IS THERE A LAW STATING THAT APARTMENT MANAGERS and/or APARTMENT MAINTENANCE WORKERS HAVE TO LIVE ON-SITE?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Noelle in Concord, California

57 months ago

My dad is the maintenance worker for the apartment building we currently live in. A couple of months ago, the manager of the building moved out of our complex and is now living in an apartment at another complex.
Recently, my family bought a house that is less than one mile away from the apartment building. My dad told his supervisor that we bought a house, and his supervisor was not happy about it, because she said that it is a law that an apartment complex has to have at least one worker living on-site: either the manager or the maintenance worker. If this is true, then they should’ve informed us about it before we bought a house.
Is this an actual law?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

57 months ago

yep, someone has to live on site if there are more than 20 units or something like that. Did you inform them that you were buying a house? How would they know to tell you if you didnt tell them. Have your dad read his contract, it's probably in there, it was in mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

57 months ago

Yes. Any property with 16 or more rental units must have a 'responsible party' who lives on-site. That is often a manager, but it can also be a live-in janitor or the like.

Either way, why is the LL peeved and at whom? Unless the landlord had a formal arrangement for you to play the role of manager or your dad to, then why or how can she be upset?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Property Management Professional in Dallas, Texas

57 months ago

This must be a california law...seems very odd that your are "required to do so". In texas all we are required to do is make sure you have a number available and posted on the leasing office and have emergency maintenance be available 24/7 to respond in case of an emergency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T

57 months ago

I think it is a California law.... we have crazy stuff here.... and the list gets crazier daily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Desert Hot Springs, California

47 months ago

Is there a law that states that Apartments are required to have a certain number of maintenance employees for so many apartments? Like a ratio of one employee for every 100 apartments - for example. If so, how can I get a copy of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Jerry in Desert Hot Springs, California said: Is there a law that states that Apartments are required to have a certain number of maintenance employees for so many apartments? Like a ratio of one employee for every 100 apartments - for example. If so, how can I get a copy of it.

There is no such law in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

henrymur08@yahoo.com in Hacienda Heights, California

38 months ago

i manage and maintain 71 UNITS 1&2 BDRMS APARTMENTS IN POMONA CA ONSITE ONE SECTION OF32 AND DOWN THE BLOCK 37 UNITS SAME OWNER.SWHOULD EA BUILDING HAVE ITS OWN ONSITE WORKER IS IT FAIR THAT I HAVE TO DO MAINTENANCE AND MANAGE BOTH.SHOULDNT THEY HAVE AN ONSITE WRKER ON EACH BUILDING

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hudmngr in Redwood City, California

38 months ago

In the State of California if a owner has more than 16 units on 1 lot they are required to have an on site manager. This is in case of emergencies and to manage the property after hours as well. It is supposed to help with the control of the property as well. People are more likely to behave if management lives on site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steve jordan in Sacramento, California

37 months ago

i live in a apartment complex with 75 units and since january theres been no body living on-site we call the office in they said there some one living on-site but theres no one

easygoing in Highland, California

35 months ago

what are the statues to these laws? I live in an appartment building where manager is never there and sign in window says open 9am - 6pm but its not! the manager is never around. seems to me the manager should have to be there during tyhe daytime hours>true or not true?

35 months ago

easygoing in Highland, California said: the manager is never around. seems to me the manager should have to be there during tyhe daytime hours>true or not true?

There is actually no such stipulation in the law that I know of about that. I doubt any apt complex is required to have staffed office hours... or office hours at all. The question is really and simply if the landlord and/or his agent is responsive and reasonably prompt in reply to questions, concerns, or problems tenants raise. If they can do that through email, phone, text, or even simply a drop box for notes, then so be it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dianaglover in Dallas, Texas

35 months ago

No, although, check with local laws. Not here in Texas. If here in Texas, it sounds like the property manager just wants to maximize response to emergency calls and was upset about not having that.

NVWC in Victorville, California

26 months ago

The management at the 140 + unit complex basically collects the rent! A trainee maintenance worker is the only agent living on site they are young, and often 'out.' I feel like 'prey' after management leaves in the pm. ALL tenants are aware when they do. People drag out their unsupervised dogs, hordes of children race up and down sidewalks knocking down anyone in their path, foul-mouthed preteens take over the 'kiddee playground, bbqing, it is a disaster :( How do we get enforcement of basic safety codes?

Jeczescika in New York, New York

8 months ago

It must be a state-by-state law. I have seen this law in NJ. Does anyone know if this is also true for the state of Virginia?

"(e) The person who performs janitorial services for a multiple dwelling of nine or more dwelling units
(other than where janitorial services are performed on a 24-hour a day basis under (c) above) shall reside
in or within a distance of one block (www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/pdf_regs/njac_5_10.pdf)"

irish2fin in Rocklin, California

7 months ago

Noelle in Concord, California said: My dad is the maintenance worker for the apartment building we currently live in. A couple of months ago, the manager of the building moved out of our complex and is now living in an apartment at another complex.
Recently, my family bought a house that is less than one mile away from the apartment building. My dad told his supervisor that we bought a house, and his supervisor was not happy about it, because she said that it is a law that an apartment complex has to have at least one worker living on-site: either the manager or the maintenance worker. If this is true, then they should’ve informed us about it before we bought a house.
Is this an actual law?

§ 42. Caretaker (25 CCR § 42)
A manager, janitor, housekeeper, or other responsible person shall reside upon the premises and shall
have charge of every apartment house in which there are 16 or more apartments, and of every hotel in
which there are 12 or more guest rooms, in the event that the owner of an apartment house or hotel does
not reside upon said premises. Only one caretaker would be required for all structures under one
ownership and on one contiguous parcel of land. If the owner does not reside upon the premises of any
apartment house in which there are more than four but less than 16 apartments, a notice stating the
owner's name and address, or the name and address of the owner's agent in charge of the apartment
house, shall be posted in a conspicuous place on the premises.

brentwilliams2 in Houston, Texas

7 months ago

I take it that this is a California law, because no law like that exists in Texas.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.