What is the Tenant's responsibility when bedbugs or roaches appear?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

J in Astoria, New York

59 months ago

I am an exterminator in new york. They just passed legislation in new jersey making it the property owners responsibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Hilikus in Seattle, Washington

58 months ago

Bed bus is a bad problem, growing 70% in the last 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

T

50 months ago

monique in san diego ca said: In my apartment we dont have a landlord only a owner. But he hates to come around because he's alway crying broke. Me and my moms found out we have bed bugs and the owner is trying to found anything to make it our problem. But the thing is in april we told he something was bitting us really bad . Not just us but the dog too. So just in the past two month he has been turning he's phone off and the only way he could help is frogger this place.That is making them more mad and come out like carzy for the past 3 weeks me and my mom have been sleeping in a chair. Last week he did a heating treatment himself and guess what they came back the same day. I wash all the clothes and everything he told me to and they came back. Not only has he think he knows anything about bed bug but he is say to everyone in that apartment that it's all our failts. Also saying that our dog who get flea treatment two time a month is bring them in. I told him we would pay for any treatment with a person who knows what they are doing and he would not agree with that. I dont know what to do with the guy I dont have the money to move so what can I do.

i just found out that before we moved in jan 3 2010 that almost everyone had bed bugs and had to pay for eveything. more than 1000

Move

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Chatsworth, California

44 months ago

About five years ago, my roommate and I dealt with bedbugs in our apartment. It was a nightmare.

I would definitely do more research, as I did when I had to deal with them, on this topic. You will find that clutter and dirt have nothing to do with bedbugs being in someone's apartment, or why they're there. The cleanest and most pristine hotels have been infested with bedbugs.

Bedbugs are travelers. BUT they travel with ANYONE. A neat freak may pick up one inadvertently in his or her suitcase, in a second-hand piece of furniture they've bought, or his or her pet may bring one in, since bedbugs are akin to ticks.

Bedbugs feed off of humans. Not off of crumbs, dust, dirt or other waste products. Therefore, the presence of those is not indicative or predictive of whether or not someone will have bedbugs in his or her apartment.

Again, you might want to do more research before you make such harsh judgments about people and/or situations of which you don't know all the facts. Yes, bedbugs are a nightmare to get rid of. And you have my sympathy there, as someone who went through hell getting rid of them and half of my stuff, since the critters are so tiny and thin that they can get into the tiniest of crevices, and you can't always be sure that they aren't there.

In general, as it's been said above, California is seeing a resurgence with this problem. It isn't the fault of one person or a group of people. You who are so harsh in your judgments and statements may one day find yourself having to deal with the nightmare that bedbugs bring to tenants. And you may find yourself on the receiving end of the same judgmental statements as you've written here. I don't think you'll like receiving or hearing them any more than anyone else would.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

About five years ago, my roommate and I dealt with bedbugs in our apartment. It was a nightmare.

I would definitely do more research, as I did when I had to deal with them, on this topic. You will find that clutter and dirt have nothing to do with bedbugs being in someone's apartment, or why they're there. The cleanest and most pristine hotels have been infested with bedbugs.

Bedbugs are travelers. BUT they travel with ANYONE. A neat freak may pick up one inadvertently in his or her suitcase, in a second-hand piece of furniture they've bought, or his or her pet may bring one in, since bedbugs are akin to ticks.

Bedbugs feed off of humans. Not off of crumbs, dust, dirt or other waste products. Therefore, the presence of those is not indicative or predictive of whether or not someone will have bedbugs in his or her apartment.

Again, you might want to do more research before you make such harsh judgments about people and/or situations of which you don't know all the facts. Yes, bedbugs are a nightmare to get rid of. And you have my sympathy there, as someone who went through hell getting rid of them and half of my stuff, since the critters are so tiny and thin that they can get into the tiniest of crevices, and you can't always be sure that they aren't there.

