gonzales in Los Angeles, California said: Hello I was really intrested in this job, I don't have any kinf of experience in this field but I am willing to learn. The reason why I am applying is because it would be a good oppotunity to grow and advanec. I don't want to settle for a minimum wage job.

Pls use spell check all the time to avoid misspelled words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Ottawa, Ontario

88 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming administrative assistant interview?

You must be prepared to talk about your strengths and weaknesses.

For weaknesses, do not say something like "I don't like filing or answering the phone", when applying for a secretary job. Say something like, "I am a perfectionist". To elaborate, say that you don’t like mistakes getting by you and don’t rely on spell-check, but take the time to proof things thoroughly before they go out. This could be considered a weakness to you because you are hard on yourself and have high expectations, but I would consider this an asset to any company you would work for.

Strengths on the other hand are easy. Your strengths are your skills. Examples, I have advanced computer skills (and be prepared to list ie Word, Excel, etc.), I get along with people, I have advanced computer skills, I am a quick learner, I am a team player, etc. Capitalize on your greatest strength(s) ie, organizational skills and be prepared to give examples of something you've organized.

THE KEY TO A SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW IS TO BE PREPARED AND DON'T WAIT UNTIL IT'S A "MUST" SITUATION THAT YOU GET A (NEW) JOB! Remember, they have to sell you on the job as well... Have your own questions ready so you can find out "if you want to work there".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario

87 months ago

Mo from Maine in East Poland, Maine said: No, I wouldn't imagine that it is your fault why you have not had responses. I was laid off in February after working for the same company for eight years, so job hunting is new to me. I get so exasperated for the same reason. I am looking for office work. Out of say, twenty resumes' I send out, I will only get any kind of response positive or negative, from average three or four. Hang in there, your not alone. I hope the economy is better in Ohio than it is in Maine !

I have found networking really helps to get a job. I started out with an agency and from going to many workplaces got introduced to potential employers and eventually one of my assignments hired me full time as a legal assistant. It took me about 4-6 months of temporary assignments before I secured this full-time job, but I have now been full-time for 11 years.
Of course when you go into these assignments you need to show your skills, your dedication to completing a job, be pleasant and sociable and just willing to work. I worked many over-time hours without pay in those early assignments, but it paid off in the end as they saw me as a good worker and reliable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

It is probably my age, but now when I go to an interview I go in with the attitude, "what do you have to offer me?" Not with a superior attitude, but hey, I am interviewing them too, as I don't have to take the job, I want to know what they are offering me and if the job would be a good fit.
I am confident in my secretarial skills (I have over 20 years experience) so I concentrate on getting to know what the position requires and if I would be interested in it or not. I have been on a few interviews where I said "thank you, but I wouldn't be interested in doing that" and turned down the job.
It can be nerve wracking going for an interview, but be prepared. There are lots of websites that give good hints on questions at the interview, what they might ask and some good answers. Personalize those.
I have found one of the most common questions asked is "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" My strengths of course are my strong secretarial skills, fast typist, being organizated, great computer skills...
For my weakness I say "I am a perfectionist, which can be a good and a bad thing, from the employer's point of view it is a good thing as you will pay attention to detail and be a hard worker, but from my point of view I am too hard on myself and hate making mistakes".
My sister has compiled a list of HR questions and before each interview I go over this list and practice answering them and get comfortable with the whole interview question scenario. I am not always asked these particular questions, but it puts me in the "interview mode".
Oh yeah, take a few deep breaths before you go in and relax and look them in the eye and engage them in a bit of conversation and have some good questions about their organization and about the job you are applying for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colleen in Providence, Rhode Island

87 months ago

The job market is vary hard. I went back to college in a retraining program, so, look into Community Colleges for better training. Once you send a resume in, follow up with a phonecall. If you have an email listed, make sure it has your name in it. Practice interviewing in your car, how are you dressed. Have a friend read your resume, what do they think of it? Get letters of recommendation together. Bring a notepad in to the interview, have questions, research the company. If you can't afford a suit, there are places that you can get them for free, I think Dressforsuccess is national. Good luck, and don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

There is nothing wrong with you at all. That's great that you are multi-lingual. The housekeeping industry works like this if you have an education they most likely would like for you to apply at the higher level jobs like...supervisor,account manager or regional manager positions But to just clean no because you will not stay long enough for the contract to end ( they also pay very little for alot of cleaning ) just network with people that you may know or meet. Talk to your neighbors and let them know that you are looking for a job and in what field as well. Don't give up!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

Mo in East Poland, Maine said: Do you ask the interviewer what they are planning on offering for salary, or at least a "salary range" ? It is my experience that job postings do not give any specifics other than hourly or salary type of compensation. Then it becomes a game. If they ask what you are looking for then if they are planning on much less, you have just ruled yourself out. If the amount they are planning is a little less, depending on other factors the position still might be a good one. What do you folks find is the most successful approach ????

