Feelin alittle lost...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

K in Chandler, Arizona

58 months ago

All I've wanted to do is draw house plans since I was 4 years old. Started working in drafting company when I was still in High School, and work in the field for almost 8 years. Reached the point in my career where I was drawing everything for home builders from plats to finish house plans. Took a job with a new company last year when my then current employer was saying they were shutting down the whole department. Two months after starting with that new company, they went under and I found myself unemployed. Thought I'd be able to find a job quick with no problem since I'm such a hard work and up until that point never worked anywhere less than two years before.

Saddly with the way the current housing and job market it I haven't been able to find a cad drafting job anywhere on the west coast. I would love to be drafting again but am starting to wonder if I should start thinking about switching careers even thou the thought of that kills me to give up something I'm so passionate about. Anyone have any thoughts on possible careers I could switch to or job leads? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Spectrum in Saint Clair, Missouri

53 months ago

Sorry to hear about the job loss. I'm in the same boat along with many others out there. So, you are far from being alone. The problem is that the work is gone everywhere in the Arch/Eng/Construction business, and doesn't seem to be recovering.

The sad part about my comment in progress is this - I don't really have an answer for you, only weak brainstorming ideas. However, you may have the strength to run with them. Who knows?

Ideas:
1. Get a crappy job outside your field, maybe a department
store, and use the down time to getting your degree in
Architecture for when or if the economy recovers. This
idea certainly will not pay off right now, but Arch. is
one of the disciplines where drafting gets done at all
levels of the company. It will allow you to get a
possible higher paycheck and still draw.

2. Do some networking. Draw house plans on the side. It is
very unlikely that you would be able to support yourself
doing so. However, it will give you an opportunity to
continue to do what you love.

3. Identify what part of Architectural drafting that you
love. Do you love the process of drafting(drawing lines,
circles, etc.)? Maybe art is a better path. Do you
love the building that you helped conceive through your
drawing or model? You could take job being a tour guide
for historic buildings, or even a job in construction.
Or if your a nuts and bolts guy and like math, you could
become a project estimator (probably requires additional
schooling).

4. Last but not least - there may be something that you may
be equally passionate about, and that you have forgotten
about. Only you know what that is.

Best of luck to you, and all of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Newark, New Jersey

51 months ago

i have a question im going to get my cert in autocad would it be smart to get my cert to get my foot in the door then finish my degree in engineering to make more money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sulamita in San Diego, California

50 months ago

Forget about Autocad, Revit is the future, and Solidwork is everywhere I look... so frustating. I am Autocad Drafter, and I seem not find a job, not even for free. Revit is where everybody is leaning to. So if you like to be a drafter, it doesn't need to be just Autocad, all of them will be good to know, because they are asking you to know a lot of them, and some of them even wants you to know Microstation, that I personally hate.

Spectrum in Washington, Missouri

50 months ago

Sulamita in San Diego, California said: Forget about Autocad, Revit is the future, and Solidwork is everywhere I look... so frustating.

Your better off forgetting all of them, even though this is hard to do if you like to draw. Even Revit and Solidworks will eventually morph into something else. Even AutoCAD is continually changing. It is how these graphic software companys stay in business, by selling the idea to Arch/Eng firms that new is "always" better. Sometimes "new" is better, but this often comes after many fail attempts at a good design software. AutoCAD is probably the best example of this, with all of its remnants of abandoned commands and system variables still programmed into the software. If you wish to remain a "fill in the blank" Drafter, you will have to accept the fact that HR departments will dictate what software will get you the job these days.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.