How long does the average apartment manager remain at the same property?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

T

56 months ago

Those of you that have been in this field for awhile, what do you think the average stay at a property is? I would think it has it's hills and valleys due to familiarity with the tenants. I feel weary of seeing the same people day after day, and just wonder if I will get over this and want to remain where I am after it passes. I know that changing properties would only be a different view of the same rederik and don't know it if's worth it to make a change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

56 months ago

I'm working my third apt manager gig. The first one lasted about three years, the second one four years, and I'm in the middle of the first year of my third one.

I don't know if you can really generalize about this since every property, every landlord, and every property management agency is different. With each, you have good ones and bad ones, competent ones and incompetent ones, pleasant ones and not-so-pleasant ones.

I don't get 'weary' of seeing the same tenants everyday. If anything, it gets easier over time having the same tenants because I get more used to what they want (good and bad) and I get better at interacting with them and helping solve their problems.

But mostly, I don't get 'weary' of them because I will only work for properties that have decent clientele and a decent landlord. With a good property, you don't have to explain the landlord being a slumlord or make excuses for him/her. With good clientele, they don't whine about stupid stuff or make problems for me (behavior, late rent, etc.).

With my property/tenants, I usually never see them and they rarely come to see me. Because the property is well maintained and the landlord does the upgrades and improvements he should, my tenants are generally pretty happy and know that this is a good deal for the rent they pay. And because we screen applicants well and won't take anyone just because we want the rent, we get good tenants, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

One thing about being an apt manager is that there will always be a certain amount of stress. You aren't just another tenant who happens to sweep up trash or pick up dryer lint everyday; you are the person who sometimes has to tell other tenants, 'No, you can't do that.' That role is not always an easy one and it will cause you some stress. It has to.

Maybe that is the '(weariness)' you are talking about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

T

56 months ago

Thanks for your comments Charlie. I do like my tenants, I think maybe because I run a subsidized complex is where my weariness lies. So much continual paperwork and invading the privacy of the tenants with inspections. I would probably be less stressed running a conventional property. I'm waiting for someone to offer me one on a silver platter maybe, haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I'd never manage a subsidized complex, for all the reasons you cite: too much paperwork, too many inspections, etc. But also because you have little say in screening who becomes a tenant and because such complexes are VERY loathe to make tenants behave.

I'd just rather pay full rent somewhere else and be a regular tenant than manage a subsidized property, even if it included free rent plus a salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HUDMANAGER in Sacramento, California

51 months ago

The average length for an apartment manager depending on what type of property. Low-income/affordable housing is 2 years. The stress is high and the work load is enough for 2 people if only 130 units.
Not sure on Conventional properties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HUDMANAGER in Sacramento, California

51 months ago

take my survey for HUD/affordable housing manager. www.hud-manager.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.