Ask the company first when they ask you just turn it around and ask what benefits do they have to offer you then look at the compensation they are willing to give you as far as benefits then look at the hourly wage they want to pay it goes hand and hand. Or add up all your bills and needs and come up with a minimum you would accept along with your benefits. Entry level jobs are great to get as well, as long as you show them that you are competent they will give a merit raise. Those count as well. I hope i have been a help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I have written an article on my blog on Interview Preparation. If you would like to read it, click on the link: secretaryhelpline.blogspot.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patrice in Nassau, Bahamas

86 months ago

Tips in preparing for an administrative assistant interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Rinyai in Toronto, Ontario

86 months ago

Hi Patrice,

Definitely. Once thing that I always did in the past was to bring a copy of your resume. This way, if the interviewer misplaces their copy, you can provide them with one.

Thanks,

Richard Rinyai
www.professionalassistant.blogspot.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anna in San Antonio, Texas

86 months ago

In your interview, be sure to maintain good eye contact and deliver a firm handshake. One question that always seems to get me is: "Do you have any questions?" My initial answer was, no. Someone suggested asking, "Do you feel that I would be a good candidate for this position? What is it that you are looking for?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

Theresa Garza in Houston, Texas said: I'm tryin to get an administrative job but I don't have any experience. How do I get a company to hire me?

I started my admin. career as a temporary employee. I temped at a large corporation for a while, and then my career took off from there. If you work on your typing speed and make sure you know the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) you're on your way. If you don't have a computer or don't have up-to-date software, go to your local library. They should have what you need. I also think one of the document printing companies like Sir Speedy or something like that, used to offer customers rental time on their computers. Sign on with a temp. firm. They too have computers for you to use. Work a year or two through them, then try to move up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Mo in East Poland, Maine said: Do you ask the interviewer what they are planning on offering for salary, or at least a "salary range" ? It is my experience that job postings do not give any specifics other than hourly or salary type of compensation. Then it becomes a game. If they ask what you are looking for then if they are planning on much less, you have just ruled yourself out. If the amount they are planning is a little less, depending on other factors the position still might be a good one. What do you folks find is the most successful approach ????

Wait for the interviewer to bring up the topic of salary. If they ask what you're salary range is, turn the table on them and say something like, "Well, my range is flexible, but your budget is probably fixed. What can you offer?" You don't want to low-ball yourself, but you don't want to price yourself out of a job if the benefits and other intangibles are there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Repetitive questions I've heard are: What are your weaknesses? Are you currently employed? What is the favorite part of your job? How would you describe your typical work day? Why did you apply for this position? What can you bring to this position? Does this position appeal to you? Why?

And these questions: Give me an example of a time when you....multitasked, solved a problem, dealt with a difficult employer, resolved a computer issue, etc., etc., the list goes on and on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kayers2008 in Cortland, New York

81 months ago

To: Teacher can't get a housekeeping job.

I'm very sorry! I know how hard it can be. I am 24 years old and looking for a job after I was wrongly fired. I have held a few office job for large companies and done a very good job. I have done all kinds of research to make my resume well and interview well, and yet I can't get a job in an office position, after I've applied to over 32 in the last 4 months. It's been hard, I'm trying everyday with no results. I dont think its you, I think its just a really hard time getting a job with so many applying for the same position, some with very high qualifications for jobs that are much more challenging. I wish you good luck and hope you find something soon. Being unemployed can really do a number to your self esteem and your relationships with others around you at the time. I know its hard but Try not to let it get to you. Think of the positives. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jamaha in Antioch, Tennessee

81 months ago

Good luck in an interview! I've been looking for a year now. I've sent out over 110 resumes and had about 15 interviews. Lots of discrimination out there because of age. Several jobs went to 20 somethings with less than half my qualifications! The worst part is that you can never get any feedback to try to figure if you are doing or saying or doing something wrong. I've had all kinds of promises made to me, then I never hear from them again. I get the runaround if I try to contact them. The only response I have ever gotten is " we went in another direction" or "sorry, we chose someone else." I'm going to be kicked out of my home in 3 weeks. But I can't support myself on fast food pay! It's really frustrating!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I'm really sorry! I hope that your luck gets better and you find something better paying before 3 weeks is up. No one ever knows exactly what one goes thru but I do know on some level. Good Luck!

