Too late to become an architect?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Jared

52 months ago

I'm currently thinking of a major career change. Quick bio: my degree is in history and political science. I used an ROTC scholarship to pay for it, and, being naive, signed a LONG contract for the army. It appears that I will be 33 when I can leave
the army.

I'm wondering if it would be too late to enter the architect business at that age? If I started the degree at 33, a 5 year degree would put me at 38 when I finished. Maybe shorter if some of my previous degree would transfer, but I haven't looked into this. I understand that the architect market can be iffy right now, but would a 38 year old (maybe younger) be able to compete for a job against people in their 20s? I would have 11 years of army experience at that point (if that even matters). This whole scenario would be way in the
future for me, but I'm just wondering if this is possible or if I should go ahead and quash this dream.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Drake in Göteborg, Sweden

51 months ago

I don't know much about how viable this is, but I do know there is the option of doing a 3 year Masters program in architecture. They are called first professional degrees and many architecture programs seem to have them. This would at least shorten things for you...just need to have a portfolio of some sort for your app.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

EMG in Westwood, New Jersey

43 months ago

Jared said: I'm currently thinking of a major career change. Quick bio: my degree is in history and political science. I used an ROTC scholarship to pay for it, and, being naive, signed a LONG contract for the army. It appears that I will be 33 when I can leave
the army.

I'm wondering if it would be too late to enter the architect business at that age? If I started the degree at 33, a 5 year degree would put me at 38 when I finished. Maybe shorter if some of my previous degree would transfer, but I haven't looked into this. I understand that the architect market can be iffy right now, but would a 38 year old (maybe younger) be able to compete for a job against people in their 20s? I would have 11 years of army experience at that point (if that even matters). This whole scenario would be way in the
future for me, but I'm just wondering if this is possible or if I should go ahead and quash this dream.

Jarad, I know this posting is old, but I sincerely hope that you didn't get into this profession. It sucks in many ways. Do it only if you truly love arch. and don't care much about pay and job security.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

de in Houston, Texas

43 months ago

ONLY go into architecture if you just love it AND you have money enough to do work you care about AND be able to support yourself and your family without having to work for a living!!!

That's a 30-year man speaking. Out of work now 1-1/2 years with no prospects in sight for the rest of 2010, and they are already saying 2011 will be slooowww to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.