Does Being an Auditor Require Long Hours

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Kay in Louisville, Colorado

88 months ago

Any career that you want to succeed in requires long hours, and not just when you're starting out. And yes, it can be grueling because the toughest part of the job is getting the evidence requested in on time. Often times you're working really long days towards the end of the audit because you don't get your evidence until the 11th hour. Auditors also have to travel alot too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Santa Ana, California

88 months ago

Kay in Louisville, Colorado said: Any career that you want to succeed in requires long hours, and not just when you're starting out. And yes, it can be grueling because the toughest part of the job is getting the evidence requested in on time. Often times you're working really long days towards the end of the audit because you don't get your evidence until the 11th hour. Auditors also have to travel alot too.

Thanks for that reply. You and this site are helping people like me decide on a career. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Louisville, Colorado

88 months ago

Kevin in Santa Ana, California said: Thanks for that reply. You and this site are helping people like me decide on a career. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.

The good part about being an auditor though is that you are constantly learning. Every audit provides new situations and challenges. Legislation and regulations change too, so it seldom gets to be a boring situation. Also, certifications do actually mean something in this career field so if you do pursue you CIA, CISA or other certification is does payoff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Louisville, Colorado

85 months ago

check on the web or on the CIA website

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Washington, District of Columbia

82 months ago

Kay in Louisville, Colorado said: The good part about being an auditor though is that you are constantly learning. Every audit provides new situations and challenges. Legislation and regulations change too, so it seldom gets to be a boring situation. Also, certifications do actually mean something in this career field so if you do pursue you CIA, CISA or other certification is does payoff.

Hello ~ I've been looking online for some good study material and the most thorough appears to be from IIA, which is expensive. Any other suggestions?

Thanks much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Briqn Koon, CPA in Crossville, Tennessee

81 months ago

Kevin in Santa Ana, California said: I'm in college majoring in Accounting. I just wanted to know from someone who's in the field. Does being an Auditor require long hard hours when starting out? Thanks any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Kevin:

Are you attending one of the State University campuses? I graduated from Ca. State Northridge in 1969 and probably had some of the same questions in mind regarding employment as an auditor. I hope the following will help you in considering auditing as a profession.

Upon graduation from CSUN in 1969, I accepted a position (GS-7)with the Federal Department of Health, Education and Welfare Audit Agency (now known as the Department of Health and Human Services - Office of Inspector General - Office of Audit). My initial assignment was with the Los Angeles branch where I developed expertise in performeing audits of Federal grants and contracts awarded nonprofit entities and colleges and universities. While employeed in the L.A. branch, I studied for and passed the CPA exam (all costs were paid by the Federal government). In 1979 I accepted a position with the HHS Office of Audit in Atlanta, Ga. In 2002, my wife and I retired and moved to Crossville, TN.

Regarding Your expressed concerns regarding long hard work hours, I offer the following:

1. I very seldum worked any overtime, and when I did, I sometimes received compensation.

2. Auditing can be difficult - not only when initially employeed - but throughout your career. However, I found the satisfaction I received (internally as well as from my peers and supervisors) from completing an audit provided enough encentive for me to look forward to difficult assignments (i.e. audits to determine whether recipients of Federal contracts or grants intentionally used the funds for unauthorzed purposes - fraud).

I hope this input assits you in making the right decision for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Accounting Acquisition Agent in Gahanna, Ohio

80 months ago

yes and no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

in public accounting it's about billings, and the sense of getting it down correctly. By nature the work is tedious and those that perform it kinda have that uncertainty about themselves. Surprisingly, that is how it has always been,,,,even the most certain of certain people is a little saken when a nay-sayer has compliant about his work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Perla B in El Monte, California

52 months ago

I am going into college next year and i am planning to major in accounting so that I can become an auditor. I was wondering if i can get any information such as how many hours a day I am going to be wondering and what my salary will be. I will be really thankful if i can receive any information from someone that is in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sambarke in Long Beach, California

49 months ago

Kevin in Santa Ana, California said: I'm in college majoring in Accounting. I just wanted to know from someone who's in the field. Does being an Auditor require long hard hours when starting out? Thanks any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Hi im only 12 years old but was wandering if you have to be a math wise to be a auditor?

