Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

RmLL in Long Branch, New Jersey

65 months ago

I I find it more diffucult to find work because I am 55 years old work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RmLL in Long Branch, New Jersey

65 months ago

I am replying to my own msg because I couldn't read the one I sent a few minutes ago as I was typing it.
I am 55 years old and, as such, I find it more difficult to find a job because I know employers want a younger (cheaper) worker. It's not an attitude problem; it's just a reality. I had worked for my former employer for 30 years, 11 months to the day. I had planned to work there until retirement but the newspaper industry is in a terrible state right now so buy-outs and layoffs have become the norm. I left in the first round of buy-outs.
If anyone out there knows of a Monmouth County (NJ) company or group seeking an administrative assistant who is cheerful, willing, reliable, dependable and conscientious who is flexible and a quick learner, please, by all means, let me know. Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bastp@q.com in Denver, Colorado

60 months ago

joan roseborough in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: I am a lady in my 70"s ,I worked in the banking field for over 40yrs,28 for wells fargo bank,over 18yrs in Ca,and 71/2 yrs in vegas,I was forced into retirementin aug,2008,I have applied for a lot of jobs with wells farg bank and I recieve a letter from human resources that I dont meet there qualifications i dont understand that at all could you investigate this for me please I would still be working if manger was not so racist against methats why my doctor advise me to retire because it was so much stress on me,I would appreciate hereing your reply.Thank You very Much,I have a good work record dependable,proffesional perfect attendance and a loyal employee perfect attendance better than the mangers that work there.

Hi!

I am unemployed too and was in the banking field for 12 years. Outside the banking area I served as an administrative assistant and legal assistant. I am 56 and am also having a difficult time finding a job.

Just a side note, Joan. Your comment needs revisiting as you have many spelling errors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joan roseborough in North Las Vegas, Nevada

60 months ago

I notice the spelling is incorrect ,but im thru with it now, thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lilan in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

gogetter in Toms River, New Jersey said: Hi there young at heart, listen have you been in touch with
with your state's SCSEP?
The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a work-training program for low - income job seekers age 55 and older. It is funded by the Department of Labor and operated through national and state sponsors. AARP Foundation is one of 18 national sponsors. However, each state has their own listing of Nati'l Sponsors of SCSEP program

I like this idea. I do hope this programs can help me find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lilan in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

I like this idea. I have been look for the job for over two month. I do hope this program can help

me to find a job. I need money to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

58 months ago

When did 55 become a senior citizen? I could see at 65 using a Senior Community Service Employment Program, but not at 55.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bastp@comcast.net in Denver, Colorado

58 months ago

I agree with you (55 senior citizen?). Because of this age this, people who are in the 30's are getting the jobs. Doesn't any employer realize we have all the skills? I think they want people in their 30's because they don't have to pay them as much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sewellwms@aol.com

57 months ago

I undersatand what all seniors are going through . I was forced into retirement in 2007 by a massive company lay off. My entire world has also been turned upside down.I am experiencing the same difficulty in obtaing employment.I want to work ,and need to work or i am in jeopardy of loosing everything .I live in Philadelphia and did go to the Mayor's commision on ageing with my resume in hand to no avail. I am 67 and look 50 ,and although they are not to discrimainate they do .because once all my clearances come back with my age Iam done .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sewellwms@aol.com

57 months ago

I am sorry for the incorrect spelling

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rokadara in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

We are all in the boat and sinking faster and faster with no life jackets. I too am out of a job for 2 years now. I have investments that I have managed to maintain life support so far but we all know out the stock market has been. I have warehouse managment experience and been in warehouse operations all my working life but now it seems that doesn't matter. I have accepted the fact that I will work for a lot less but that doesn't make a difference either. Companies might thank you are what they are interested in on the phone, but once you walk in for the interview it all changes. They can tell by your resume or application on line approximately how old you are simply by seeing how long you have worked or by the year you graduated from high school (most people at 17 or 18).
I can't even find part time work. The last three companies I worked for full time went out of business when I worked for them.
If any one knows of job openings that will hire 55 years and older in the Tampa fl area I will take most anything now. Our unemployment rate in my county is 12.5% so don't plan to move here or most anywhere in Florida to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bachi bharucha in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

