on-site apartment manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

sarah e. noles in Lexington, South Carolina

76 months ago

i am a graduate of AREA Real Estate School as a real estate salesperson. I also attended the post-licensing certificate. i am presently studying for the real estate exam. i am interested in an on-site apartment manager position, instead of going straight into the real estate sales world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Glendale, Arizona

76 months ago

You may able to do this for a company that is willing to trian you.
However, most likely you will have to start in on ground level position as a leasing consultant.
This will give you time on the field and teaches you the companies programs such as : AMSI YARDI RENT ROLL One Site computer accounting programs.
Also each state has their own laws regarding residents and how we can process legal paper work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Surfer in Orange, California

70 months ago

sarah e. noles in Lexington, South Carolina said: i am a graduate of AREA Real Estate School as a real estate salesperson. I also attended the post-licensing certificate. i am presently studying for the real estate exam. i am interested in an on-site apartment manager position, instead of going straight into the real estate sales world.

You may gain some experience in property management... but believe me.. apt managers are the losers and real estate guys the winners... Concentrate on selling houses and not renting apts for an owner or management company, unless you are desperate and live almost on street.

If you become a house owner and want to rent it, then this experience will help you to identify good renters. But a career in this apt industry.. it's a joke... Do not choose apt mgmt as a profession for yourself.

Just as a single mom (or married with kids) TEMPORARY you may look for rent discount to manage some 10 apts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hook3717 in The Dalles, Oregon

55 months ago

you will need to be able to have lots of understanding
and work with the tenants. each and everyone will have problems you will need to be able to resove problems between the tenants and know when to call the police and you will be woke up all hours of the night. and trying get them to pay the rent. and having to evict someone it takes about three months to that.I love it but it is so stressfull

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

55 months ago

For someone with no experience actually working as an on-site manager, your best bet is to focus on getting hired at a small complex where you only get free/reduced rent. Bigger complexes or ones that provide free rent and a salary are only going to want experienced people with a track record.

The best way to get the attention of a small complex landlord is to have experience in making minor/small repairs and doing maintenance. Such landlords usually do not have their own handyman on staff and only want to pay someone to make specialize or major repairs (plumbing, electrical, etc.). Basically, it really helps to look like you are your own handyman because most small complex LLs expect their on-site managers to make such repairs themselves.

That means being able to repair drywall, know how to do interior paint (including which to use), caulking, replace smoke detectors, replace locks, swap out P-traps, change out light switches, repair/replace toilet guts.... basically almost everything someone who owns his/her own house would try to do or do themselves. It also helps to own your own tools, owning your own truck is a HUGE plus.

If you don't know how to make such repairs, learn. While you might not be able to get such experience doing such repairs (or at least not quickly), you can quickly teach yourself HOW to make such repairs and that will come through when you interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brenda Carter in Bakersfield, California

46 months ago

I have been an apartment manager for four years. I have kept a well maintain happy tenant clientele. For the last few years I have dealt with ,the police at my apartment for having a man on the roof, leak roof caving in, getting the roof fix, getting new carpets in the apartment, new fixtures as well as new appliances. I have been very good with the tenants and they are very please for what I have done with their homes. Therefore I would be a great for the position of for an apartment manager.

Norma La Bean in Henderson, Nevada

46 months ago

I have 25 years of experience, with leasing, with few vacancies,over seeing maintenance workers,keeping property clean and presentable, bookkeeping and much more...would like something in the neighborhood of Eastern and Horizon Ridge. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tzebley in Tifton, Georgia

43 months ago

I am currently seeking a position as an Apartment Manager. I have over 10 years experience in Security and Management. If anyone knows of any positions available please let me know, I am able to relocate.
Thanks and God Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.