Art Director questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Jadira Garcia in Orange, New Jersey

93 months ago

If you don't mind me asking but where did you go to school to become an Art Director.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Jadira Garcia in Orange, New Jersey

93 months ago

where do students might go to school to become Art Director.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Coby Neill in Nixa, Missouri

92 months ago

The Art Center in LA is good.

Also, Atlanta has a good advertising school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

ADAT in New York, New York

88 months ago

www.adhousenyc.com

you dont need to go to ad school for two years to understand how to think

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Hermosa Beach, California

75 months ago

Jadira Garcia in Orange, New Jersey said: If you don't mind me asking but where did you go to school to become an Art Director.

The School Of Visual Arts in New York City.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Art Director in Rockville, Maryland

75 months ago

Jadira Garcia in Orange, New Jersey said: where do students might go to school to become Art Director.

The Creative Circus is one of the best schools in the Nation. It's in Atlanta, GA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

accd07 in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

The Pasadena Art Center College of Design is one of the top 5 ad schools. After being accepted and being the lucky few to graduate (on average 30 or less graduate per year), you get to work in ad agencies or design studios.

Also, your portfolio triumphs experience. I've been hired for 7+ years art director experience positions, while I only have about 3 years experience.

There are also different industries and positions you can focus on, such as: on-air broadcast art director, art director, interactive art director, design director, integrated art director, traditional art director, brand manager/developer, and others. What interests you will slowly point you in that direction.

I can only say so much, you will learn as you go.

Also deciding to be an art director is not a choice, you get chosen if your really good. There's lots of bad talent out there. You either have it or you don't, just hope that the people you love and friends are honest enough to tell you the truth....if you do suck.

Being smart will not make you good in this industry. But coming up with ideas and visual solutions that challenge conventional thinking will set you apart from the fat.

I graduated from Art Center College of Design back in 2007, and what I learned would normally take 10+ years to learn on your own. When I started there were 18 of us, when I graduated there where 8 left. Art Center weeds out the weak half way with a portfolio review.

My opinion is just one. I hoped this help. And if you do decide to become an art director one day, polish your craft and be innovative.

Be passionate and open to new ideas, other than your own.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

damianicus in Louisville, Kentucky

71 months ago

Yes, Creative Circus in Atlanta. I went to the Portfolio Center which is there too.

The other not mentioned is UofT advertising program. It turns out portfolios just as good as Circus, but you get a place to live for all the $$$ you spend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sascha in Seattle, Washington

69 months ago

Columbia College Chicago with BFA program in Art Direction

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RVAartdirector in Richmond, Virginia

68 months ago

Jadira Garcia in Orange, New Jersey said: If you don't mind me asking but where did you go to school to become an Art Director.

The Brand Center located in Richmond,VA is the best advertising school in the nation. They have some of the most impressive professors. Its a graduated school so you must have your undergraduate degree and an impressive resume'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CD in Boston, Massachusetts

65 months ago

f school, make ads, make a good book, its cheaper, and i see the best work come from people that just do it, raw ideas, no constraints from people over your shoulder or some bun copywriter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

PJ Deusenberry in East Fallowfield, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Any thoughts about the schools in Philadelphia?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AD in Teaneck, New Jersey

56 months ago

Syracuse University Visual Arts. Having a university background gives you greater flexibility when being assigned to an account. Those who say that you don't need it are egotistical, to say the least. Other good schools are Art Center in LA, & Visual Arts in NYC. Go for the most versatile of the good art schools. It will make your life easier, and those who buck the educational value won't have longevity in the business.

AD in Teaneck, New Jersey

56 months ago

Excellent Advice!

accd07 in Los Angeles, California said: The Pasadena Art Center College of Design is one of the top 5 ad schools. After being accepted and being the lucky few to graduate (on average 30 or less graduate per year), you get to work in ad agencies or design studios.

Also, your portfolio triumphs experience. I've been hired for 7+ years art director experience positions, while I only have about 3 years experience.

There are also different industries and positions you can focus on, such as: on-air broadcast art director, art director, interactive art director, design director, integrated art director, traditional art director, brand manager/developer, and others. What interests you will slowly point you in that direction.

Also deciding to be an art director is not a choice, you get chosen if your really good. There's lots of bad talent out there. You either have it or you don't, just hope that the people you love and friends are honest enough to tell you the truth....if you do suck.

Being smart will not make you good in this industry. But coming up with ideas and visual solutions that challenge conventional thinking will set you apart from the fat.

I graduated from Art Center College of Design back in 2007, and what I learned would normally take 10+ years to learn on your own. When I started there were 18 of us, when I graduated there where 8 left. Art Center weeds out the weak half way with a portfolio review.

My opinion is just one. I hoped this help. And if you do decide to become an art director one day, polish your craft and be innovative.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

twiazy in Hayward, California

54 months ago

accd07 in Los Angeles, California said: The Pasadena Art Center College of Design is one of the top 5 ad schools. After being accepted and being the lucky few to graduate (on average 30 or less graduate per year), you get to work in ad agencies or design studios.

Good luck.

At the college you went to did you study advertisement or graphic design? I guessing advertisement but im not really sure... and if you did , did they teach you graphic design to help you be artistic? idlk if thats worded well i hope you understand my question... :)

Dineo in Johannesburg, South Africa

46 months ago

I am in S.A,I want to be an Art Director. which institution is the best one. Miami Add School is the Future though, what do guys think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dineo in Johannesburg, South Africa

46 months ago

I am in S.A,I want to be an Art Director. which institution is the best one. Miami Add School is the Future though, what do guys think?

Gillian in Bellville, South Africa

37 months ago

AAA school of advertising. There is a campus in jhb as well as cpt. Miami ad school is good but mos of the people that attend are post grad and as it is very expensive, you would also need to speak other languages.

Gillian in Bellville, South Africa

37 months ago

AAA school of advertising is the best in South africa and of the best in the world. There is a campus in jhb as well as cpt. Miami ad school is good but mos of the people that attend are post grad and as it is very expensive, you would also need to speak other languages.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.