GOVT SHOULD CONTINUE WITH UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION AND ELLIGIBILITY OF SOCIAL SECURITY SHOULD BE BROUGHT DOWN TO 58 YEARS AND THE RENTAL SHOULD GO DOWN; SO THAT PEOPLE LIKE US CAN LLIVE A DECENT LIFE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

work2buy

52 months ago

I have been unemployed for 14 months now with no job in sight. I am 55, have two degrees, a job-specific credential and have worked 2 and 3 jobs my entire life. I cannot find anything; not even part-time. I've had some interviews but when they find out I'm not in my 30's I never hear back from them again. It is very frustrating. People tell me to "hang in there" but it gets very difficult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joanna in Berwyn, Illinois

52 months ago

You would think that the government would put much more energy into getting people back to work. It DOES benefit everyone. When more people work, more money is spent and the government gets more sales tax revenues, income tax revenues, and they would not have to worry that all the money that they are paying us by extending unemployment benefits would increase the deficit. Now the government is not able to properly fund our schools as they have to close a large number of them in Kansas City and libraries are also hurting and closing or cutting back on services to us just when some people need them to access computers and books to help them increase their knowledge for their next job. Wake up America!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Where I live in the Tampa Bay Area there is a program that will consider hiring you, if you are below the poverty level and have a child living at home. Some of these jobs pay 60 to 70,000 dollars a year. You will not be considered if you are not below poverty, regardless, if you have the experience or education for the job.
I am all for helping the employed which I am, but if I have the skills for these jobs why can't I be considered as well? This sounds like discrimination against all people who have not reach the poverty level. This is all backwards just like the government helping those who can't make their house payments. For those who still can make their payments are penalized but are struggling to do it. I am 58 years old I have applied for a job that I know by it's description I can do because it is an exact relica of a job I had before. Let's see if I get a call. I will post the results.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Butch in the boro in Smyrna, Georgia

52 months ago

It has appeared to me when a person reaches 50 yrs. of age most companies that normally pay well will not say the word age but by the NO Response you receive the word AGE is mostly the problem.
Qualifications & experience is worth about a buck & fifty cents now!
The majority of cheap paying companies may consider a 50 yrs. plus individual providing one of their friends aren't looking for a job at the same time.
Hell folks open your eyes it's built into our wonderful system!
They say they are EOE, that's b/s.
They can't ask you your age but they can ask you your date of birth.
From that point it doesn't take an Einstein to figure your age.
On that 60 to 70 grand per year after age 50 I wish you the best of luck getting it.
If you were to get that type of fair employment pay then you my friend have accomplished beating the odds! That should be in the genis book of world records!
I could go on & on but what's the point? This is a forum & no one gives a chit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Let me make a correction after reading back my previous email.
1. I meant to say " the unemployed " which I am.
2. The jobs that are for 60 to 70,000 dollars per year are not directed so much to people over 50 but to the unemployed in the 20 to 30 year range who have kids at home who are at the poverty level.
3. The job I wanted is not in the 60-70,000 range not even close.

Companies should know by now that the 50 yr old " over the hill gang " would be throwing a party if they could get a job making less than what they were before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diana Alvarez in Bakersfield, California

52 months ago

My mother was hired by a call center, I believe it is ADT but not completely sure. She is 72 years young and makes $13.00 an hour plus bonuses. Check them out. Good luck. I too at age 55 can't find a job. I am fully qualified to work at the locations I applied too, but no luck. I couldn't even get interview until I took my high school graduation date off my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Butch in the boro in Bowdon, Georgia

52 months ago

Diana:
I'm sincerely glad to read about your mother especially @ 72. One in 3 million!
I would be glad to just reach 72 let alone work then.
I owed a small company myself for 23 yrs. until the family issues came about & all properties were broken up.
My comments from 1 day ago was in reference as to what I've personally been through here since.
Yes I have been offered several jobs $13.00 plus per hour but there were catch 22s attached so I decided to just retire & not be concerned any more.
Today though $13 per hour might, after taxes & insurance etc., might buy room & board.
Besides I couldn't deal with the call center stress. They'll see me go postal!
I actually was pretty much forced to retire now due to too many health problems.
Also Diana I wish for you the best in seeking a good job.
The word AGE will still be a serious factor but believe as you may. I don't want to sound discouraging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

