Black and Brown Apartment Managers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

rolandgroce in New Orleans, Louisiana

46 months ago

I'm a pretty open and proud gay black single parent and have had experience managing an apartment with my ex-boyfriend who is a white man (not that it matters)... I am now moving around the country and I really like the job of apartment manager, and I do it very very well, as I am also an interior design student. I wonder WHY are there no or not many black and brown skinned apartment managers.... I have also worked with Employment Security and I understand the trends as well as the prejudices and stereo-types of yes, white people and I hate it, but it never stops me from wanting to find a nice apartment building to manage with any color residents. Isn't it pretty obvious all across this country (where in Europe, there is diversity in this field), that there is something terribly wrong and therefore a lot of ignorance and discrimination going on in the field of property management? I don't care to read through hateful and racist comments but more importantly, I'd like to hear why this is happening. Please comment....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

46 months ago

Maybe people of color dont apply for the jobs much? There would be lots of properties that would thrive with a black or/and or gay manager, especially in California. Maybe you are looking in the wrong state? Come try your luck in California and I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Just dont come with a chip on your shoulder, we arent into that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rolandgroce in New Orleans, Louisiana

46 months ago

Thank you for your response. Very reasonable. How ironic, San Francisco is the place I'm taking my job search and energy. Wish me luck. Warm Regards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

matt in Phoenix, Arizona

43 months ago

It is not hate or racism like you are tying to make it out to be. I have a friend who is mixed black and indian (from india) and he can get a job as an apartment manager anywhere he wants to. he has even replaced white men just by having a conversation with the owner of the property. It is the people who make every little problem they see into a race issue that are the true racist people, all you are doing is trying to use your color as a defence for your own hate and racism and its time you and others like you grow up and stop saying its becouse im black. it is getting old and tired and thank god nobody is scared of being politicaly correct just to please one group of people like they were a long time ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gail in Sacramento, California

42 months ago

I would like to thank you for your comment! I use to think that there was no black managers because of lack of education in this field. But it doesn't take a hole lot of knowledge to be a property manager. I often wondered that myself until I experienced discrimination myself. As a black female working in this field for 13 years. I found myself running a 184 unit apartment community for 7 months. After 5 months I hired a white female assistant to help me run the property. They hired a White male as property manager after I had been manager for all that time and took this property under my wings as well as my assistant. The new manager was hired in December and I was terminated in January. It could not have been my work. I had been running things for 7 months by myself. I was stabbed in the back by my white female assistant. And the new manager did not want a black face in the front office. Not only that but I was passed over for the managers position. Now the assistant I hired have my job. They didn't even look at me for the manager's position. Now I'm having a hard time getting back into the field. All I want is a manager's position with a company that is a good fit for me.
Do you have any idea's how we can breakthrough this ignorance or discrimination?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gail in Sacramento, California

42 months ago

I would like to thank you for your comment! I use to think that there was no black managers because of lack of education in this field. But it doesn't take a hole lot of knowledge to be a property manager. I often wondered that myself until I experienced discrimination myself. As a black female working in this field for 13 years. I found myself running a 184 unit apartment community for 7 months. After 5 months I hired a white female assistant to help me run the property. They hired a White male as property manager after I had been manager for all that time and took this property under my wings as well as my assistant. The new manager was hired in December and I was terminated in January. It could not have been my work. I had been running things for 7 months by myself. I was stabbed in the back by my white female assistant. And the new manager did not want a black face in the front office. Not only that but I was passed over for the managers position. Now the assistant I hired have my job. They didn't even look at me for the manager's position. Now I'm having a hard time getting back into the field. All I want is a manager's position with a company that is a good fit for me.
Do you have any idea's how we can breakthrough this ignorance or discrimination?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.