Possibly clear something up for me...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Schmuckpunk in Knoxville, Tennessee

83 months ago

I am interested in teaching at a collegiate level. I have been reading some things about tenured professors and how they not only have to teach but also mentor graduate students, do research/get published, and a few other things I am not particularly interested in. To put simply is there a position where you just teach? I understand there will be other duties of course but I am not interested in really becoming a well known distinguished professor with 12 books and 27 textbooks out there, I just want to interact with students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

David in Amarillo, Texas

81 months ago

I am interested in the same thing. Cool . Based on my research, community colleges may be the way to go, as you are mostly responsible for teaching and not really publishing new work .. My field of interest is English , possibly biology .. What is yours?

Mark in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

Two job titles immediately come to mind after reading these posts. A non-tenured teaching-track professor is very common in most major universities. In strong cases these professors can ultimately reach tenure if their department is favorable to keeping them since they often reduce the load of the research-track professors who are busy writing grants, running laboratories and mentoring students. One word of caution is that you must be a strong teacher with consistently high student reviews as your tenure process will only reflect teaching abilities. The other job title would be instructor. These faculty are dedicated to teaching only and are not on tenure-track. They are very similar to the type of professor teaching at a community college. They also establish and direct a department’s curriculum. The advantages of these positions are their gateway into the university, possible collaborations with those who do publish and the normal benefits of a university post. The disadvantages are the heavy teaching load, I've seen some instructors teaching 4 classes of 100+ students in a semester, the relative lack of job security compared to your tenured colleagues and potential conflicts if a department changes focus during your career.
I've enjoyed the forum and these posts, hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

David in Amarillo, Texas

75 months ago

Cool . Thank you for the response .. That will be very helpful. I am particularly interested in Education Technology within the language department. (English and possibly foreign language). I do appreciate your thoughts, though. Every bit of info I can gather is most helpful.. Do you work for a university? You seem to know the system very well.

Mark in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

I'm only a few years into a research track professor position and learning about the tenure process as I go, but I had to make a similar choice a few years back. I know many professors working on the teaching only side, so my observations come from conversations with them as well as our constantly changing academic policies. Best of luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.