I graduated with an AAS degree. I want to be a teacher's assistant. What am I doing wrong?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

jldouglass@windstream.net in Sanford, North Carolina

73 months ago

I have been trying to get into the school system since I graduated in 1994. (teacher's assistant). I have gotten a few interviews but nothing comes of them. Please give me some advice s to what I am doing wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

S.S. in Nampa, Idaho

72 months ago

I have been doing the same. I am looking for work in Texas and have an AAS in Paraeducation. Is your degree in education or a related field?

I have found that since I rewrote my resume I am getting a little better response.
Since I worked as a lead teacher in an after school program I listed all the duties in a simple style like this:

2006 – 2007 – After School Classroom Lead Instructor
- Supervision of children K-3 in after school meals and homework completion.
- Large group instruction (20+ students).
- Lesson development including course related worksheets, computer presentations, and activities.
Ect.
Ect.

Break down all of the things you have experience doing and describe them in a professional way and using professional terms.

A résumé that is not simple to read on the first glance will be shoved aside.
I hope this helps. You may want to look for an after school job just to get you in with some of the teachers and staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rel in Romeo, Michigan

72 months ago

Have you tried volunteering at a local school? Parents who are involved in school activities, lunch moms, Science Olympiad, Odyssey of the Mind, etc., tend to get noticed by our elementary principals (the people who do the hiring). Principals have the opportunity to get to know how trustworthy, patient, helpful a person is before hiring that individual. The majority of our assistants got their jobs not because of what was on a resume, but because those hiring knew the person beforehand, and were confident that they would do a good job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

speck1 in Shallotte, North Carolina

72 months ago

jldouglass@windstream.net in Sanford, North Carolina said: I have been trying to get into the school system since I graduated in 1994. (teacher's assistant). I have gotten a few interviews but nothing comes of them. Please give me some advice s to what I am doing wrong.

Budget cuts. In our school system when a teacher assistant resigns or retires instead of hiring a new TA they replace them with a 2nd grade TA. We are now down to 2 TA for 9 2nd teachers. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Linzie in Huntingdon, United Kingdom

68 months ago

In the Uk, TA's are used for a number of different roles. Intervention programmes, class support, writing IEP's, planning-running-tracking-and evaluating schemes and programmes, pastoral care etc, etc etc.
We get paid fairly badly compared with teachers - my 25 hour week get under £10.000 per year, where-as a newly qualified teacher starts around £19.000. We are being used in PPA time (teachers here are allowed one third of their teaching time to prepare lessons) to cover classes, and ensure positive behaviour.
I would be interested in hearing about the roles of a TA in ohter countries and what qaulifications are needed.

Mary in Tampa, Florida

68 months ago

Linzie in Huntingdon, United Kingdom said: In the Uk, TA's are used for a number of different roles. Intervention programmes, class support, writing IEP's, planning-running-tracking-and evaluating schemes and programmes, pastoral care etc, etc etc.
We get paid fairly badly compared with teachers - my 25 hour week get under £10.000 per year, where-as a newly qualified teacher starts around £19.000. We are being used in PPA time (teachers here are allowed one third of their teaching time to prepare lessons) to cover classes, and ensure positive behaviour.
I would be interested in hearing about the roles of a TA in ohter countries and what qaulifications are needed.

Instead of wasting your professional life being a TA, finish off what is required to be a real teacher. You're young. You can do the "crap work" you're doing now and finish your education with night classes or a few day classes.

68 months ago

I would do, but really struggle with Maths. I support the subject ok, but to continue onto being a teacher, I need an A Level.
I actually like the job, making a difference - TA's can do more 1:1 work and see the difference where-as the teacher doesn't really know the lower ability group as she doesn't have a lot to do with them - so we write and follow the IEP's.
What do you do?

68 months ago

I live in the United States. I have been a teacher assistant for 30 years. I graduated college with a 2 year degree in early childhood education. The teachers has to go to school for 4 year in the US. Due to budget cuts in the state of North Carolina (that is the state I work for) they are not hiring teacher assistants.
As a assistant retires or quits her job the are not replacing them. They started replacing them with 3rd grade assistants. With the budget cuts we now no longer have assistants in 3 grade and only 2 in the second grade. There are 10 second grades at my school.

I am not here to discourage you but that is the way things are here.I wish you good luck on your job hunt.

68 months ago

I don't have any suggestion because they are not hiring new teachers in the school system if work for. Wish I had better news for you.

Tenida Plummer in Grand Prairie, Texas

65 months ago

jldouglass@windstream.net in Sanford, North Carolina said: I have been trying to get into the school system since I graduated in 1994. (teacher's assistant). I have gotten a few interviews but nothing comes of them. Please give me some advice s to what I am doing wrong.

I have worked in public schools as a teaching assistant for many years. Principals are more likely to hire people who they're familiar with. The best way to get your foot in the door is to be a volunteer and get to know the teachers. Get your name out there!!While volunteering, mention to the teachers that you are interested in being a teacher assistant. It's also a good idea to substitute often at the same school. this will give you a chance to show your capabilities in the classroom and become memmorable. Teachers can request who they want to sub for them. Also be sure you are registered in the substitute system to become eligible to sub.

65 months ago

Tenida Plummer in Grand Prairie, Texas said: I have worked in public schools as a teaching assistant for many years. Principals are more likely to hire people who they're familiar with. The best way to get your foot in the door is to be a volunteer and get to know the teachers. Get your name out there!!While volunteering, mention to the teachers that you are interested in being a teacher assistant. It's also a good idea to substitute often at the same school. this will give you a chance to show your capabilities in the classroom and become memmorable. Teachers can request who they want to sub for them. Also be sure you are registered in the substitute system to become eligible to sub.

I agree, I voulenteered for a while, and got offered my job. I only did it in my son's school as he had lots of allergies and medical stuff going on, so wanted to be approachable for the school to ask questions and work together - I only did one morning per week.
The head at the time offered me 11 hours per week, and I have built up to 25 hours. I had loads of oppertunities and training - I go on anything I'm interested in, as it counts towards my CV and I don't have to pay for it!!!
We are given a lot of responibility, but we are a great team and bounce off each other lots of support and ideas. Sometimes the teachers comment that the TA's rule the school!
Get anywhere you can - Nursery, schools and secondery schools. Also, if you do voulenteer, help out the PTA - I know they are run differently in US from UK - they are crying out for help to raise funds, so that's a sly way to get your foot in the door over here.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

patty in Fayetteville, North Carolina

57 months ago

You need to take the Substitute training course usually offered at a local community college. You must have at least 48 college credit hours or an associate degree. I think there is a course to qualify being an assistant in early childhood development and other courses, also offered at local community colleges. After you finish the course you will go onto the substitute teacher's list. Your background check must be cleared also. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.