I want to throw this out there. I have talked to several people who work for companies who are posting openings on employment sites eg. Careerbuilder,Monster,News Paper and others, these companies have no intention on hiring anyone from the outside but are filling positions internally. These companies actually give interviews to some of the outside canidates ( I have had a few of these myself ) I think filling positions from within is a good thing because it shows employees that they are capable to handle the jobs but why post positions that will be a waste of time to the people who might get an interview and get their hopes up thinking they might have a chance when these companies know they will not hire them. My wife is now having to apply for her job to become full time after holding the same job for three years. The company is also making her dept post her job outside even though they are keeping her on as a full time employee.

On another subject, Does anyone know if the government gives tax credits to companies that hire folks over 55, like they do to minorities? If they do why aren't more of us being hired?

Janet in Sherman Oaks, California

52 months ago

Butch in the boro in Bowdon, Georgia said: Diana:
I'm sincerely glad to read about your mother especially @ 72. One in 3 million!
I would be glad to just reach 72 let alone work then.
I owed a small company myself for 23 yrs. until the family issues came about & all properties were broken up.
My comments from 1 day ago was in reference as to what I've personally been through here since.
Yes I have been offered several jobs $13.00 plus per hour but there were catch 22s attached so I decided to just retire & not be concerned any more.
Today though $13 per hour might, after taxes & insurance etc., might buy room & board.
Besides I couldn't deal with the call center stress. They'll see me go postal!
I actually was pretty much forced to retire now due to too many health problems.
Also Diana I wish for you the best in seeking a good job.
The word AGE will still be a serious factor but believe as you may. I don't want to sound discouraging.
I wish I could retire. I'm 56 yrs old and unemployed for the past year. I originally joined this website trying to find out how people are surviving with unemployment running out. How were you able to retire before 65?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shirl in San Bernardino, California

52 months ago

bachi bharucha in Tampa, Florida said: GOVT SHOULD CONTINUE WITH UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION AND ELLIGIBILITY OF SOCIAL SECURITY SHOULD BE BROUGHT DOWN TO 58 YEARS AND THE RENTAL SHOULD GO DOWN; SO THAT PEOPLE LIKE US CAN LLIVE A DECENT LIFE.

Good Heavens ! This is the most concise and sensible, realistic, helpful comment I have read in months of online research and reading !!
My rent is so high I can hardly buy gasoline ! 16-20-year -olds are the only ones getting hired and my new degree is not helping me, as i am 50 ! I have no where in the world to live without unemployment safety net ! I have 17 years left to work and no jobs ! Do others have these same situations? I appreciate your truth ! love to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Hi to all. I am giving an update as I said I would about applying for the job that I told you about previously. As I said, this is a job that matched exactly to a previous job I had before. Todate I have not received anything. Big suprise. I will keep you posted again

Office Queen in West Palm Beach, Florida

52 months ago

Shirl in San Bernardino, Calf. Yes, I have the same situation. I've been out of work for over 2 years, went back to school, just to keep busy and change my career altogether. I am 58 years old so I know what you're talking about. I really think there is alot of age discrimination, it is shameful. Hopefully I should be getting the unemployment extension. My husband is out of work too, can't work because of an injury he had and can't do the kind of work that he use to do before. He will be going to school too. Try to keep a positive attitude and keep the faith and pray alot, God will bless us for our efforts, don't give up, somethings gotta give. Take care and wish u the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

SwanLady in Phoenix, Arizona

52 months ago

As I read these, looking for assistance too (laid off last July and I'm now 62), I can't believe so many people in our age group have so many spelling and grammar errors. I make them too, but I now realize I can no longer brag about our generation's education and the emphasis we placed on articulation, and the importance we placed on getting "it" right!! And Office Queen, how fortunate you are to be able to go back to school, just to keep busy! We will get through this!

Office Queen in West Palm Beach, Florida

52 months ago

Yes, SwanLady, by the way love ur name. Yeah, I decided, since I can't find a job, might as well go to school. It's never too late. Try to keep a positive attitude, things always have a way of working themselves out. I wish u the best. Keep the faith and pray alot, it helps. Take care.

