California Apartment Manager Questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Poor Man in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

I manage an apartment complex with 2 buildings with 10 units each for a total of 20 units. I only get a 1 bedroom rent free. My duties are collecting the rent, filling vacancies, and maintenance of the property by hiring vendors. I've been working here for a year along with a part time job not affiliated with the property. Recently, I asked the landlord for a monthly salary but was denied. I'd appreciate any fellow apartment managers who could answer the following questions for me:

1) How much should I be realistically getting paid in southern California for this type of work?

2) This property has 2 separate buildings with a different address for each building. Also as I mentioned earlier each building has 10 units each for a total of 20 units between the 2 buildings. However, the 2 buildings share a driveway entry and a parking lot. Does this type of property require an On Site Manager?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JB in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

Poor Man in Los Angeles, California said: I manage an apartment complex with 2 buildings with 10 units each for a total of 20 units. I only get a 1 bedroom rent free. My duties are collecting the rent, filling vacancies, and maintenance of the property by hiring vendors. I've been working here for a year along with a part time job not affiliated with the property. Recently, I asked the landlord for a monthly salary but was denied. I'd appreciate any fellow apartment managers who could answer the following questions for me:

1) How much should I be realistically getting paid in southern California for this type of work?

2) This property has 2 separate buildings with a different address for each building. Also as I mentioned earlier each building has 10 units each for a total of 20 units between the 2 buildings. However, the 2 buildings share a driveway entry and a parking lot. Does this type of property require an On Site Manager?

Wow! So say your 1 bedroom apt is $1,000 mo for rent well that is approx $33 per day so minimum wage is approx $8.50 per hour that is apporx 4 hours per day of work. do you pay Utilities phone Internet cable Is that paid for you? Figure what each might cost each month. That your salary. Now most apt mangers will usually make more than min wag per hour. And work an 9 hour day with 1 hour for lunch only 5 days a week. Onsite managers can be on-call I would imagine that is considered 24/7 Unless you have specified days and hours you are to be available? I have never been employed as an apt manager. My insight is just observation. My son just got hired and will be earning approx $40,000 per year and also have a free 2 bedroom apt with garage and washer dryer frig and clubhouse and pool jacuzzi wight room and theater and billiards in OC CA. This is a larger complex at this time I do not know the total of apts he will be managing. I know he is going to have on-site staff to assist with leasing and maintenance.

Poor Man in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

I pay electricity, gas, phone, and internet. Only thing the landlord covers is water and trash, that goes the same for the tenants. It sounds like your son is working for a reputable property management company. He must have a lot of experience and/or probably a real estate license, those types of jobs are hard to get. Yeah, I know I'm underpaid, I'm just waiting for a better opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ApartmentManagerTips in Ontario, California

31 months ago

Yes, in CA any property over 12 units must have a staff member live onsite.

I managed 24 units (at a nice place) when I first got started managing apartments 3 yrs ago. I got a free 1000sqft 2 bedroom, free utilities, including cable, internet and cell phone (for business purposes). Plus about $200 a month salary. I got got an additional bonus of $300 when the community was at 100%

The pay isn't great. But for me (single mom and student) it gets me by :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Apartment Manager in Encinitas, California

31 months ago

Just to let you know, the owner is only allow to credit $329/month of rent towards your salary. No matter what the value of the apt is. (that amount might be a dollar or 2 off, but it is around that amount)I am assuming you work more than 38 hours a month? You should keep track of your hours, multiply it by at LEAST $10/hour, subtract $329, and that is what the owner should be paying you per month! I have done extensive research on this and know this is the law in California!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.