In general, as it's been said above, California is seeing a resurgence with this problem. It isn't the fault of one person or a group of people. You who are so harsh in your judgments and statements may one day find yourself having to deal with the nightmare that bedbugs bring to tenants. And you may find yourself on the receiving end of the same judgmental statements as you've written here. I don't think you'll like receiving or hearing them any more than anyone else would.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Whoops! Sorry - my comment posted twice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

heh in Pasadena, California

44 months ago

Bedbugs are not just a nuisance, but also a health risk to everyone in the apartment unit and complex. That said, the cost of hiring an exterminator should not fall solely on the landlord. First of all, if the tenant has lived there for a number of months and suddenly has bedbugs, it's safe to assume that the tenant brought the pest with them. (Of course, if they were present in an adjacent unit, but that unit's tenant didn't report it, the pest could have spread.) The tenant should pay at least half of the cost, if not all. Landlords should not bear the cost because they didn't bring the pest, but they might do it if they're being nice or the law says so.

Keep this in mind: If the landlord has to pay and continue to pay for pest control to keep bedbugs and other vermin away, the tenant's rent will go up to recover the cost. One way or another, the landlord will get the money back. So it would be best for the tenant(s) to work something out with the landlord.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

T in Riverbank, California

44 months ago

Four months might not be considered "long" enough, my guess would be the landlord. that's what I think a judge would say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis in Des Plaines, Illinois

43 months ago

Our building is approximately 50 years old. We never had an infestation of any kind. We recently rented to a young mother with two children; they moved in October 2010. Two days ago she called and told us she thinks she has bedbugs; she have been scratching fo a few weeks; but didn't think anything of it. She was reading two days ago and saw bedbugs crawling on her bed. We had the all three units inspected; hers was the only one with bedbugs. She told us that she was given a mattress by a friend, and it was in their gargage. She probably didn't even inspect it, as she is a filthy clutter pig, as well as her children. I was shock when I went into the apt, clutter everywhere, dirt and filth all over the place; her bedroom, you couldn't even walk with the piles of clothing; her daughter's had a dirty stench when I opened it up, also piles and dirt and scrap everywhere, they had no hangers to hand clothing, thrown throughout the apt. Her son's room filthy wrappers on floor, dirt scatter throughout his room, clothes are over the room; piles of clothing and scrap in the livingroom; and even the kitchen; the stove filthy; dishes & sink filthy. The two bathrooms filthy; one toilet bowl not flushed; one rust in the bowl, mirrors dirty, etc. And they all have terrible perspiration oder. Since she brought in the bedbugs, and two apts are bedbug free so far she should be responsible I would believe. I really want to call in the board of health. I'm going to go by her last landlord because I noticed on the lease she moved three times in the last 3 1/2 years? I would not have rented to her but the apt was empty for a while and my husband made the horrendous decision to rent to her! Who should pay for this extermination. Help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

t in Modesto, California

43 months ago

I hope you took pictures when you entered. If not, do it.
I would have her move out due to the clutter, surely yourlease covers that. Get the place exterminated, pay for it, and then sue her in small claims for half of the bill. You probably wont ever see payment but there would be a judgement on her credit report.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis in Des Plaines, Illinois

43 months ago

Thanks. Yes, I took pictures! Of course we took care of the exterminating of her apartment. We certainly didn't want infestation thoughout the building. We had heat treatment. She'll pay for it; unforunately, by monthly payments. If she reinfests, we'll get her evicted; if she continues to live the way she does, we'll evict. Even after we were told the bedbugs are all dead; I still couldn't sleep, and of course our apt was very still so hot last evening as well; thank good for good ole AC. Again thanks.

Jl, alaska

42 months ago

I moved into an apartment a multi plex building that I have lived in for years. Landlord said the people living downstairs have bed bugs and are a mess, they're pounding on walls cause of the bugs it must have been bad. I woke up one night with one on me and that was all I saw for a while, until the people downstairs were evicted and that apartment was not only vacant for a month but also renovated, and then I saw more than a dozen. It's awful and he won't get pest control in here. The lady in the apartment next to me has them. I suspected I had them because I had a rash of hives all over my arm, someone told me that's what bites look like sometimes, I'm sensitive to the bites, I don't know what else to do and being that these things are spreading so fast where can I go that won't have them? I can't afford to buy new furniture. I'm so mad. He says almost all the units here have them. It's a nightmare.