Thank you sooooo much,
Sam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

It's not worth it, auditing just gets you enemies...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kldouglas in Parker, Colorado

47 months ago

Ronnie - I have found just the opposite; people appreciate the feedback that I give concerning issues, and they solicit my advise and opinions. Perhaps its the way you deliver your findings?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jaimaste in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

I work for a big 4 accounting firm and I will let you know that if you are afraid of working long hours this job probably isnt for you. It does all depend on the size of firm you work for, your client base, and your deadlines but generally the nature of our job requires a lot of processing of information and review of work at many levels which takes a lot of time. Right now I am in busy season and I say I get into work at about 8:30 and stay until about 9 or 9:30 but that is leaving early compared to a lot of co-workers. You will typically be your busiest Jan-March but it depends if you clients are public or private and also depends on the fiscal year end of your clients which is really the busiest time.

There are many rewarding things about this career but it is definately hard work, frustrating, exhausting etc. But at the same time that all comes with an extensive amount of growth and increased knowledge. There is a steep learning curve in this profession but once you start to get the hang of it , it feels pretty good. But there is ALWAYS more to learn and plenty of ways to develop. So if you are lookig for a job with growth opportunity this job will most definately provide you with that. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brett701 in Saint Charles, Missouri

43 months ago

jaimaste in Los Angeles, California said: I work for a big 4 accounting firm and I will let you know that if you are afraid of working long hours this job probably isnt for you. It does all depend on the size of firm you work for, your client base, and your deadlines but generally the nature of our job requires a lot of processing of information and review of work at many levels which takes a lot of time. Right now I am in busy season and I say I get into work at about 8:30 and stay until about 9 or 9:30 but that is leaving early compared to a lot of co-workers. You will typically be your busiest Jan-March but it depends if you clients are public or private and also depends on the fiscal year end of your clients which is really the busiest time.

There are many rewarding things about this career but it is definately hard work, frustrating, exhausting etc. But at the same time that all comes with an extensive amount of growth and increased knowledge. There is a steep learning curve in this profession but once you start to get the hang of it , it feels pretty good. But there is ALWAYS more to learn and plenty of ways to develop. So if you are lookig for a job with growth opportunity this job will most definately provide you with that. Good Luck!!

I recently graduated from college with a bachelors in business management information systems. So i went to monster.com and i did a search for "IT" because i was looking for information technology. IT came up with IT Auditor and im very curious to see where this will take me. How do you recomend i become an auditor? Can i get hired a by a company when i have no experience and they pay to train me? or possibly i get a job somewhere and then possibly they pay to train me and move up. I just dont know really how to go about this. All of the jobs on the net are asking for 2 years of experience auditing so
i dont know how i can get 2 years experience with no options out there. Thank.s.

Kay in Parker, Colorado

43 months ago

It Auditing is not an entry level position by any means. You either need several years of financial or operational auditing or several years of IT experience.

With the economy the way it is many companies will not pay for training or for the CPEs if you get certified.

I'd look for an entry level IT position and go from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Kay in Parker, Colorado said: It Auditing is not an entry level position by any means. You either need several years of financial or operational auditing or several years of IT experience.

With the economy the way it is many companies will not pay for training or for the CPEs if you get certified.

I'd look for an entry level IT position and go from there.

ok thanks a lot!

43 months ago

what type of entry level IT job do you think i should be looking for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eddie in Houston, Texas

42 months ago

It sucks. Now I feel like I am stuck and wasting the best years of my life (my 20's) and I have gotten a CIA and no raises in 3+ years. Don't do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Auditor in Broadview, Illinois

38 months ago

Honestly it depends on the type of auditor you want to be. Big 4 auditors mostly require a CPA and have long hours as mentioned above. These auditors mostly perform financial audits. However, if you want to be an operational auditor, the hours are normal. You are focusing on processes and procedures and how to improve them. You audit via examination of documents and conversations with the staff. You compare actual procedures to written and make any recommendations. Everyone does not hate you if you go in with the right attitude. You are not there to get anyone fired, you want to help them do their job better.

IT Auditors audit via programs or tests run on the computer that 'mine' the data into a format that can be reviewed.

To be an auditor, you need to be analytical, organized and personable. Definitely helps to have a CPA and/or CIA.

Raises are normal also. Not many people have received raises in three years. This has more to do with the economy than auditing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.