Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing autocad drafter work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Devils_i in Calgary, Alberta

70 months ago

Part of my field in architecture, you got to know how to draw and a bit of technology ingredients to be abreast with the people in the field...reading and training....that improves your skill and exploration with the other softwares to learn and adopt techniques to improve skills.....educational background/, graphical thinking..in 2D, 3D and 4D would be required but not necessary...that factors define which drafter is better than the other one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

flubjub in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

You will be lost. You can stamp AUTODESK SLAVE on your forehead.
FORGET about CADD. ARCHTIECTURE IS DEAD. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lrich82 in Old Hickory, Tennessee

58 months ago

flubjub in Austin, Texas said: You will be lost. You can stamp AUTODESK SLAVE on your forehead.
FORGET about CADD. ARCHTIECTURE IS DEAD. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.

I've guess you've had a bad experience. I noticed you always post negative information on this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ihateflubjub in Eugene, Oregon

52 months ago

U SUCK FLUBJUB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vaspain in Irvine, California

46 months ago

He's just saying what is happening, architectural has been good with me personally for a good and awsome 15+ but after 2year of unemployment, yes it is dead out there. I was a jr.project manager at the 3rd biggest firm in Socal. My wife gratutated with her associated degree in 2008 and still hasen't got a job. Just a huge student loan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

SuRi in San Diego, California

46 months ago

vaspain in Irvine, California said: He's just saying what is happening, architectural has been good with me personally for a good and awsome 15+ but after 2year of unemployment, yes it is dead out there. I was a jr.project manager at the 3rd biggest firm in Socal. My wife gratutated with her associated degree in 2008 and still hasen't got a job. Just a huge student loan.

I agree with the comments. I have a degree in Architecture, I have work for an Architectural firm for two years until 2010.0 0% Knows Autocad, Photoshop, 3D Max, and I am always learning. I am enroll in the IDP and almost completed 80% of my hours. But the lack of Architectural Drafter jobs, or intern jobs is just so bad. I have been in Virginia, Arizona and finally San Diego thanks that my husband has been able to transfer to be close to family just in case this get worse. And I am totally sad, can't find any job in my field. And the few times I have been in an Interview, once to be honest, the salary they offer that I am willing to take anyway are just so unfair.. 10 dollar. I just to bad, I know that some are doing good, that is great. But you can't ignored that there is not job right now for us. I have seen four of my others drafter co-workers unemployed been layoff one by one. I hope this get better, cause the only job that has open to me right now is with Chipotle..crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

vaspain in Irvine, California

46 months ago

What I have notice is the reality is the term "Not what you know but who you know", that is the sad reality today. Some pepole get a job because of a insider opening the door, and not for there qualification, then there is greedy corp, and small company that will make do a drafter, job captain and project manager job all for one price. And sometime the fee is insulting, and they know this! That the saddest part of it! I'm actually going to back to school for networking, that a strong field right and growing. Also look into medical field, that another booming market. Sometime I search on craiglist to see if there something out there, I saw one that made me laught of discuss, they wanted someone that was REVIT reday have there own license and laptop and the discrition was to do everytyhing, they only needed to add "Build the Building itself" all for $14.00 a hour!!!!!!!!!!! I Was shell shocked! Do these pepole know that were legal american?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.