Getting an aircraft painter job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

How did you get your start doing aircraft painter work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

art decesare in Cocoa, Florida

93 months ago

looking to get a new job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jeffrey roberts in Saint Louis, Missouri

81 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing aircraft painter work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I'm a industrial liquid spray painter i would like info on what and how to get into the aircraft painting career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jeffrey roberts in Saint Louis, Missouri

81 months ago

I'm in minneapolis minnesota

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

baldwin in Wickenburg, Arizona

68 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing aircraft painter work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I moved to Az from Mi back in 81 stated working for a little mom and pop shop after 11 yrs bought company ran it for anther 12yrs sold it and have been working for various companies just to get an idea of how other shops perform, debating about going back into business gonna wait on the economy see if it starts to turn around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony-com2003@yahoo.com in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

57 months ago

looking for work for aircraft painting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

timothycline

56 months ago

jeffrey roberts in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I'm a industrial liquid spray painter i would like info on what and how to get into the aircraft painting career.
Jeffery, you would probley want to look for a painters helper first, that do aircraft. When painting planes, they uselly want you to be able to be a prep person also. The first thing you do to a aircraft is tape it up for it to be stripped of its original paint, down to the bare aluminum. And then you start preping it for primer. There are 2-4 stages involved when doing a complete paint job. My advice start has a helper & go from there. That is how I learned to paint Aircraft

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony-com2003@yahoo.com

56 months ago

Hi jeffery,
Yes you would like to preper first, to learn the basics first, when working with preper, you will learn quick, how to sand, tape,strip, acid wash,alodine, then masking to prime. and paint but then you will learn how to prime, it's just step by step, like anything esle, aircraft painting it's more high tech painting then industiral painting, so you will see the deffernet. it will be a little easy for you because you are a painter also, so just little you need to know, hope this info help you.
Tony,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joseph Guerrero in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

I started doing aircraft prep-work such as sanding, masking the aircraft from knowing a friend who desperately needed a hand doing a full citation, and to get to this current position, you would need either 1 go to school, and hope they get you a job in a industry that needs it, or your second option would be to know a friend of a friend type of thing.

Now as aircraft painting education, there is only common sense that applies, there is no need for a straight education. I have been in the industry for only 8 years, but I've been there sense the age of 13, with no degree, and only a high school diploma. I have a considerable military experience such as Apache's, and simple Leer's, and King Air's, and other type of jets, and helicopter's. I hope this helps simply to them that want a brief answer.

Now to know what to know on the job: 1) Don't ever pull out your phone with the boss.
2) Don't stare at the toolbox's Mechanics think you might be a thief, or thinking about stealing there tool's
3) Remember at all times you are working on multi-million dollar machines, and if there leer's, and wing tips are low, watch your head when working on them.
4) Mask, sand, re-check masking, Finalize (clean), and then the easiest of it all paint.

If you can paint a aircraft, helicopter. then you can pretty much paint anything, from interior, to extior, and please, PLEASE. Only use the paint that is neccecary to what it goes too. 'For example' Car paint doesn't go to a aircraft.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.