Are there many

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

destiny in Pompton Plains, New Jersey

40 months ago

female architects? How much does an architect make? Can they live anywhere and make a good income? How much math is needed to go to architect school and do you commonly use a lot of calculus on the job? Also, what is the job like? Long hours? Many stressful deadlines? Thanks.

I know this is kind of off topic, but if anyone can refer me to somewhere else I would greatly appreciate. Also, this would be a second career for me. I have only done up to calculus, so I am wondering if I can get into a graduate architect program or if I need to take additional classes first. Also, would I have to take the GREs? I have no portfolio and have not taken any art classes. I would like to make at least 100k+. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

after reading some more posts, it seems architects are struggling to find work. job security is important to me too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

artsygirl in Clinton, Mississippi

40 months ago

If you want to make 100k+ you are in the WRONG profession.

Trust me - architect with 6 years experience, female & still couldn't find a job. If you get 55k after 5 years of working you'll be a rarity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

thanks for your input. that stinks you are unable to find a job. It seems like a fun profession to be in, but if getting work is that hard i have a lot to think about. do you think your location is hurting your chances for finding work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SD Girl in San Diego, California

38 months ago

My husband is an architect with 10+ years experience and has been unable to find work since being laid off 2 years ago. He has started his own design firm out of our home and it's doing ok, but it's a VERY hard way to make a living and takes years to get fully licensed. The compensation is good if you can get the high end contracts, but the competition is fierce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

infinite typologies in Naperville, Illinois

33 months ago

100,000 is your target? that sounds like some senior out of high school that doesn't know reality. Think about it this way, would you pay you that much if you had little experience and wasn't a seasoned professional?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.