do most managers have a waiting list and are able to fill vacancies almost before they are empty

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

new at this in Concord, California

34 months ago

My girlfriend and I have been managing 49 unit for a little over one year. We have an apartment at the owners 30 unit complex, but also manage a small trailer park and a house and fourplex. I get calls all the time even when not advertising and of course make note of who they are, what they need, how to reach them, and if I get a 30 day notice, I call the appropriate people on my list. Without exception, they have already found what they need and we eventually fill the unit through ads or referrals from tenants etc. The owner feels we aren't doing enough and suggest we call other managers or "network" with others who could send people our way. I've never been called by another manager for a referral. I do post flyers in shopping areas and with organizations that are working with specific ethnic groups, churches, community organizations etc., but when a vacancy comes up, the stress that is put on us to fill it, is mind numbing. Today I returned a holding deposit equal to one months rent, because they wanted to cover the security deposit in two payments and were first time renters with no rental history. Plenty of income, new baby, but not a lot of ready cash. That was the owners decision and it is really frustrating. Is this average or does it take most of you a little time to fill a unit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

34 months ago

The same thing happens to me.

ApartmentManagerTips in Ontario, California

31 months ago

That can happen. Make sure when you are keeping track of leads that you know when they are moving and if that time is flexible. Keeping good notes on guest cards makes this easier. That way you can narrow down who to call if something comes available. Free advertising like Craigs isnt bad either.

Corki in San Francisco, California

19 months ago

I usually fill vacancies before the previous tenant has vacated but I'm active in a community I've lived in for 30 years, and a lot of the tenants send their friends. Maybe networking among your better tenants could give you a 'stable' of potential responsible tenants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.