Butch in the Boro in Dalton, Georgia

52 months ago

Janet in Sherman Oaks, California said: I wish I could retire. I'm 56 yrs old and unemployed for the past year. I originally joined this website trying to find out how people are surviving with unemployment running out. How were you able to retire before 65?

Hi Janet:
Actually I doubt I'll reveal my actual age. Most people do not believe my age any way as to my appearance.
I will say though if a person can save at least 10% of every wage one has earned for 45 plus years anyone can retire if one has invested properly.
I started, managed & owned a small business for 23 years & saved every dime I could & invested.
Approximately 2 or so years ago I watched the stock market the same way I did when it hit rock bottom several years ago. After the first fall I invested in various areas of stocks I saw that had potential futures.
So I decided to pull out all stock investments prior this last stock failure & put it in CD/IRA accounts. (Each insured to $250,000 each)
This way there is still no taxes owed on monies at that point. Although I didn't make much money on interest fees with the CD/IRA accounts but I only lost approximately $278 on stock investments prior to pulling out. It was much better than losing everything as many have.
As far as retirement my health now gives me no choice.
One doesn't have to be 65 to retire. I think you may be referring to S/S though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sataylorinindy

51 months ago

God help us; what has become of our country. It's
unbelievable that we have fallen so far, so quickly.

51 months ago

Sataylorinindy,
You are correct with your statement above. Senior's used to be respected for their wisdom and years of experience of life but now it seems the more aged and gray or white hair you have the more backs are turned against you. Our country has fallen into the gripe of forgetfulness for the aged adult. At the rate we as baby boombers are progressing,the senior class will increase ten fold in the next few years with no where to go because companies will not hire us causing us to have no retirement to live on. I for one would be happy to work for less as I'm sure many others would be too just to have an income. I don't think anyone would expect to make the same money they were making in the past and would settle for less. I throw out this question to all on this site.
Where do you see our country's economical state in the next five years?
Do you see people 55 years and older better or worse financially?

sataylorinindy

51 months ago

rokadara:

Your are correct baby boomers are increasing rapidly,
the number of seniors out there will be a large percentages
of population very soon. I do not foresee things getting
better for any of us in this country unless or until something
is done in Washington to wake up these politicians
that are isolated from the "real world" out here. Numbers
hold power…seniors need to organize. AARP??

Janet in Van Nuys, California

51 months ago

What I see happening is like in other countries we older people will end up moving in with our children. My oldest son has already talked about converting the garage into an apartment. I do well taking care of children and have been working here and there taking care of children and will eventually see about being a full time nanny. I am a fit 57 year old woman and people like that I am the motherly type and children like me so I don't have a problem getting work doing this. I used to work in a Life Insurance office for 15 years. I love my kids but I'll do anything and everything before this has to happen.

Butch in the Boro in Chattanooga, Tennessee

51 months ago

Politicans don't much care about anything, especially us.
They figure since they are & have been in their elected offices we,the general public will keep putting them back in office over & over & over until they decide to quit running for office!
Until people in this country decides to put the boot to every politician that is or has been in office nothing is ever going to change!
They treat us like mushrooms ... feed us bull s_ _ _ & keep us in the dark!
In other words they'll tell us just what we all want to hear at the time & never full fill their promises.
I think it was Lincoln that once said: Believe half what you see & none of what you hear!

cmcomstockns in Syracuse, New York

51 months ago

I am 52 years old. I worked in the banking field since I was 18 years old. I didn't go to college only banking classes.I moved up fast in the banking field. I don't have a degree as I am well educated in what was a healthy field to be in. This is what I though until banking field went to hell. I can't even get any type of job. I am struggling with microsoft office programs which I am taking courses on. I hope that learning these programs I can possibly work in any office environment. I know highly doubtful. I am use to a mid 6 figure income. I have used up all my resources. Sunday I start my unemployment extension period. I had a wonderful home but now I live with my sister and her husband. I am thankful but it isn't my home. My heart breaks that my age is now a factor against me. I have never had a difficult time getting employment. This time I am very scared. After reading the comments. I don't see any hope. No matter all people I know in the field. The banks have consolidated and only so many banks are open in the mortgage field.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

