tenant with clutter issues

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

T in Modesto, California

38 months ago

How do you tell a tenant that they have to down size? Some people have so much "stuff" in their apartments and I am supposed to tell them they cant have it because if something happened to them and we had to bear the cost of having it all removed it would be a huge cost. How do you tell someone nicely that their "stuff" needs to go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

E in Salem, Oregon

38 months ago

...That doesn't seem like a legitimate constraint on the tenant. Is it in the contractual rental agreement? Because if it's not, then it's none of your business how they use the space they've rented from you until that contract is broken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

38 months ago

I'm inclined to see a fire hazard - definitely a violation of the lease. Should the apartment catch fire, many people could die. An apartement is rented with the intended purpose of living in it - nor for storage.

A tenant should have "normal property", what is intended for everyday living. Anything beyond that, you have a legal right to do something. I would call the Health Department and have them come inspect the apartment. Let them decide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

38 months ago

Oops - typo!!!! ALERT! ALERT! I "apartment is spelled incorrectly!!!@!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

38 months ago

I would say I have about 4 units with clutter issues, would it be discriminatory to single them out by involving a 3rd party to look in their unit? That's where it can get sticky in my opinion.

geebz in Portland, Oregon

36 months ago

T in Modesto, California said: How do you tell a tenant that they have to down size? Some people have so much "stuff" in their apartments and I am supposed to tell them they cant have it because if something happened to them and we had to bear the cost of having it all removed it would be a huge cost. How do you tell someone nicely that their "stuff" needs to go?

There should be a section in the rental agreement that addresses "clutter" or "excessive clutter". It is the resident's responsibility to keep the premises clean and free of clutter and debris. I should be a part of the rental agreement. Please review the agreement and then on your notice, cite that particular section verbatim. Hope that helps!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.