Discrimination of age, is this possible to a really qualified applicant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

greatminds in Savannah, Georgia

57 months ago

It certainly is possible and it is a doggone shame too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nene in Columbus, Ohio

55 months ago

It's not only possible but an inherent part of the system. A real nightmare is
to get interviewed by someone 20 yrs younger than yourself; it can be more than
a bit shocking if you knew of the ignorance of many HR people concerning age.
It would be tolerable if it was mild, but it's illogical, rampant and not about to
disappear any time soon. By the way, I'm not speaking of senior citizens beyond
typical retirement age, but those in their 40's and 50's. Frankly, as an executive,
I would NEVER authorize someone in their 20's or even 30's to work in Human
Resources; their just a bit too stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Opinion in Delray Beach, Florida

30 months ago

Nene in Columbus, Ohio said: It's not only possible but an inherent part of the system. A real nightmare is
to get interviewed by someone 20 yrs younger than yourself; it can be more than
a bit shocking if you knew of the ignorance of many HR people concerning age.
It would be tolerable if it was mild, but it's illogical, rampant and not about to
disappear any time soon. By the way, I'm not speaking of senior citizens beyond
typical retirement age, but those in their 40's and 50's. Frankly, as an executive,
I would NEVER authorize someone in their 20's or even 30's to work in Human
Resources; their just a bit too stupid.

Just because someone is younger, doesn't make them stupid and that is a very biased assumption. I have been in management since I was 18yrs old. Some young adults DO have the capability of getting the job done as well as someone with plenty of years with experience. Some people just have natural leadership abilities and other qualifying abilities. Hiring should be based on attitude, adaptability, integrity, and last but definitely not least, accountability, not age. For someone to get mad that they are being interviewed by or lead by someone younger than them, is flat out outrageous. I have always had people 2-3 times older than I am working for me and have had no issues with them and they have always shown me respect and gratitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

21 months ago

Ageism is there. So is nepotism. Racism. All of it. But I think there is a possibility to overcome that when one makes sure that the interviewing employee understands and can easily see why you might be the best for the job. Research the company and alter everything about yourself to match the company and the high performing employees there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.