51 months ago

I don't feel any hope either - and I have a few "opportunities".

debby in Pembroke, Massachusetts

44 months ago

My profession healthcare is very demanding. Eventhough i am 62 yrs old.
I have filled in 30-40 application, and never got any call. Few places i called
to follow up and i was told that the job has been filled. and whereas, it is
still being advertised. I never got any interview call. It is true, hospital
are hiring young people, freshly out of school, so that they do not have to
give much pay. I have been unemployed for the past 4 months now and i am
getting so tired of filling in applications on line. I am a single and have
nothing to do all day. I am going crazy without doing anything all day.
Who will hire me ???? i cannot wait to get atleast one interview call...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rokadara in Tampa, Florida

44 months ago

debby in Pembroke, Massachusetts said: My profession healthcare is very demanding. Eventhough i am 62 yrs old.
I have filled in 30-40 application, and never got any call. Few places i called
to follow up and i was told that the job has been filled. and whereas, it is
still being advertised. I never got any interview call. It is true, hospital
are hiring young people, freshly out of school, so that they do not have to
give much pay. I have been unemployed for the past 4 months now and i am
getting so tired of filling in applications on line. I am a single and have
nothing to do all day. I am going crazy without doing anything all day.
Who will hire me ???? i cannot wait to get atleast one interview call...

I am very surprised your background is in the health field industry and you can not get hired. This mostly confirms, that senior adults who have experience in the one field that we continue hearing about that will be growing more than other industry's still can't get a foot in the door. As I have said in previous replies I would jump at a chance to work for less money than I have been accustomed to. But companies are locked in to overlooking 55+ adults with much experience. I just recieved and email yesterday from a company that I had applied to over two months ago for a supervior position. Their reason for not hiring me was because they had many qualified applicants that met their critera they were looking for. I emailed them back and ask them to tell me what their critera was and how with my 25 years experience and some of that in management I did not warrant at least an interview. Well, we all know the answer to that question. My resume I sent them covered the past 17 years of employment that covered three jobs. Doesn't take a PHD to know I am older than what they wanted. Now you have younger people that have worked 7 or 8 jobs in the past 10 years that get interviews. I now only list the last 10 years on my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebekah in New York, New York

43 months ago

What irks me is that I feel very uncomfortable knowing that my resume is out there with all of my information but I am not getting hired. What I do receive on a daily basis is tons of spam email referencing colleges. I did the college thing (Kaplan University) and do not intend to be spammed ever again. I don't have time for school, I need to WORK. Going back to college would put me into even more debt than I already have. Sometimes I think there are forces out there that are deliberately trying to keep the debt rising and keep me unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rokadara in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

Rebekah - So many of us can relate to what you are saying. I came across an article one day while I was in Georgia. It was about an employment ad advertising for a forklift operators position. It gave the requirments for the job and at the end of the ad it stated " if you have been unemployed for 6 months or more do not apply for this position ". At the time this ad was posted in the newspaper approx 8 months ago statistics said that 60% of people unemployed had been out of work longer than 1 year. Companies that have this mindset are losing out on really good employees who have the experience to be an asset to their business. I can relate to this. I have been unable to get hired in my industry, although I have 25 years experience,10 of which has been in management, I have been unemployed for over 2 years. I have applied for hourly, part time,retail, most that make just above mininum wage. I don't know what your age is but I can guess you might be 50 years or older. I to have many resumes out there and get a lot of " you can go to school " spams. Who wants to go back to school to learn a new career at 62 only to graduate and not get hired after spending all your money? It does happen in Florida and I'm sure through the country. Just because you have the paper does not mean at the age of 55 or older you will get hired. I know a lawyer who posted a job for a legal assistant and had many attorneys with several years experience and education apply for the job because they had lost theirs due to no clients at their firms. Your right, how much worst can it get.

lesliec@yahoo.com in East Orange, New Jersey

43 months ago

I turned 50 this month. I too have 20 plus years experience have been unemployed coming close to 2 years, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be out this long, I'm close to 99 weeks of unemployment, cry all the time, depressed and just at a lost. I continue to post resumes daily, with no success. I have worked a few conract jobs and have been unable to retain them b/c the co-workers are brutal when they realize your skills are better than theirs or you are older then them. They will not even add software on your computer for you to get the work done, then within 2 weeks they tell you - you are not a match.

