HOW MANY UNITS IS TOO MUCH...???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

T

60 months ago

That's a personal thing. I manage 56 units and my husband does the maintenance. As far as collecting rent and all the other tenant stuff, I think I like this amount. I maybe could handle another 10 or 20 units... but would rather not. I'm comfortable with this amount. I have a friend that manages 80 units, she's a little busier than me, but she handles it just fine. I just think it's what YOU can handle. I managed 130 before, but it was more hectic and I didnt like it much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

CUNFUCIUS I AM in SAN FRANCISCO, California

60 months ago

T said: That's a personal thing. I manage 56 units and my husband does the maintenance. As far as collecting rent and all the other tenant stuff, I think I like this amount. I maybe could handle another 10 or 20 units... but would rather not. I'm comfortable with this amount. I have a friend that manages 80 units, she's a little busier than me, but she handles it just fine. I just think it's what YOU can handle. I managed 130 before, but it was more hectic and I didnt like it much.

OK THEN, THANKS. I STARTED LOOKING TO BETTER MY SET-UP. GOT THE RESUME READY. I AM THINKING OWNWER/OPPERATOR NOT A MNGT CO. A PLACE WHERE I CAN DO IT ALL MYSELF, DONT WANT ASST. OR ANY ON SITE STAFF, OUTSIDE VENDORS ARE OK. YES 130 IS TOO MUCH, 80 SOUNDS GOOD. I FEELL THE PROPERTY AND THE TENANTS THAT LIVE IN IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH IT ALSO...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T

60 months ago

It took us about a year to get the bad tenants out and mold the rest into what we needed for a harminous property. Our property is about 25 years old, so there are a lot of bugs in the plumbing and occasional electrical situations. We are chipping away and the property is getting easier to run every day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CUNFUCIUS I AM in SAN FRANCISCO, California

60 months ago

I DO UNDERSTAND, MOLD THEM. I CALL IT TENANT EDDUMACAYTION. PROB HAVING AN OWNER THAT RESPECTS OTHERS IS A BIG HELP AND ONE THAT WANTS TO HAVE A SUCCESFULL PROPERTY. I HAVE LEARNED TO GET INFO ON THEM FROM THE NET ON APT RATINGS AND THE REVIEWS THAT TENANTS POST ABOUT THE APT THEY LIVE IN. SO NOW I WOUNDER HOW IT IS WORKING FOR A MGMT CO. OR A LARGE HOLDER OF APARTMENTS I HAVE ONLY WORKED FOR OWNER/OPPERATORS BUT THEY ARE LESS OF THEM. I THINK...???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

T

60 months ago

In my opinion you are better off working for a Management Company. There is more organization and better benefits. The company I work for has a lot of properties and we all follow the same guide lines. It also gives you opportunity to transfer to another property in a town that you may like better than the one you are at, and you can walk into the office and it's business as usual because you are already on the same page.
I like my property because it has no frills, no clubhouse to worry about, no swimming pool to monitor. It's a very easy, laid back property.
It's low income housing, tenant's on rental assistance behave better because they don't want to lose their subsidy. Conventional properties have more demanding tenants.
We have a great rapport with our tenants and it's like a big family.
We are on our own for the most part, my regional manager visits our area only a couple of times a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Al Manning in Long Beach, California

60 months ago

How many unit do you need to require a resident manager

Mykeshia Taylor in Memphis, Tennessee

56 months ago

Hey my name is Mykeshia Taylor I'm 19yrs. old and I'm thinking about investing in muilt-family apartment In I need 2 know what steps do I take to get there????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mykeshia Taylor in Memphis, Tennessee

56 months ago

Where do I start from after real estate school????????????????

HUDMANAGER in Sacramento, California

42 months ago

if you run a low income or affordable housing project then anything over 85 units you should have 2 office personel; however, the owners don't think so.
take my survey as your question is one that I had too.
www.hud-manager.com
After I do my research paper for school I plan on sending my findings to HUD!

T

42 months ago

HUDMANAGER in Sacramento, California said: if you run a low income or affordable housing project then anything over 85 units you should have 2 office personel; however, the owners don't think so.
take my survey as your question is one that I had too.
www.hud-manager.com
After I do my research paper for school I plan on sending my findings to HUD!

We are definitely over worked and under paid. We should be getting govt wages for all we put up with. Since most of our tenants have disabilities or they are whacked out from drug abuse it is very challenging dealing with them and getting all the certifications done. I would love to have an assistant. I have never taken a vacation because I know if I'm gone for a week I'll have a large pile of crap to deal with when I get back which just ruins being away for me. I have a decent salary but I really can't save any money, not in these hard times. Since I'm a shrink, a teacher, a mentor, a bookkeeper, a cop and a psychiatrist I should be making at leat 1k a year, and I'm worth every penny of it, lol!!

HUDMANAGER in Carmichael, California

42 months ago

I agree with you, but unfortuantley we are at the bottom of the totem pole and underpaid......I encourage all to take my survey, it will be very eye opening and things can be fixed but need people to step up and take the survey.

www.hud-manager.com

Alma in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

CUNFUCIUS I AM in San Francisco, California said: MORE THAN 16 UNITS OWNER SHOULD HAVE A MANAGER ON SITE.

Where can I find this regulation? Do this also work with Shelters where Manager function is more focus to client service?

steveo in Highland, California

29 months ago

I live in an appartment where there is 19 other units and the manager is new and has a god like complex, he is never at the location and has a second job during the day that keeps him away, For the life of me I can't understand why the owner would make him a manager,since I've moved in I have had nothing but problems with guy in respects of getting needed repairs fixed, do I have any recourse for him being a lousey manager? the owner refuses to talk to tenents? I need advise.

CUNFUCIUS I AM in Alameda, California

29 months ago

you need to make sure you keep a paper trail and document everything. depending on the type of problems you have in your apartment look for the rent board or call the health dept. a well writen letter addressed to the owner, but forget the god like complex thing with the manager stick to the issues of your apartment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Poor Man in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

I'm curious, how was the previous manager? As far as the new manager having a second job, I think that's pretty common at an apartment with such few units. More than likely he is just getting rent free or discounted rent. I know the apartment I manage, the landlord would only hire somebody with a full time job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Azores in Portugal

18 months ago

T said: That's a personal thing. I manage 56 units and my husband does the maintenance. As far as collecting rent and all the other tenant stuff, I think I like this amount. I maybe could handle another 10 or 20 units... but would rather not. I'm comfortable with this amount. I have a friend that manages 80 units, she's a little busier than me, but she handles it just fine. I just think it's what YOU can handle. I managed 130 before, but it was more hectic and I didnt like it much.

Hi my name is Hildeberto,

I am in the process of immegrating to United States. I am looking for a job as a property manager in California. Would you please tell me if i have to have any special trainning or curse and if so can i do it on line. Is there anything that i should know about this besiness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.