HHGregg Stores, Inc.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Nuggiens in Lexington, Kentucky

63 months ago

I began working for HHGregg Stores, Inc. in September 2008. I was hired in as a Manager in Training. I was terminated for "violation of a company policy". I had an employee that I kidded with. It kept the atmosphere light, and we both knew that our jokes and comments were in gist and nothing personal. A nosey Sales Floor Associate who I was keeping an eye on because she was not doing her job, nor was she being held accountable used her influence (think about that one "her" influence) on a Manager (or perhaps she had "something on him") to get him to report me. Long story short, they terminated me. I would highly recommend against working for this company as they are very inconsistent. The General Manager of my store was allowed to make "Racial" statements to me and others and NOTHING was ever done about it or will be. They cheat the very backbone of their successes out of money unjustly and I can tell you that I am sure that the Fair Labor Practices are in violation. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT APPLY TO WORK THERE and I would recommend not patronizing their establishment. The Premium Service Plan they offer with their appliances is not worth the conversation they assure you it will cover. I plan to report this information to the BBB and the Attorney General's Office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

wizard29 in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

Anybody who works or worked for HHGREGG experience age discrimination?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stan in Kannapolis, North Carolina

43 months ago

Stay away from this company. They state they hire based on great personalities, but their new prime objective is making everyone robots so they can score high on JD Power mystery shopper reports. If you don't spew EXACTLY what they want you to say, every time, you will score low, be written up and have your employment threatened. Also they are now demanding each employee push extended warranties, again with threatening repercussions for those that do not. Many top sellers are being written up for not asking the entire list of questions the company dictates.

Store management is the worst. Everyone wants to pass the buck when a customer is dissatisfied, many times shoving it back on the salesperson to clear up- when it usually is the result of bad deliveries, damage, etc that is out of the salesperson's hands. Ridiculous scheduling means they pack the floor with salespeople, meaning no one can actually make a decent paycheck. Encourage working "off the clock," which violates labor laws. Management also looks the other way when unethical sales people steal customers and sales from others. Management constantly changes schedules based on corporate directives, and there are many, many extended store hours for "private" sales (what a marketing joke.) Many days this month (December!) when you stand around for ten hours and never see a customer.

You may also write a great sale, only to have no delivery because the stock disappeared. Focus is on what the company wants to sell, not what is best for the customer.

You have been warned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

djayinsc in West Columbia, South Carolina

42 months ago

wizard29 in Tampa, Florida said: Anybody who works or worked for HHGREGG experience age discrimination?

Check out the Sandhills store in Columbia SC - they let go ALL the older salesman a few months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

fred in Highland, Indiana

41 months ago

Kim in Dayton, Ohio said: That's awefully rude! Wising they would go out of business! Do you know how many employees they have with family and living expensives? I don't work for them or have family nor friends that do.. but I just think thats horrible! I believe they have about... over 100+ stores now.. thats a lot of innocent people to fire, its mean because YOU had a bad time with them... boo hoo! To both of you!

shut up mind ur own sounds like my place
but i got them all fired and i dont care about
their families

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lameduck in Jacksonville, Florida

38 months ago

worst company i have worked for my life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mitch in Lake Zurich, Illinois

35 months ago

Stan in Kannapolis, North Carolina said: Stay away from this company. They state they hire based on great personalities, but their new prime objective is making everyone robots so they can score high on JD Power mystery shopper reports. If you don't spew EXACTLY what they want you to say, every time, you will score low, be written up and have your employment threatened. Also they are now demanding each employee push extended warranties, again with threatening repercussions for those that do not. Many top sellers are being written up for not asking the entire list of questions the company dictates.

Store management is the worst. Everyone wants to pass the buck when a customer is dissatisfied, many times shoving it back on the salesperson to clear up- when it usually is the result of bad deliveries, damage, etc that is out of the salesperson's hands. Ridiculous scheduling means they pack the floor with salespeople, meaning no one can actually make a decent paycheck. Encourage working "off the clock," which violates labor laws. Management also looks the other way when unethical sales people steal customers and sales from others. Management constantly changes schedules based on corporate directives, and there are many, many extended store hours for "private" sales (what a marketing joke.) Many days this month (December!) when you stand around for ten hours and never see a customer.

