Entering the world of advertising with a masters degree in architecture (but well versed in graphics and DNA)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

acg in lisbon, Portugal

82 months ago

I have my own practice with my wife in architecture, here in Portugal, however we also get involved in a good deal of company DNA branding and identity creation. I am wondering what my chances are of entering the world of advertising would be with my qualifications. I have over ten years experience with autocad(of course), photoshop, pagemaker, illustrator, all the microsoft office programs, over three years experience with flash, dreamweaver and macromedia products, and I have successfully created and branded identities for several different companies, for whom I continually keep a running update of their look, marketing strategies, and web content, plus teaching classes for creative and architectural drawing for design at the University level in Portugal and USA, in addition to the architectural work I have performed since 1999. I feel architecture gave me a great base in dealing with clients (as does being in tourism industry, and over six years of waiting tables!), and what makes me most excited about the creative process is the challenge of capturing the essence of someone's 'face', followed by the thrill of presenting to them, their new look. Any help or direction or words of wisdom from yee who hath done this, or who are the experts in this area, I would greatly appreciate. Feel free to email me as per my address in profile. thank you, cheers. aaron

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jayjay in Saint Paul, Minnesota

65 months ago

By the lack of response you can judge your acceptance into the Advertising world.

Your samples will be the best way to get your foot in the door or your reason for no success.

Knowing software and branding strategies does not replace talent and education. What do you know about design, typography, photography, copy writing or art trends? Do you know an en from an em? Do you know compensation for RGB and CMYK logo differences?

Frankly there are many qualified job seekers that you will be up against. Why should a client or boss choose you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.