Fresh out of college and trying to become a Jr. Art Director

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Jon in Queensbury, New York

58 months ago

I'm fresh out of college...graduated from Pratt Institute this past May earning my BFA in Communciations Design, majoring in Advertising Art Direction. Talk about not what I wanted...I'm living with my parents, and working two jobs that have nothing to do with art or design...yikes! It's been over a month now, and while I have discussed my portfolio, cover letter, and resume with different advisors...it's time to send my information out. I've been recommended to do it in hard format versus electronically...and for someone such as myself who has never worked at an ad agency before...I have on and off freelance experience..but not 2-4 years...I feel bad for some reason. Is it alright to send cover letters, resumes, and my portfolio to creative directors or recruiters even without their agency posting help? I don't want to appear like a desperate cold caller...but I really want to move on with my life and find something in my field. Any help is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

damianicus in Louisville, Kentucky

52 months ago

Hi. Hope you have a job by now but with this economy maybe not. I was laid off 2 years ago and have been scraping by on freelance. It's brutal.

The advantage you have is you're inexpensive and they can work you nights and weekends. Sorry, but that's the biz at the moment. You just have to get noticed amongst all the piles of resumes/portfolios.

Nearly 20 years ago when I was getting in, the way to get noticed was to send some kind of clever gimmick. Like a salesman who sent one very worn shoe and said he'd pound the pavement for new business.
One guy got in the awards books by saying he'd work holidays like Christmas, Easter etc. Included was a pic of his Bar Mitzvah. So you could try this. Just make it very clever.

And yes, send it to agencies that aren't looking. Start with the best ones however. Open the awards books from the last 3 years and start with the agencies that got in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.