service animal

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

dariceb in Rockford, Illinois

30 months ago

can a tenant with a service animal have that service animal in the community room where the other tenants eat just because it's a service animal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

David Otto in North Las Vegas, Nevada

30 months ago

You can bring a bona fide, trained service animal anywhere in the apartment complex. You can sue them if they try to stop you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

30 months ago

Yep, they can go anywhere. The best thing you can hope for is that the tenant is a responsible person with their animal. Only "certified" service animals are allowed to do this tho, not companion animals. The owner should have the paperwork on them at all times and the animal should be wearing it's vest so it's easily more easily recognized as a genuine service animal. A certificed service animal is very well mannered and will usually not be a problem in any setting, they are trained that way.

30 months ago

No disabled person is required to show paperwork for the service animal. The Apt. Management can ask about the training of the animal, but they'd better be careful how they do it. The only way to teach them is a lawsuit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

30 months ago

I beg to differ. Having your animals credentials on your person may not be a requirement but will come in very handy if someone asks you to leave with your dog. You have to be able to prove the animal is legit. I've seen a person call the cops when a store owner asked them to leave with their dog. The officer asked the person to show the dogs certification, she didnt have it. It's no different than having your own drivers license on you, sometimes you need it. A responsible service animal owner will be prepared to prove their animal is a service animal. Otherwise ANYONE could pass off their animal as a service animal. My tenants have all givem me copies of their animals certification and most keep a copy in their purse or wallet in case they are question when out in the world. No judge would allow someone to be sued in a case where the animal owner could not show proof of the animals legitimacy.

30 months ago

The public accommodation or apartment complex, the store you mention, and perhaps even the Police Officer (showing his lack of training and ignorance of the law, was liable in suit for asking for such credentials. It's very well established law. No handicapped person need carry such credentials for a service animal, including but not limited to a mini-horse, monkey or dog.

T in Modesto, California

30 months ago

This might ring true for a visible disability but not so much for the invisible disability.

30 months ago

No, it' the law for all disabilities. You can inquire about the dog's or other animal's training. But are not allowed to ask for paperwork. I do recall there being some cases where.... yes, a judge in his courtroom was allowed to ask for certification paperwork because the dog was misbehaving. Turns out, the dog wasn't certified. I know of no other circumstance where asking for 'proof' of certification is legal. This was only decided after a lawsuit. That lawyer and plaintiff got nothing. Usually it wouldn't go that way.

ApartmentManagerTips in Ontario, California

27 months ago

We ask our residents who have service animals to see their doctors note. It can be a simple "this person needs service animal" but we need to see proof it isn't just a "pet", since it waives the pet deposit.

cherishrumor@yahoo.com in Esparto, California

6 months ago

T in Modesto, California said: I beg to differ. Having your animals credentials on your person may not be a requirement but will come in very handy if someone asks you to leave with your dog. You have to be able to prove the animal is legit. I've seen a person call the cops when a store owner asked them to leave with their dog. The officer asked the person to show the dogs certification, she didnt have it. It's no different than having your own drivers license on you, sometimes you need it. A responsible service animal owner will be prepared to prove their animal is a service animal. Otherwise ANYONE could pass off their animal as a service animal. My tenants have all givem me copies of their animals certification and most keep a copy in their purse or wallet in case they are question when out in the world. No judge would allow someone to be sued in a case where the animal owner could not show proof of the animals legitimacy.

It is against the law in the State of California, to ask anyone for certification of a SERVICE ANIMAL. One can be fined up to 2500.00 dollars and be subject to previous laws and cases where someone has retained from court 3X the fine. ADA says no one can ask for a service animals certification. Fines are also subject to the current laws and past awards. BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU ASK FOR CERTIFICATION. It at all possible, go online and register your animal for free. Then when someone ask to see it stick by the law, sue them and show prof in court. You could win your case and a substantial award to maintain your service animal.

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

6 months ago

If someone asks for paperwork regardless if that is a police officer or a member of the public then they are opening themselves up to a large lawsuit. Police officers are not exempt from the law at all. The people who have these animals are not required to carry paperwork to prove it. They should not be open to extra harassment because they have a dog. No it is not like a DL at all. That comparison is false. In fact they should be entitled to all rights under the law as everyone else. If a business owner is harassing them then that is a foolish person as they risk loosing revenue for acting the bollocks. It is time for members of the public to understand that any extra harassment of this type of situation is wrong and against the law.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.