- in the same spot, new york

81 months ago

To Harrisburg, North Carolina

You know maybe that works for you, but not everyone works the same way. You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone, but do you always take on life with such negative attitude? I mean seriously, it sounds as if you are attacking that person, and what did they ever do to you? Ultimately we are all looking for jobs or we wouldn't be on this site to begin with, so no one is any better than the next person. Atleast we are all TRYING!!!. And if everyone always tried at what we were good at, we would never expand ourselves. Maybe you need to spend more time reflecting on yourself and less time on others.

Theslave in Manchester, United Kingdom

81 months ago

Kayers2008 in Cortland, New York said: To Harrisburg, North Carolina

And if everyone always tried at what we were good at, we would never expand ourselves. Maybe you need to spend more time reflecting on yourself and less time on others.

I try and expand myself regularly. The missus says it's not necessary but I am always looking for ways to impress her.

81 months ago

Theslave in Manchester, United Kingdom said: I try and expand myself regularly. The missus says it's not necessary but I am always looking for ways to impress her.

I bet she appreciates it!. You sound like a good person. Good luck with your job search.

Julia in San Diego County in Bakersfield, California

79 months ago

I am also currently looking for another Administrative Assistant position. Some years ago I attended an "Interview Essentials" class at our local Career Center. The following tips for "Do's" and "Don'ts" during an interview stuck with me:

DO's: Smile, Listen Attentively, Make Eye Contact, Maintain an Open posture, even leaning forward slightly to show interest, and at the end of the Interview, ASK FOR THE JOB.

DON'Ts: Look at your Watch, Discuss Salary Until you have an offer, Speak Negatively about past employers/employees, Cross your Arms.

Typical questions you could be asked will likely be some of the following: "What are your Major Strengths/Weaknesses?"
"Why do you want to work for OUR company?" "Can you give me an example when you utilized (this skill or that skill)?" "What are your short term goals?" "Where do you see yourself in XX number of years?" "Why should we hire YOU for this position?" Anyway, doesn't hurt to have something prepared for these type of questions. I wish you and anyone else out there (including me) a speedy connection to a wonderful, fulfilling, well-paying position soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

Valerie said: I'll answer the question. Administrative Assistant jobs are everywhere. There are lousy AA jobs and there are great AA jobs. If you have a great track record, top skills and a degree you can go for the top AA jobs working with top people - these are the best. Top admins are skilled in using the latest technology, have excellent computer skills, have the ability to interact well with people at all levels of an organization (especially executives). The best assistants will do everything from photocopying to representing their boss in a meeting - they are dependable, trustworthy and accountable in every aspect and are dedicated to "Getting The Job Done." You have to show that you can handle a multitude of tasks and can prioritize. You must be able to take initiative and make decisions. You should always be able to maintain yourself as competent and level-headed in a crisis. You should exude confidence, intelligence and make your boss feel at ease that you are on her team. The worst Admin jobs are the ones where you support people who can't focus on the matters at hand (as in answering your question). Everyone makes mistakes. The best learn and move forward. Losers dwell on them. Avoid Admin positions where there is a tendency to work with negative people - you will be supporting whiny, complaining and bickering losers. Too many admins are supporting too many jerks everyday who are not worth supporting. You will not learn from them and your career will not advance with them. A career as an Assistant can be rewarding only if you are the best and work with the best. Good Luck!

Very well put. Everyone it seems always sees the negative. This I thought was to help and ecncourage one another, not another put down...but I like your analogy on this subject. After all if we do it all, shouldn't we be paid near what they get paid? Nope, it's still a man's world.

Pam Jackson in Chicago, Illinois

79 months ago

I really like this response and wish I had the opportunity to speak with Susan from Denver about 15 years ago. I have worked for some of the worst, so called executives in the history of mankind. I have worked with a few really great executives and managers. Notice how I wrote, 'worked for and worked with'.

This is one major difference in management styles I have come to appreciate. Working with an executive or manager generally says that you are worth the top notch salary, thanks for getting the jobs done and you make me look great with other managers and company executives. An AA should be the third hand of the person or people they represent.

Be sure to keep your skills sharp, be willing to do it all, be pleasant and professional all the times. Go the extra mile with a smile on your face-even if the smile is not in your heart.

