Laid off.... still trying.. ready willing and able- can't get a foot in the door

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

michelle

29 months ago

I hate to use the word "comforting" but realized looking through these - I'm not alone in this struggle. Laid off in 2009, I began looking the very next week for some type of suitable employment and sadly have only managed to obtain a few p/t temporary jobs to date. Its frustrating when you are at a point in your life where things were starting to fall into place - only to have the rug ripped out beneath you. I have held a job since I was legally old enough to work my entire life. Sometimes two or three part time jobs if needed, but I have never experienced anything like this. I'm encouraged when I do get a response that isn't spam, or an opportunist's attempt at getting my personal/financial information. Unfortunately, on the few occasions I was invited to test for a potential opening, there were 250-600 other "hopefuls" "testing" along with me. All of us praying we'd get that solitary role - or at least score an interview. With electronic posting and submissions, it's hard to determine whether a person is a good fit for the company or not. Many look great on paper but lack social skills or professionalism. Applicants with less experience and fewer learned skills can not only excel, but possibly secure that position if allowed an opportunity to meet with an employer face-to-face. That doesnt happen too often anymore. It's growing harder for me to remain optimistic though. I have had several yard sales and sold many of my crafts on Ebay between jobs. My parents are older so moving is not an option but the current UI rate is 16% where I live. I actually believed I'd find work eventually so I used the money I'd saved in the meantime to pay rent, buy food, gas, etc. Now I'm too strapped to afford school....what to do? What is working for some of you? Suggestions and advice welcome....!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

29 months ago

You seem like a very nice person. 2009 is a long time ago.

It's rough for everyone who needs a job.

What I would do if in your shoes. Go to the local Department of Labor office and talk to a counselor. Tell them your plight. Bring your sad face with you. Play the sympathy card...can't hurt.

Ask them if there are any funds for training. Usually if they train you it's in a field that has lots of job openings and the training which is free only takes 3 months or so. It's usually a low-paying field I'm sorry to say.

Personally, I don't like DOL because they are the typical useless lazy govt worker, they are nice but useless for me at least. Start there. You probably have though.

I wish you the very best.

Also, if you haven't tried Craigslist. Craigslist has a bad rap. HOWEVER, they have a place where companies can post job openings.

The great thing that I find with Craigslist is that there are a lot of smaller companies that post there because they can post for free or for a very low fee. I would try Craigslist, smaller companies usually don't have sophisticated HR depts so you have a better shot of getting the job. There are those (a few) nutty ads, just make sure you don't give ssn, or dob, or any other personal info. I find more legitimate postings on Craigslist than the bigger sites. Take a look at least.

Again, Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

michelle

29 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: You seem like a very nice person. 2009 is a long time ago.

It's rough for everyone who needs a job.

What I would do if in your shoes. Go to the local Department of Labor office and talk to a counselor. Tell them your plight. Bring your sad face with you. Play the sympathy card...can't hurt.

Ask them if there are any funds for training. Usually if they train you it's in a field that has lots of job openings and the training which is free only takes 3 months or so. It's usually a low-paying field I'm sorry to say.

Personally, I don't like DOL because they are the typical useless lazy govt worker, they are nice but useless for me at least. Start there. You probably have though.

I wish you the very best.

Also, if you haven't tried Craigslist. Craigslist has a bad rap. HOWEVER, they have a place where companies can post job openings.

The great thing that I find with Craigslist is that there are a lot of smaller companies that post there because they can post for free or for a very low fee. I would try Craigslist, smaller companies usually don't have sophisticated HR depts so you have a better shot of getting the job. There are those (a few) nutty ads, just make sure you don't give ssn, or dob, or any other personal info. I find more legitimate postings on Craigslist than the bigger sites. Take a look at least.

Again, Good Luck.

Thanks! I'm kicking myself for only spending 2.5 years in college believe me. I have had some luck on Craigslist. I do hate that people use the unemployed when they are already discouraged with the fake ads and the "I'm in India, the U.K..." etc. "But you will need to deposit checks and accept packages.." I also recieved some that said "congratulations we have chosen 5 applicants for further consideration and you are one of the lucky 7.." Anyway thanks for taking the time to send me some encouragement and advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

beaukami in Colorado Springs, Colorado

29 months ago

friends of mine have found multiple jobs mainly new starting businesses from craigslist but craigslist varies in many places and is a complete pain with finding a legit post but might be a good shot, unless you are frequent within a church then I'd recommend talking to the higher ups of whatever religion to show them you have a need to find a good job then the majority of them can find you a good one if they believe you'll work and trust you.
sorry about the literacy

I do not pray for myself but even not knowing your full name you will be in my prayers

I also have no clue how I had stumbled upon this but something lured me to it so a response to something such as me is unnecessary since I will likely never stumble upon this again from searching random raves and rants, I wish you the best of luck and if you ever fall to far Colorado springs isn't to bad for work if you've not a criminal history

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tlgordon in Columbus, Ohio

28 months ago

I also have been out of a job since March of 2009, so what I did in Feb. 2012 was to further my education, so that I can get a better job than the one I had before. I know you said that you were strapped for cash and don't have the money to go back to school, but neither did I. I had to take out a loan and then got grants, but the loan money isn't due back until I graduate - that's the thing that made it possible for me, the fact that I can wait to pay the loan back once I find employment. It just might work for you, too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.