D in Hastings, Michigan

42 months ago

Tina in Chatsworth, California said: About five years ago, my roommate and I dealt with bedbugs in our apartment. It was a nightmare.

Thanks! I love your comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

norah in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

heh in Pasadena, California said: Bedbugs are not just a nuisance, but also a health risk to everyone in the apartment unit and complex. That said, the cost of hiring an exterminator should not fall solely on the landlord. First of all, if the tenant has lived there for a number of months and suddenly has bedbugs, it's safe to assume that the tenant brought the pest with them. (Of course, if they were present in an adjacent unit, but that unit's tenant didn't report it, the pest could have spread.) The tenant should pay at least half of the cost, if not all. Landlords should not bear the cost because they didn't bring the pest, but they might do it if they're being nice or the law says so.

Keep this in mind: If the landlord has to pay and continue to pay for pest control to keep bedbugs and other vermin away, the tenant's rent will go up to recover the cost. One way or another, the landlord will get the money back. So it would be best for the tenant(s) to work something out with the landlord.

I currently have been living in my apartment for over a year bed bug free, then new tenants moved in under me and a few weeks later my children were waking up in the middle of the night with huge bites all over their bodies, at first i thought it was masquitos but i never saw any after a few days of investigating and monitoring i found out it was bed bugs . I was on my way to speak with the manager when i saw the downstairs apartment being fumigated by exterminators so i asked what was going on when one of the kids told me they had bed bugs and that they even had them in their previous apartment!!! I was furious! my landlord sprayed my apartment twice and they just keep getting worse also i had to throw away all my kids stuff and a lot of our furniture and buy covers for my bed that is way to expensive to throw away.. all that and the bed bugs are still here! i try to convince the manager to treat the bugs with heat and offered to pay for it but she refused

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Arlene in Pompano Beach, Florida

40 months ago

My daughter has applied for an apartment in Astoria, put a deposit down pending approval and found out there is a major problem with bedbugs. Can she get her deposit back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

norah in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

well I really cant afford to move right now and the manager insits that the pecticide will work but it hasnt, also my husband and i both came down with the flu after the pecticides but my husband got a really bad flu that caused him to have guillain berre syndrom and now he is completely paralyzed and been in the hospital for 2 weeks and has not got better. I don't know where or how to begin this battle i even told the manager and all she said was sorry and reminded me that i am late on the rent even after i told her i wasnt going to pay rent untill this nightmare is over .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

foxxyredd in New York, New York

40 months ago

Someone I know had bedbugs; tenant brought them in, he had a heating system brought in up to 165 degrees, and this heat kills all the bedbugs; it cost $1,500. though.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

foxxyredd in New York, New York

40 months ago

Heat is the best; it will definately kill them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chuck in Denver, Colorado

40 months ago

I don't agree with tenants bearing the costs in all cases...I recently moved into an apartment and apparently my neighbor had an infestation...well...the pest company the landlord used...didn't find "live" bugs (geniuses) so they didn't treat the apartment. So the little goobers came to my apartment and now in addition to my 14 hour work days...I get to wash all of my belongings and vacuum every inch of my apartment daily...while they treat the infestation!

I should not have to pay a dime...and in fact I feel I should be compensated as this is a huge inconvenience for me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sarah415 in San Francisco, California

40 months ago

I just established residency at a weekly/monthly hotel in san francisco. Since I have moved in my things have been infested with bed bugs, my child and I have been bitten every night and I have put in writing several times my concern, along with pictures of our bites. The management keeps saying the exterminators will be coming soon. I dont think I should have to pay my full $800 rent but I dont wan to be kicked out either we have no were else to go! Please if anyone has any info on the laws behind paying your rent with infestation on bed bugs in SF let me no! Thanks

hudmngr in Redwood City, California

40 months ago

norah in Los Angeles, California said: well I really cant afford to move right now and the manager insits that the pecticide will work but it hasnt, also my husband and i both came down with the flu after the pecticides but my husband got a really bad flu that caused him to have guillain berre syndrom and now he is completely paralyzed and been in the hospital for 2 weeks and has not got better. I don't know where or how to begin this battle i even told the manager and all she said was sorry and reminded me that i am late on the rent even after i told her i wasnt going to pay rent untill this nightmare is over .