The work is out there and there are some great companies looking for great people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

srikanth in Bangalore, India

76 months ago

i want answers for the questions which we discussed above on housekeeping interview questions

Aneeka in Carluke, United Kingdom

73 months ago

Hello, I feel for you and I know first hand that it is tough. I would suggest changing your strategy; are you certain your CV etc is in the right format/are you repeatedly making the same spelling errors and not realising/try volunteering in the sector you want to work in. If your method isnt working then change it. Good luck.

officequeen in Orland, Florida

72 months ago

Hi Smitha, if you do not have experience as an Administrative Assistant, there is a likely chance you will not be hired for the job, you need to know excel, microsoft word, powerpoint, and outlook. If you are willing to learn, they may give you a chance, but most of the time they are looking for someone with experience. Wish you the best, hope you find what you are looking for, don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Meredith in Memphis, Tennessee

72 months ago

Alot of the interview questions were very helpful to me and also making sure that I know all of the MS office skills. I have an interview with a temp company and this is the field that I would like to go into and be successful with it. Thanks to those who had helpful hints and tips. Good luck to those who are looking for a career.

Juliana in Torrington, Connecticut

72 months ago

Anna in San Antonio, Texas said: In your interview, be sure to maintain good eye contact and deliver a firm handshake. One question that always seems to get me is: "Do you have any questions?" My initial answer was, no. Someone suggested asking, "Do you feel that I would be a good candidate for this position? What is it that you are looking for?"

I am a Psychology student and i would agree that it is a great idea to ask if they think you are a good candidate because studies have shown that people don't like to be inconsistent with there responses. Since they probably won't tell you NO, they would at least call to let you know if you got the position or not!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Juliana in Torrington, Connecticut

72 months ago

LOL in Miami, Florida said: girl you dumb as hell! you need to get a dictionary. Just reading that I can tell you are an immigrant who can't speak properly either.

Sweetie if she is an immigrant or not is non of your bussiness... There are many Americans who won't even spell their names right! And Yes many are fantastic writers!

You are the ignorant who has nothing better to do than molest other people... Get you something better to do! Read a book or something!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nicky in Douala, Cameroon

71 months ago

Erica Gonzales in Los Angeles, California said: Hello I was really intrested in this job, I don't have any kind of experience in this field but I am willing to learn. The reason why I am applying is because it would be a good oppotunity to grow and advanec. I don't want to settle for a minimum wage job.

kcrawl in Dolton, Illinois

62 months ago

Trying going through some temporary agencies for work. Sometimes that will get your foot into the door.

Tammy M in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta

60 months ago

All these comments were great eye openers. I especially appreciated the ones with great advice and personally thought some were from some pretty petty spelling critics. I go for my interview tomorrow and expect to be myself; relaxed, confident, straight-forward, open and honest. Although I may ace the interview, there is always SOMEONE better for the job, I'm just hopeful they aren't interviewing for THIS job..lol. Wish me luck!

Juliane in Saint Louis, Missouri

59 months ago

Valerie said: I'll answer the question. Administrative Assistant jobs are everywhere. There are lousy AA jobs and there are great AA jobs. If you have a great track record, top skills and a degree you can go for the top AA jobs working with top people - these are the best. Top admins are skilled in using the latest technology, have excellent computer skills, have the ability to interact well with people at all levels of an organization (especially executives). The best assistants will do everything from photocopying to representing their boss in a meeting - they are dependable, trustworthy and accountable in every aspect and are dedicated to "Getting The Job Done." You have to show that you can handle a multitude of tasks and can prioritize. You must be able to take initiative and make decisions. You should always be able to maintain yourself as competent and level-headed in a crisis. You should exude confidence, intelligence and make your boss feel at ease that you are on her team. The worst Admin jobs are the ones where you support people who can't focus on the matters at hand (as in answering your question). Everyone makes mistakes. The best learn and move forward. Losers dwell on them. Avoid Admin positions where there is a tendency to work with negative people - you will be supporting whiny, complaining and bickering losers. Too many admins are supporting too many jerks everyday who are not worth supporting. You will not learn from them and your career will not advance with them. A career as an Assistant can be rewarding only if you are the best and work with the best. Good Luck!

This was very informative information, and very helpful. Thank you so very much. Good luck, I know windows and doors will open for you.

gloria in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

i think is crazy how many profiles i have to open everytime i want to apply for a job. why can't i just apply without having to open soooooooo many profiles. it sucks

Cindi Saucedo in Marlin, Texas

58 months ago

I have an interview this week for administrative Assistant II (Driver Licence Examiner) with the TX Department of Transportation, I am a little nervous just by the title because all my titles have been clerk. Is this just another name for a clerk and do anyone knows what type of questions are asked in the interview.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.