Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are typical assistant professor salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Robert Osgood in Birmingham, Alabama

75 months ago

I am trying to find this information myself. I'm having a hard time finding this information at private institutions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John Jones Ph.D. in Decatur, Alabama

70 months ago

Having just been promoted to Associate professor at a private university in chicago, I can tell you that the average pay is not much. I started as an assistant prof 6 years ago at $42K per 9 month contract. It may sound OK from 6 years ago, but based upon the cost of living, it just barely supported a family of two and could not support a family of 4. I have actually moved into the community college system in Alabama in order to support my family.

If you are the Robert from the old middlebrooks lab, drop me a line at johncjones21@gmail.com since I am in decatur now. Maybe we can come visit you in Birmingham some time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Birmingham, Alabama

69 months ago

John Jones Ph.D. in Decatur, Alabama said: Having just been promoted to Associate professor at a private university in chicago, I can tell you that the average pay is not much. I started as an assistant prof 6 years ago at $42K per 9 month contract. It may sound OK from 6 years ago, but based upon the cost of living, it just barely supported a family of two and could not support a family of 4. I have actually moved into the community college system in Alabama in order to support my family.

If you are the Robert from the old middlebrooks lab, drop me a line at johncjones21@gmail.com since I am in decatur now. Maybe we can come visit you in Birmingham some time.

Hello John,

In fact, I am the Robert from the old Middlebrooks lab. Looks like you made a move. Sorry for the delayed reply but I haven't checked my gmail account lately ----- I have made a move myself. I finished up the postdoc at UAB and after much hand twisting and grinding of teeth, I decided to accept a position with The Rochester Institute of Technology in New York. If you are in Decatur, you would have been close enough for a visit to Birmingham or I could have made it easier for you and met you in Huntsville. Eileen used to live there for a year when we first moved to Alabama in 2005. Wow, those were the days. She would go to school in the mornings and I would make the drive to Birmingham. I know, I know ...... but gas wasn't too high then and the drive scenic, peaceful and gave me time to think about my upcoming labwork. Anyway, those days are over and I live in the land of snow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hoping to Make It! in Dayton, Ohio

69 months ago

Look here...chronicle.com/stats/aaup/

Stats and salaries are posted according to schools. Accurate info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.