Bed bugs are brought in through used furniture, traveler's (people who travel and stay in hotels and motels). The only way to irraticate bed bugs is through heating up the house or apt by professionals and it can be costly. Bed bugs cannot survive in over I believe 150 degrees F. Pesticides will not work. Your landlord should do some research about it, but note that you may have brought them in and not even known it; therefore, you may have to share the cost if not all of it.

cynamac in Carrollton, Texas

40 months ago

We moved into an apartment in Texas and we have lived here since May 2010. (it is now September 2011). The downstairs tenants moved out about a month after we moved in. Then there were tenants there for about 10 months. We just got new tenants and now my son's room has bed bugs. We re-signed our lease in January 2011 to re-new in March. In our first lease, there was no bed bug addendum. In our new lease, there is. I didn't think much about it until I found bed bugs in my son's room. He has a new bed and so do my husband and I. There are no bed bugs on our furniture. They are all over the corners of the walls and ceilings. Very hard to see. I am about to call the apartment office as we just discovered them at about midnight last night. I want to know what my rights and responsibilities are.In the addendum we signed, it states our responsibilities but not our rights. What are my rights? We did not bring in these bed bugs. We haven't travelled in over a year. When my boys go back and forth to their dad's, they rarely take clothing or anything.

I really just need to know what my RIGHTS are as an apartment tenant in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

40 months ago

cynamac in Carrollton, Texas said: We moved into an apartment in Texas and we have lived here since May 2010. (it is now September 2011). The downstairs tenants moved out about a month after we moved in. Then there were tenants there for about 10 months. We just got new tenants and now my son's room has bed bugs. We re-signed our lease in January 2011 to re-new in March. In our first lease, there was no bed bug addendum. In our new lease, there is. I didn't think much about it until I found bed bugs in my son's room. He has a new bed and so do my husband and I. There are no bed bugs on our furniture. They are all over the corners of the walls and ceilings. Very hard to see. I am about to call the apartment office as we just discovered them at about midnight last night. I want to know what my rights and responsibilities are.In the addendum we signed, it states our responsibilities but not our rights. What are my rights? We did not bring in these bed bugs. We haven't travelled in over a year. When my boys go back and forth to their dad's, they rarely take clothing or anything.

I really just need to know what my RIGHTS are as an apartment tenant in Texas.

Bedbugs travel in moving trucks, that is another huge dilemma. No one can pin point the source of origin in most cases. Everyone wants to play the blame game because no one wants to pay for the high cost of extermination.

cynamac in Carrollton, Texas

40 months ago

My brother did pest control for over 10 years. I just got off the phone with him and he says he's seen tons of infestations of bed bugs. When I told him where they were in my apartment, he told me to have them inspect the other units also. When I called the apartment office, the manager told me that I would have to pay for pest control treatment of the entire building (16 units). When I told her that I would not bear the responsibility alone, she told me that my unit was the only unit that could be infested because I'm the only one that has complained. I told her that it is unlikely that my unit is the only unit with bed bugs and she told me that "Bed bugs can't travel between units. They only stay within the unit that they start in." WRONG. I have done my homework and they CAN travel from unit to unit. I also asked her why I would have to pay for the entire building to be treated if my apartment is the only one that could be infested because they don't travel from unit to unit. She then stated that they can indeed go from unit to unit. Back to square one. I want all units inspected. I am about to contact the county health department and see what my rights are from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

concerned in Westbrook, Maine

39 months ago

Jamie in Chatsworth, California said: It is the landlords responsibility to pay for an infestation of bed bugs.
There is an infestation of bed bugs in CALIFORNIA. Do the research.
Maybe the tenant before didn't have any because the uprise of bed bugs hadn't happened yet.
If the city Inspector comes, the landlord will be charged. End of story. They will take pictures, inspect and sue.
Bed bugs will spread, infest your whole apt building, then you will have to pay for everyones expenses.

