Apartment Manager Salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

CUNFUCIUS I AM in SAN FRANCISCO, California

69 months ago

1936 in Los Angeles, California said: I am working 7 Days a week as Apartment Manager for 56 unit. In this economy I have vacancy
20%. Owner require to stay on a property all a time. I am paid $ 400 a month and I have Free
2 Bedroom Apartment. I spend 70 to 80 hours a week documented on a my time card submited every month. My wife is on Agreement also.
Your opinion Please.

THE 2BD IS GOOD BUT I COULD NOT LIVE OFF ONLY 400 IN MY OPINION I WOULD TRY MY BEST TO GET THAT 20% RENTED AND ASK FOR A RAISE I HAVE 64 UNITS A 1BD AND 2000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Get outta the basement in Yorktown Heights, New York

68 months ago

Hey- I'm a building super in Yorktown Heights, NY. I have 90 Unit and a 2 bedroom. I belong to the biggest service employee union Local 32 BJ. Maybe you guys out there should organize a union. I work 40 hrs. Overtime after 40hr. 5 weeks paid vacation after 23 years of service, 15 paid holidays and 10 sick/personal days. Plus 2 days off a week. It's time to stop living in the dark ages, organize. Louie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

HEY - SUPER DO YOU GET A SALARY...???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Get outta the basement in Yorktown Heights, New York said: Hey- I'm a building super in Yorktown Heights, NY. I have 90 Unit and a 2 bedroom. I belong to the biggest service employee union Local 32 BJ. Maybe you guys out there should organize a union. I work 40 hrs. Overtime after 40hr. 5 weeks paid vacation after 23 years of service, 15 paid holidays and 10 sick/personal days. Plus 2 days off a week. It's time to stop living in the dark ages, organize. Louie

HOW DO THEY WORK OUT YOUR PAY...??? SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE HOURLY IF OVERTIME IS ADDED.

slave 2newowner in Hayward, California

62 months ago

I finally found an excellent attorney that is an expert in this field..go to mossmgrlaw.com/index.htm tell him Karen sent you :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

boojulimick in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Hi there everybody,
I just wanted to ask a question. I am going to be starting to manage a 44 apt complex this month. I have been told that the prestent manager was told she is fired on 12/4 and is expected to move out on the 12th. Is this normal time the owners give the resident manager to leave?
Do they have to give a 30day notice as they would to a tenant?
if your expected to be avaible 24/7 does that mean you actually dont have a day off?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

CUNFUCIUS I AM in SAN FRANCISCO, California said: THE 2BD IS GOOD BUT I COULD NOT LIVE OFF ONLY 400 IN MY OPINION I WOULD TRY MY BEST TO GET THAT 20% RENTED AND ASK FOR A RAISE I HAVE 64 UNITS A 1BD AND 2000

do you have to clean property, vacant apts and Maintenance, too?
what do the 2 bedroom run for in that area?

T in Modesto, California

61 months ago

It all depends on the contract that the owner has with their manager. If I get fired, I'm supposed to vacate in 3 days.... You can only do what you can do tho, just like when you evict a tenant, some times it takes more time than you want it too. Working where you live is hard... if you lose your job, you lose your home, so you have to stay on your toes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

61 months ago

You are supposed to be available 24/7, but you can make that work for you. Your tenants will get used to what hours you want to keep and will learn to respect your wknds if you train them to do that. But if there is an emergency maintenance thing.... well, yep, you need to be available to do it. There's a big difference in opinion as to what a maintenance emergency is tho, so school your tenants. If it's something that can wait till Monday, then so be it. A clogged sink is not an emergency, a sparking light switch is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

oh wow 3 days? that's not cool at all! but I suppose it's a job , if you get fired from your office job you have to leave that same day!

61 months ago

great advise , this will be my first Onsite manager position. Thank you very much.

A.R in Scottsdale, Arizona

60 months ago

CUNFUCIUS I AM in SAN FRANCISCO, California said: HEY 1936, 56 UNITS IS ALOT OF WORK. MAKE SURE YOUR VACANT UNITS ARE READY TO GO AND SHOW YOUR BEST ONES FIRST.

I have been in the industry for 13 years. My first community was 36 units. I also had to put in long hours, sometimes I had to turn and maintenance apartments. I had a free apartment and a $500.00 monthly salary. It sounds you need to put your pay increase in writing. The more documentation you have to show your dedication, the better your chances are.