I only pray and hope God will get me thru this and I thank him everyday for keeping a roof over my head and food on my table. I have a large family but I can't even go to them, I'm alone and scared and all I want for x-mas is for my alarm clock to go off in the morning because I have a f/t job that pays a living wage. I get calls for temp employment but can't believe I turned them down because most fall under slave or just "you got to be kidding" me jobs (i.e. dollar amount, 1-2 months contract, spending more money to get to job then it's worth).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

It seems to me that these lowlifes don't think they will ever be our age. Maybe they're right. Sadly young people are experiencing heart attacks and all other bad physical maladies earlier than they should. I feel for you. They want you to work for practically nothing and if you dare to speak up you're labeled as difficult or have a 'bad attitude'. I cannot wait until 'they' get theirs.

43 months ago

Rokadara in Tampa, Florida said: Rebekah - So many of us can relate to what you are saying. I came across an article one day while I was in Georgia. It was about an employment ad advertising for a forklift operators position. It gave the requirments for the job and at the end of the ad it stated " if you have been unemployed for 6 months or more do not apply for this position ". At the time this ad was posted in the newspaper approx 8 months ago statistics said that 60% of people unemployed had been out of work longer than 1 year. I don't know what your age is but I can guess you might be 50 years or older. I to have many resumes out there and get a lot of " you can go to school " spams. Who wants to go back to school to learn a new career at 62 only to graduate and not get hired after spending all your money? It does happen in Florida and I'm sure through the country. Just because you have the paper does not mean at the age of 55 or older you will get hired. I know a lawyer who posted a job for a legal assistant and had many attorneys with several years experience and education apply for the job because they had lost theirs due to no clients at their firms. Your right, how much worst can it get.

Rokadara, that ad was either placed by someone as a joke because if its serious it's really stupid. "If you've been out of work for more than 6 months do not apply?" Who hasn't been out of work for more than 6 months? Unbelievable. For the record I am 50. I look 20 so I have to show my ID all the time. I am expected to look like a little old lady I guess. Idiots.

Mad Hatter in North Hollywood, California

42 months ago

Rebekah in New York, New York said: It seems to me that these lowlifes don't think they will ever be our age. Maybe they're right. Sadly young people are experiencing heart attacks and all other bad physical maladies earlier than they should. I feel for you. They want you to work for practically nothing and if you dare to speak up you're labeled as difficult or have a 'bad attitude'. I cannot wait until 'they' get theirs.

I am 57 working on 58 and have 2 unemployment checks left before it is gone. The house I live in the rent is cheap and I've lived here a long time. My kids have grown up and moved out so I rent their rooms out and this covers the rent and 500.00 left over for utilities etc. My kids said I was good with the grandchildren so I've been doing extra work for other people taking care of their children. This brings in a little extra money. Also when unemployment is done I will apply for state EBT (food stamps) I am worried about the unemployment running out and am looking to work more full time taking care of other peoples children. Our parents were allowed to retire at 55. Who made the law that we can't? Anyways these are a few options for survival.

42 months ago

Where I live we can't rent out the kids's room (I'm the kid) and I haven't met the grandchild yet cause of distance. You're giving your all from what I've read. You're blessed. I'm all for retiring at a later age. Who has the right to tell anyone what age they should stop working? With the economy the way that it is many should be thankful that there are people above the age of 55 who want to work. They have experience and skills. No need to train them. You seem to have honed the survival thing quite well. Wish I could. Best of luck to you and a Happy New Year.

42 months ago

To add insult to injury, I read in today's paper that US companies are hiring overseas instead of our own country. Thats just wrong when so many are out of work here. Its always cheaper to produce and distribute everywhere but here. We have put ourselves out of business due to greed. Its hard to even get temp or part time work.
Funny, how it can be cheaper to produce automobiles in foriegn companies and ship here than to do it in our own back yard.