Most states are enacting new laws that protect the landlord's rights. If a tenant continually becomes infested with bed bugs after being heat treated 4 or 5 times within 2 years at the cost of $1500 per treatment at the landlord's expense, whose responsibility is it? No surrounding units are infested. Out of 45 units, 1 is infected. Is it the lifestyle choice of the tenant? Where is the tenant hanging out? Who does the tenant have for guests? An egg can be brought into a unit on the clothing of a guest who has frequented a place where bed bugs are prevalent...perhaps a city bus?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

concerned in Westbrook, Maine

39 months ago

cynamac in Carrollton, Texas said: My brother did pest control for over 10 years. I just got off the phone with him and he says he's seen tons of infestations of bed bugs. When I told him where they were in my apartment, he told me to have them inspect the other units also. When I called the apartment office, the manager told me that I would have to pay for pest control treatment of the entire building (16 units). When I told her that I would not bear the responsibility alone, she told me that my unit was the only unit that could be infested because I'm the only one that has complained. I told her that it is unlikely that my unit is the only unit with bed bugs and she told me that "Bed bugs can't travel between units. They only stay within the unit that they start in." WRONG. I have done my homework and they CAN travel from unit to unit. I also asked her why I would have to pay for the entire building to be treated if my apartment is the only one that could be infested because they don't travel from unit to unit. She then stated that they can indeed go from unit to unit. Back to square one. I want all units inspected. I am about to contact the county health department and see what my rights are from there.

You should contact a lawyer. I am not sure what the protocol in Texas is, however, it is customary for a responsible landlord to inspect all adjacent units to the unit that is infested...at the cost of the landlord. It is pricey...but landlords do need to protect the property.

Timothy in Los Angeles, California

37 months ago

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California said: Did you know that almost 63% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

yea, but only 73% of us will believe that.. Damn, I did it again! haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dsmt in San Leandro, California

37 months ago

muhlenberg residents/workers in Brooklyn, New York said: there is a building in brooklyn new york i believe may be fully infested with bed bugs and scabbies. though the buildings management is aware of the situation, they have refused to remedy the situation. the building is a S.R.O.- single room occupancy. in addition to the tenants the staff has also been exposed. what laws are there to protect all the people in the building. how can the situation be exposed properly and permanently.

Thank Goodness that I have never had this problem. However, you must contact an extermination company to have any and all pest problems resolved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bill Folds in Columbus, Georgia

37 months ago

I have been living in an extended stay foe 2 yrs. about 3 mths. ago I found that I had bedbugs,they seem to have become infested from another unit above me.
I threw away a basicly new mattress and boxsprings,,the owners had my unit treated,,I moved into anouther unit while this was being done.
Now I have found them again,,I informed the mang. that the people behind me were so nasty, and that they were ifested with them.
the maint. man went and looked,,came back and said," yes you are right,,they are terrible" back there.
I was told that I could move to another unit,BUT, would not be compinsated for the cost of the painting I have done,the loaor,norfor the wallpaper borders.
A person should have theright to recover these loses.

Anita in Cleveland,Ohio in Snoqualmie, Washington

35 months ago

I moved into a 4plex apt in March 2011 the house was not finished and the crew was doing minor work none the less we moved in. After being here about two weeks I noticed baby roaches. I notified the landlord and he gave me some raid. Won whidering if the rest of my neighbors had an issue with roaches I asked them and they did, and the man that lives down under me said he had bed bugs too. He is on section8 so the landlord has to exterminate for him which caused them to come up to my home and more roaches came. I notified the landlord that I spoke with the tenant downstairs n he told me about the issue and how he aggreed to exterminate. He told me it is my expense. I asked him why wasn't it they guys downstairs expense when he had them and that I knew that he only agreed because section8 codes had to me met to keep the apt as a section 8 apt. I'm very upset because everytime they exterminate the efforts I have been doing to control them myself goes out the window, and the landlord does nothing to fix the problem and avoids me. I have started taking the rent $ to escrow, and contacting agencies for help..I don't think my problem will ever be solved because once they spray downstairs the bugs have 3 other apts to run to. I'm very concerned because we have a new born baby in the house and we don't want to move and take them with us to create a problem somwhere else.