There are many reasons as to why apartments sit vacant. Here are some tips.

1. A sparkling bucket is good to have. Walk your vacants on a regular basis and make sure they smell inviting.
2. Your oldest vacant should be set up as a mini. Once that is rented than go to the next.
3. Owner(s) or management company needs to compromise on the rents or specials.
4. Post to Craigslist and The Rentables.com...They are FREE. Be competitive.
5. Shop your comps on-line and in person. This will help you get a feel what they are doing and this will also help you do a system check.

Lastly, I'm not saying your not doing your job. However, that many hours for a small property seems like there's more missing. Could it be organization or could it be priorities from all parties. I would recommend that you give yourself a daily checklist and start with your vacants. This will help you shine and it will also work in your defense if you document all traffic and what you have done so they don't think you're not working. If you get the community at 95% which is the NOI (Net Operating Income) you are more than likely to get a yes for your raise.

Wish you all the best and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jacob in Lawrenceville, Georgia

60 months ago

Hey there everyone. I'm looking into getting to something more stable like apartment property management. I obtain a real estate license but is it a necessary requirement for such a position?

How do the work hours look? Is it possible to aslo complete college at night with such a job?

What is the starting salary in today's market for biginners? and how does training work?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Charlie in Mountain View, California

60 months ago

What exactly are you asking, Jacob? Becoming an live-in apartment manager or getting into running a property management company?

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

60 months ago

T in Modesto, California said: You are supposed to be available 24/7, but you can make that work for you. Your tenants will get used to what hours you want to keep and will learn to respect your wknds if you train them to do that. But if there is an emergency maintenance thing.... well, yep, you need to be available to do it. There's a big difference in opinion as to what a maintenance emergency is tho, so school your tenants. If it's something that can wait till Monday, then so be it. A clogged sink is not an emergency, a sparking light switch is.

Exactly. Not everything is an emergency or needs to be attended to immediately. Don't be afraid to tell tenants 'no' when it is appropriate. Also, learn to screen your calls.

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

60 months ago

I have found that screening calls from tenants works wonders. If their call warrants an immediate return call, then I do it. But if not, then I call them back when it is convenient for me. I absolutely do not allow tenants to call my cell phone or text message me since they are told to call only one other number for all issues (including emergencies) or to email me. Limiting the number of ways tenants can communicate with you to just one phone number and one email address will help keep your sanity.

(Tip: Google Voice will allow you to listen in on voicemails being left as they are being left. You can also jump in on voicemails as they are being left and talk with the caller, which is convenient when you realize that it is an urgent call.)

I return non-urgent tenant calls at only two times a day: just before lunch and in the evening after dinner and that's it. It's a lot more efficient to do this than to be making calls all day long. Same goes for all tenant emails (since they by definition are not urgent, otherwise they'd be calling).

ron in Flint, Michigan

43 months ago

boojulimick in San Diego, California said: Hi there everybody,
I just wanted to ask a question. I am going to be starting to manage a 44 apt complex this month. I have been told that the prestent manager was told she is fired on 12/4 and is expected to move out on the 12th. Is this normal time the owners give the resident manager to leave?
Do they have to give a 30day notice as they would to a tenant?
if your expected to be avaible 24/7 does that mean you actually dont have a day off?

how much are they paying u to run that

Amelia in Saint Louis, Missouri

40 months ago

if you are an apartment manager -- and you are fired do you have 7 days to vacate? if you quite, do they let you stay on and pay the normal rent?

kimscharms55 in Sonora, California

31 months ago

I am up for a position as a live in manager for an apartment complex in Tracy,Ca . What is the salary one makes for this position?.The duties as I understand it is light maintenance an collecting rent . The complex is quite large .

CUNFUCIUS I AM in Foster City, California

31 months ago

if its a large complex, and you will be there full time you should make as much as any other person with a regular job does or better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bruins77 in Malden, Massachusetts

30 months ago

CUNFUCIUS I AM in SAN FRANCISCO, California said: THE 2BD IS GOOD BUT I COULD NOT LIVE OFF ONLY 400 IN MY OPINION I WOULD TRY MY BEST TO GET THAT 20% RENTED AND ASK FOR A RAISE I HAVE 64 UNITS A 1BD AND 2000

can you get a roommate?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.