You may also write a great sale, only to have no delivery because the stock disappeared. Focus is on what the company wants to sell, not what is best for the customer.

You have been warned.

It would be very helpful to see some specific examples.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mitch in Lake Zurich, Illinois

35 months ago

wizard29 in Tampa, Florida said: Anybody who works or worked for HHGREGG experience age discrimination?

All one has to do is look at the three people in the photograph on hhgregg's "Careers" page, to know what their policy is on hiring old people. What is your experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

David in Indianapolis, Indiana

34 months ago

Stan in Kannapolis, North Carolina said: Stay away from this company. They state they hire based on great personalities, but their new prime objective is making everyone robots so they can score high on JD Power mystery shopper reports. If you don't spew EXACTLY what they want you to say, every time, you will score low, be written up and have your employment threatened. Also they are now demanding each employee push extended warranties, again with threatening repercussions for those that do not. Many top sellers are being written up for not asking the entire list of questions the company dictates.

You have been warned.

I am a current employee of HHGregg and the BCR, and this is the best company that I have ever worked for. I make 4 to 5 grand every 2 weeks. JD is very imporant it grades us on our sales skills. You don't want to buy a 10 grand kitchen from a homeless guy do you? We are highly trained in our area, and the JD Power ensures that the weak employees either getr trained up or fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

PeterO in Lake Zurich, Illinois

34 months ago

"...I make 4 to 5 grand every 2 weeks." Over $400,000 a year? Forgive me for thinking that you appear to be...uh...fibbing.

(I was once a cashier at Best Buy, and I was so good that they paid me $60 an hour.)

By the way, Stepford Employees, irritate customers. People are already commenting on the scripted speech being delivered in the new Chicago stores.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

petersucksatmath in Jamison, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

PeterO in Lake Zurich, Illinois said: "...I make 4 to 5 grand every 2 weeks." Over $400,000 a year? Forgive me for thinking that you appear to be...uh...fibbing.

(I was once a cashier at Best Buy, and I was so good that they paid me $60 an hour.)

By the way, Stepford Employees, irritate customers. People are already commenting on the scripted speech being delivered in the new Chicago stores.

4 or 5 grand is no where near 400,000/ year. There are 52 weeks in a year, so 26 biweekly paychecks... 26 x $5,000 = $130,000?

bfj4u in Kingston, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

Sure have. It's part of what hhgregg does.

PeterO in Lake Zurich, Illinois

32 months ago

Jamison, PA. You are right, I do not know how I arrived at that figure.

Still, I think that that is...grossly exaggerated too. (I did the math again, and it turns out that I only made $30 an hour at Best Buy.)

Since I commented, and of course I can not prove this, because I could not document it legally, but the hhgregg sales people with whom I have spoken, did not know jack. I know jack.

Tyler Guest in Brewton, Alabama

11 months ago

I worked at Hhgregg in Mobile, Alabama for six months as an appliance salesman.
There were positives and negatives to the position. Tended to be more negatives than positives.

Positives:
1) Good comraderie with co-workers
2) Relatively simple job

Negatives:
1) Poor management- When I was there 6 months we went through 2 appliance managers and a general manager. And typically what one user wrote was correst, management didn't want to deal with customer problems and passed them off to the salesman.
2) High turnover rate- Employees rarely stayed for longer than one year.
3) Almost no one makes money- The top salesman in our store made on average 1,200 a check, so $2,400 a month. Not at all "big money" as far as a sales job is concerned.
4) Commission structure was poor- The fact that it was straight commission with no hourly wage was difficult.
5) Hours were horrible- I worked over 40 hours a week and EVERY SATURDAY FOR 6 MONTHS, often 9a.m. to 9p.m. Seriously.

If anyone has any other questions I will try to answer them.
Overall, I would not work there again if I knew what I know now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.