Cherie in San Antonio, Texas

34 months ago

To Anita in Cleveland, Ohio.

First contact your county health department. What you need to provide to them is pictures and possible affidavits of other tenants. Next what you need to do is contact section 8. When you talk to them let them know that they are doing business with a landlord that is pulling this type of mess and while that he is making sure that he is doing the bare minimum to ensure that their section 8 tenants are being watched over ( you know to get that check), the health and safety of other residences are being ignored. Yes, they only do check the units that their participates will reside in, but the whole apartment would be considered habitual under their program. I am also sure that their is more then one section 8 tenant. If all else fails just tell your landlord that the health department is coming to look at your apartment and that section 8 and them work hand in hand. If issues like roaches and bedbugs affect one unit, as sure as the sun rises it will affect another unit. If this does not work move! Start over if it is a real bad infestation. This will prevent you from taking them to your new place. Hope the above was of some help.

Jorge Gonzalez in Kalamazoo, Michigan

34 months ago

foxxyredd in New York, New York said: Heat is the best; it will definately kill them!

NO Really I just have my done like 3 days ago and I was very happy that My apartment was going to be bed bug free. but this morning checking out my bed i found like 4 of them hidding on my box-spring. I'm very mad at my landlord because the apartment above me an dthe one above that one were infected recently and the didn't tell anything about it and I was breaking my head thinking how i got them if my wife and i bought everything new just because of the story about bed bug!!!

I'm calling the landlord tomorrow because this is not fear I have to throw away my brand new bed of like 4 month and I have a newborn babying in te aparemnt i have to work and on top of that me an dmy wife are college student and how are we supposed to deal with all this mess !!!!

I want to get out of here !!!! But who is going to pay for everything on my apartment!!.
!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

39 FRANKLIN ST! in Biddeford, Maine

34 months ago

no tenets dont pay if it isnt their fault i moved into an aprtmenyt my son 2yrs old me my husband thouht we were geting bitten by flees due to the prevouse tenet haveing a cat but my mother (prfetional cleaner in the past) said it looked like bedbug bites shes delt with it b4 i told the landlord he said the 1st time well their was a apartment upstairs a year ago (keep in mind this was here when i moved in i wasnt informed and i was loked into a lease!) then i siad no i found some and he said well maybee u brought them in i said NO i moved in here all of my iteams were in stoege for a year (main winters kill them in storage sheds) for 1 and 2 how dare u try to balm me uv even changes ur storey then i talked to toehr tenets they said hes been giving them spray for the last 5months! I CALLED HIM AGAIN he then said ok ya it is a issue and iv been treting it u dont. i told him he needed to get a exterminateot normal pestisides wernt solving anything he said no i cant afford it (and hes redon an entaire unit so hec can liv in it so he has money to do that) i said well its ur legal reponsiblity as a lanlord lets not 4get u brock the law not informing me of this issue AND locking me inot a lease with a child he then thretend to sht off my utilitys (wich were included in my rent) i said fine ill take them gladly IF u take cair of this issue he replied not gona happen u can just move he has told no one who moves in of this issue and he JUST KEEPS SPREDING IT! also if u move u have to treat EVERYTHING or throw it all away u can treat ur cloths easy wash an laong dry but everything ele u have to get extermanter to take cair of b4 u move or ull spred it to ! not all of us have themony to throw away AND I DIDNT CASUE THIS HE DID HE LIED AND DIDNT INFORM THE TENETS OF THIS in MAINE its law u cantot rent a untit with bedbugs its considers inhabitable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lorenelady in Charlotte, North Carolina

