Can I do the job -- admin education

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Kay in Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

83 months ago

I have a graduate degree in a non-business field, and have decided on a change of careers -- moving toward business management but starting in administrative support. I am contemplating taking on a new administrative assistant position and wondered how much experience do you need for certain tasks before you should consider a job in which you know you need to learn new skills and where do you get that training. I do not have experience with budgeting or complex travel planning. I am a quick learner and feel it is something I could pick up/learn as I do it. Are these skills that one should receive training to do or is there a different position that one should start in to gain experience? Most of the tasks that have been thrown at me I quickly learned to do on the job with no past experience, so I just wondered if it is common that you only get experience by doing it when asked.

Thank you for any assistance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erin in Westminster, Maryland

83 months ago

Most of the skills you need in order to succeed as an admin. are not skills you need to get training for. Having said that, it is very important that you know MS Office, everything else you'll pretty much learn on the job. I'm 28, have been doing this for the past couple years, and never went to college. I knew word, excel, and was familiar with power point, everything else is pretty much self taught... trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it! You should be fine... Good Luck with everything!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.