Want so badly to go back to work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Allie in Greenville, South Carolina

80 months ago

I lost my job because my boss was charged with harassment and they demoted him and I was left with no position. I've been looking since November. I have great skills, type 70 WPM, take shorthand at 65 WPM will somebody please tell me why I Can't find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario

80 months ago

I lost my boss as well, but not under the same circumstances. He got a promotion in another company. I am still in a job, but not the one I chose. Change is hard. I wrote about it on my blog: secretaryhelpline.blogspot.com/search?q=breaking+up

The best advice I read was from Richard Moran in his book Nuts, Bolts & Jolts "...give yourself two days at most to feel sorry for yourself. Focus on your next job, not your last one.”

Another one I read by Alexander Graham Bell:
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

I wish you the best as you look for another job,
It will happen.

Patricia

Susan M. Dixon in Lanham, Maryland

80 months ago

Happy Good Friday,

I have recently lost my position. They did give me a severance package. They relocated to where they new I would not like to commute. I stated this, and new that they already had two people who were to perform the same duties. I new that I would be the one to go. It would had been nice to have known. It is always easier to find a job while you have a job. Like it or not!!

sincerely,

susan M. dixon

My new opportunities seem to like my resume and my disposition, but I feel they would like someone younger and pay less.

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario said: I lost my boss as well, but not under the same circumstances. He got a promotion in another company. I am still in a job, but not the one I chose. Change is hard. I wrote about it on my blog: secretaryhelpline.blogspot.com/search?q=breaking+up

The best advice I read was from Richard Moran in his book Nuts, Bolts & Jolts "...give yourself two days at most to feel sorry for yourself. Focus on your next job, not your last one.”

Another one I read by Alexander Graham Bell:
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

I wish you the best as you look for another job,
It will happen.

Patricia

Jodith Allen in Bellingham, Washington

79 months ago

It's always tough when you lose your job. I was laid off in 2006 when my boss left his job to move across the country and they decided not to fill his position. I was given 15 days notice and no severance. Needless to say I was frantic.

I was very lucky to find a job again quickly. Of course, I took a $4,000 a year pay cut because I moved into the non-profit world. However, I do love my job here and I feel like I have a positive impact on what happens in the agency. So it was a good and bad outcome.

The most important thing you need to do is get a really great resume. When I first started looking for a job when I moved here 6 years ago, I was just getting no bites at all. Then finally one person pointed out that my resume didn't easily point out all of my great skills. They recommended redoing my resume, and it made all the difference in the world in getting interviews.

Jodith
administrativearts.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.