33 months ago

I am from Arizona and moved to North Carolina about 7 mos ago. I recently found out that I have bedbugs because my son has been bitten by them a couple of times and had a really bad reaction. I contacted my manager and they did an inspection and confirmed that I had a small infestation in my boys room, she said I would have to pay 500.00 to get rid of them plus all the prep work of heating all of my belonging. I did some research and found out that alcohol can kill them on contact, so I tore my boys room apart and found only 4 bugs, two in the bed and two on the wall close to the ceiling.I told my manager that I no longer needed the exterminator to come out and she said I have to pay for the exterminator or be evicted immediately. I am wondering if it is legal to make me pay for something I dont think I need espeically since I was told that at least five other people have had problems with bedbugs so how can she be so sure that we brought them in and not someone in one of the other apartments here. I have never had bedbugs in my life and yes they are a nightmare espeicially if one is allergic to the bites. Thank you all for your comments, I found them to be very helpful.

lorenelady in Charlotte, North Carolina

33 months ago

Infested in Oakland, California

33 months ago

T in Modesto, California said: I just learned that it's totally the landlords responsibility to pay for extermination. You will have to get all your clothing out and put it in a hot car or clothes dryer to kill any that may be hiding in your clothing. And the entire process takes several days when they treat inside your unit, you cant be there.... so I'd at least ask to switch to another room if that's possible, while they treat your current one.

What is your source for this information?

feeling bad in Berlin, New Hampshire

33 months ago

how can u talk about people like that just because they r durty dont mean they r not good people maybe she had a mental condition maybe she didnt have money 4 laundry maybe just maybe something was wrong with her is no reason 2 say such mean things just on what u have said i hope u never get rid of them and they stay your problem i feel bad 4 dirty lady livimg in a 50 year old hpuse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Melanie Evans in Los Angeles, California

18 months ago

Sorry to say I dont believe in the heat treatment. I moved into an apartment in las vegas, about a month after unpacking and getting comfortable i started getting bit up like crazy- I let the managers know and a exterminator came out and I had them little things in a jar and indeed it was bedbugs- so they did a heat treatment. it was so hot that one of my good pots had been distorted and when I say that apartment didnt cool off even with the ac going full blast for two days Im for real. I thought everything was over, I did everything they told me to- washed everything in hot water. I went to sleep for the first time in awhile like YES but oh no I was awaken by this little ***** biting me- they hadnt gone anywhere... SO THAT WAS A WASTE OF THEIR MONEY- ME AND THE NEW NEIGHBOR WERE GETTING IT DONE AT THE SAME TIME- AND NEEDLESS TO SAY WE BOTH MOVED OUT THE NEXT WEEK. I LEFT EVERYTHING THERE WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE.

VanessaFas in East Haven, Connecticut

18 months ago

It depends on the state, the city, and the lease. I used to work for a large building complex in CT, and we did preventive extermination all the time. Whenever a tenant had infestation, we would call the exterminator AND the Dept. of Social Services. I don't know how big your building is, but check with your state and city laws first. It may not be the way you think.

Pooja in Seffner, Florida

16 months ago

I lived in an apartment community for almost 7 months and my lease ended 15-20 days ago and when i requested for final cleaning charges, they are charging me for bed bug treatment apart from regular cleaning charges. Many units in this apartment complex have bed bug issue and they are charging tenants to pay for the treatment. I am not sure what's there in the leasing document but is there a way i can get rid of these charges. Really appreciate any response on this.

Thanks!

BedBugAdvice in New York, New York

16 months ago

I'm 99% sure that the apartment I moved into a week ago is infested but I can't prove it because I don't have a bug sample; I only have two itchy red bumps on my wrist that weren't there before I went to bed. An exterminator is scheduled to come in three days to inspect the apartment. I've spent so much time inspecting the apartment myself but I can't find any damn bugs. Should I wait for the exterminator to confirm or should I tell the landlord before then?

cooking demon in Cody, Wyoming

12 months ago

I have had similar problems. My daughter and I currently are stuck in an SRO in San Francisco. The pesticide they use, Temprid, has all kinds of nasty side effects when you dig deep enough through the corporate sell of "Oh they use it on food" crap. No they don't. They use it on seed and workers aren't even allowed to enter the warehouse after treatment for 12 HOURS without haz mat suits. Workers in the field after planting have to wear protective covering just to walk in a field with seeds buried in DIRT! Even on the Bayer site it states to not use it on anything that is intended for lengthy human contact! So they spray it on mattresses? It's not even the mist, it's the film left behind on the walls and such. I've felt like I've had something close to pneumonia for weeks. No, it doesn't work.