42 months ago

Companies hire people from overseas because they think they can pay them less and that the person being hired will be so grateful they would not think twice about turning them down. What ever happened to Buy American? I'm not knocking other countries or cultures but many businesses have turned their backs on their people (ie: Americans) for cheaper labor and materials. This is the sort of thing that makes stocks drop. While materials may be a bit more plentiful in another country, to offset costs of materials the company will hire workers from the places they order materials from. Sometimes it works, often times it does not work. I believe in buying American. Isn't it the consumer who controls the production of sales based on our purchases? Keep leaving us out of the loop. When we all begin buying from everywhere else but America many companies aren't going to be around for much longer. It's already happening and it is a sad turn of events.

Janet in North Hollywood, California

42 months ago

They can pay foreigners cheap and don't have to pay health benefits or pensions. If they lay them off or fire them they don't have to cover unemployment insurance or show cause.

Ann New Jersey in Keyport, New Jersey

39 months ago

lesliec@yahoo.com in East Orange, New Jersey said: I turned 50 this month. I too have 20 plus years experience have been unemployed coming close to 2 years, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be out this long, I'm close to 99 weeks of unemployment, cry all the time, depressed and just at a lost. I continue to post resumes daily, with no success. I have worked a few conract jobs and have been unable to retain them b/c the co-workers are brutal when they realize your skills are better than theirs or you are older then them. They will not even add software on your computer for you to get the work done, then within 2 weeks they tell you - you are not a match.

I only pray and hope God will get me thru this and I thank him everyday for keeping a roof over my head and food on my table. I have a large family but I can't even go to them, I'm alone and scared and all I want for x-mas is for my alarm clock to go off in the morning because I have a f/t job that pays a living wage. I get calls for temp employment but can't believe I turned them down because most fall under slave or just "you got to be kidding" me jobs (i.e. dollar amount, 1-2 months contract, spending more money to get to job then it's worth).

I am with you, I have been out of work 2 years and 2 months, have applied to hundred of ads, have gone on interviews and when I see a 25 year old doing the interview I know I'm doomed. I was not lucky enough to work for the government, I worked for private companies and in the past 10 years all have gone under. I am 58, no job, no pension and in 3 weeks no more unemployment, I will lose my car, my apartment, am moving back with elderly parents and will have to live off them and their social security until I get a job somewhere, I will have to file for bankruptcy as I have no money to pay anything I owe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in Natick, Massachusetts

33 months ago

I have been out of work since 2-2009 when I was laid off after 22 years. I have a Masters degree and exceptional skills. I need a job. I go to interviews and never get the jobs because they say I am not a fit...I think it is my age 58...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unapproachable in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

I just turned 59. I found a job on craigslist as a Housekeeping Quality Control Inspector Supervisor for a large public facility. I thought myself so very fortunate to have landed the job at my age. It was a newly created position supervising a small janitorial staff used to no supervision. The facility needed strong attention to detail, which it lacked for years, to make it into a 1st class establishment again.
Because of my firm 'military type' management approach w/an unruly staff, I did not fit in w/the 'family type' atmosphere and my probation period was xtended from 3 to 4 mos at my review. I made it to 3 mos, 2 weeks. I was finally discharged unceremoniously within minutes of clocking in after sending an email to my absentee manager the previous night regarding insubordinate issues w/team members.
I explain all this firstly to reassure anyone who is frightened at the prospect of finding employment in their late 50's, that it is possible---seek and ye shall find.
Secondly, because I am so angry for having been discharged at my age for such frivolous reasons on the say-so of disgruntled workers, without the benefit of confronting those accusers. Jobs are so hard to come by for older workers compounded by economic stress that getting canned 2 days after your 59th birthday must be the worse experience on this board.

My advice, don't despair, keep looking. You're probably a more socially adept person than I am, if I was able to land a job, so can you. And you'll probably keep it longer than me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

I've been out of work since 2008,depleted all savings and have been forced into business as a handyman part time. I have 30 plus years in my corporate industry, alot in management. I know I will never be back into that field again in that level. I can not even get a job in that industry as a lower level employee. I am now 60 years old and hope to make it to 62 so I can collect Social Security. If it is still around. If you look at the history of the bubbles that have bursted ie. housing, stocks,national debt, unemployment ect we will see a slight improvement but these bubbles will burst again quickly. I just thank God He has helped me in these times. I still have hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.