I mailed an exposure toxicologist in Riverside about my daughter, my and our dog's symptoms and he strongly advised me: Tell them not to treat your room, go to a doctor, they will report it to county commissioners and make sure it's recorded.

I'm fighting with the A$$hole management because they aren't complying with the Building Inspection codes and using our room as a test dummy. They are determined to continue until they release the violations and such and in the meantime I'm arguing that I don't want to die from being poisoned.

norah in Los Angeles, California said: well I really cant afford to move right now and the manager insits that the pecticide will work but it hasnt, also my husband and i both came down with the flu after the pecticides but my husband got a really bad flu that caused him to have guillain berre syndrom and now he is completely paralyzed and been in the hospital for 2 weeks and has not got better. I don't know where or how to begin this battle i even told the manager and all she said was sorry and reminded me that i am late on the rent even after i told her i wasnt going to pay rent untill this nightmare is over .[/Q

SusieQ in Cambria Heights, New York

5 months ago

While I feel your pain for what you went through, given the situation with your "tenant from hell," it is unfortunate that your comments help to promote the very things that make bedbugs so stigmatizing. As an example, you say that three apartments were inspected, and hers was the only one which was infested. If this goes untreated, within 90 days, all apartments will be infested, no matter how pristine they are kept by their respective owners, or how "clean" they are. Furthermore, the young lady who you indicated keeps moving in and out of apartments has no vested interest in having the entire property vermin free-but you do--as owner, so if you do a cost-benefit analysis, it would be best to take whatever funds are given as rent, and invest in pest control.

5 months ago

Phyllis in Des Plaines, Illinois said: Our building is approximately 50 years old. We never had an infestation of any kind. We recently rented to a young mother with two children ; they moved in October 2010. Two days ago she called and told us she thinks she has bedbugs; she have been scratching fo a few weeks; but didn't think anything of it. She was reading two days ago and saw bedbugs crawling on her bed. We had the all three units inspected; hers was the only one with bedbugs. She told us that she was given a mattress by a friend, and it was in their gargage. She probably didn't even inspect it, as she is a filthy clutter pig, as well as her children. I was shock when I went into the apt, clutter everywhere, dirt and filth all over the place; her bedroom, you couldn't even walk with the piles of clothing; her daughter's had a dirty stench when I opened it up, also piles and dirt and scrap everywhere, they had no hangers to hand clothing, thrown throughout the apt. Her son's room filthy wrappers on floor, dirt scatter throughout his room, clothes are over the room; piles of clothing and scrap in the livingroom; and even the kitchen; the stove filthy; dishes & sink filthy. The two bathrooms filthy; one toilet bowl not flushed; one rust in the bowl, mirrors dirty, etc. And they all have terrible perspiration oder. Since she brought in the bedbugs, and two apts are bedbug free so far she should be responsible I would believe. I really want to call in the board of health . I'm going to go by her last landlord because I noticed on the lease she moved three times in the last 3 1/2 years? I would not have rented to her but the apt was empty for a while and my husband made the horrendous decision to rent to her! Who should pay for this extermination. Help?
comments separate

5 months ago

While I feel your pain for what you went through, given the situation with your "tenant from hell," it is unfortunate that your comments help to promote the very things that make bedbugs so stigmatizing. As an example, you say that three apartments were inspected, and hers was the only one which was infested. If this goes untreated, within 90 days, all apartments will be infested, no matter how pristine they are kept by their respective owners, or how "clean" they are. Furthermore, the young lady who you indicated keeps moving in and out of apartments has no vested interest in having the entire property vermin free-but you do--as owner, so if you do a cost-benefit analysis, it would be best to take whatever funds are given as rent, and invest in pest control.

5 months ago

ok

jackie tenant in Andover, Massachusetts

3 months ago

i live in an apartment complex, we haven noticed cockroaches in the kitchen. When my bf called the leasing office they stated that we would incur the expense of the extermination services. Does anyone have any information in mass about this.. thank you

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.