Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

What are typical autocad drafter salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

kip kuhlman in Vancouver, WA

99 months ago

Tarrs said:
were is work in mid-level finish carpentry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Emma in Stamford, CT

99 months ago

Here's a link that will bring you to the results page for Finish Carpenter: www.indeed.com/jobs?q=finish+carpenter&l=&radius=

Once you're on the page, look at the refinement margin located on the left-hand side. You'll notice one of the refinement options is "Location". Looks like the following cities have the most amount of matching job listings results:
Seattle, WA (43)
Salt Lake City, UT (22)
Allanton, FL (22)
Portland, OR (20)
Centennial, CO (20)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Will in Jarrell, Texas

95 months ago

Host said: What are typical autocad drafter salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?
What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

I'm new here. I wanted to get some opinions about salaries. I have about 12 yrs of architectural drafting experience in the (high end) custum limestone industry. In the 12 yrs I have worked here I’ve had the opportunity of acquiring plenty of additional experience as the "Computer Guy". Meaning I’ve basically served as the company's Systems administrator for the last 12 years as well. My problem is that I have never really been able to put a good finger on what would be a fair salary. I am hired as a drafter but I also serve as the system's administrator as well. The problem is that when I am doing one thing, I'm getting behind in the other and vice versa. Stress can get high at times and the boss gets a little angry and I think he does not see some times the need for the computer support that goes on. What do you think a fair salary would be? Any suggestions on the situation? I'm currently getting between

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri

77 months ago

Will in Jarrell, Texas said: I'm new here. I wanted to get some opinions about salaries. I have about 12 yrs of architectural drafting experience in the (high end) custum limestone industry.
try multiple resources...

salary.com
indeed.com/salary
www.augi.com/surveys/default.asp?page=1016 (look for new survey results over the next month or two here, but, you can currently access past years)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

flubjub in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

cad drafter salary at career builder.
also, BLS.

a book . Secrets of Salary Negotiation.

Fire your boss. Move to India.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ubar in Rockville Centre, New York

66 months ago

get out of it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

debujando i am THATS ME in Northridge, California

61 months ago

I AM READING ABOUT ONE OF THESE FOOLS GIVING AWAY WHAT SHOULD BE PAID ROYAL FOR .

GIVING AWAY WHAT EVERY ONE IS WORKING HARD FOR RUINES IT FOR ALL..

JUMP UNDER THE BUS TIRES AND GET IT OVER WITH..

WORSE THAN JOB STEALER GIVING IT AWAY FREE..

AND THERE SCHOOLS PUMPING OUT NEW A-C EMPLOYEES EVERY DAY!!!!.

MANAGEMENT IS IN CONTROL AND THE CAD OPERATOR IS JUST A SIMPLE TOOL TO BE USED UP AND DISPOSED WITH WHEN DONE ..

AS LONG AS EVERY CAD OPERATOR THINKS HE CAN OUT PREFORM THE OTHERS TO KEEP THERE JOB COMPANIES WILL USE THIS TO ABUSE THE WORKERS...HOW MANY YEARS CAN YOU KEEP UP THE PACE AT LOW WAGES AND THEN BURN OUT WITH OUT GOOD RETIREMENT AND PAY..

DEC 5 2009

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Upenn02' in Swedesboro, New Jersey

61 months ago

Perhaps those still dwelling in the strictly "cad" profession should reevaluate their career goals (if they're not satisfied) and move beyond simple "cad" work. In hard core engineering environments the cad operator will always be the lowliest being on the totem pole. This was my experience, years ago. Today I would assume most entry level engineers are well versed in all the popular cad software packages; ultimately marginalizing cad operators (someone without the benefit of a formal four year bachelor of science education) to the nth degree. Even the term "operator" projects the image of someone strictly trained to press the red button when the green light comes on; but not knowing what the green light really means when it does activate. Just my 2 cents and prior experience.

Killbucket in Citrus Heights, California

61 months ago

Take your passion, make it a biz. Draw your favorite devices, and sell the patterns:
www.air-sharp.com

61 months ago

What is a "Hingins" or for that matter, a "Pakey"??
I guess the bottom line is that if the environment you are in is near unbearable, and the pay level is low, it is time to move on or start your own business.

debujando i am THATS ME in Tacoma, Washington

61 months ago

I DO HAVE TWO FULL TIME JOBS .

I DO TAXES AND BOOK KEEPING WITH QUICKBOOKS AND PEACH TREE..

I DO GRAPHIC DESIGN WITH ILLUSTRATOR AND PHOTO SHOP..

HOW BIG DOES SMALL HAVE TO BE TO CRUSH THE FLOTSUM AND JUTSUM AND FLUSH THEM AWAY.

I AM CONSIDERING DESIGNING WEB PAGES

THE MARKETT FORCES ARE RIGGED AGAINST ME AND EVERY ONE ELSE .. BIG BUSINESS DOES THIS ALL THE TIME AND MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE SAD REALITIES..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Perhaps you should consider going back to school to further your education - THAN open your own business. That would be the ultimate revenge - no?

harry in Reading, United Kingdom

59 months ago

India is 25c an hour and emailed back by late afternoon.
welcome to 2010

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ian Bivens in Citrus Heights, California

59 months ago

...and back for rev,s and back for corrections, and back for translation...this will pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Thor in Spring, Texas

59 months ago

Yeah but don't do anything that incudes spelling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

someone in Lawndale, California

58 months ago

I am a student at ITT Tech in Culver City. I am nearly finished with my AA in CDD. The best thing about this school, for me that is, are the instructors. I've had civil engineers and architects, all of which are brilliant. The civil engineer works for LAX and he just go me an interview with HNTB for an engineering intern position. It pays $16 per hour and I will essentially be doing AutoCad work. I haven't got the job yet but I am confident. The job market for drafters is picking up. Go get your LEED Green Associate if you want to stand out during an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cajineer STANKS in Seattle, Washington

58 months ago

only problem with that is you need to have worked on a LEED project to qualify for the LEED exams. If you have then go for it!

somone in Lawndale, California

58 months ago

cajineer STANKS in Seattle, Washington said: only problem with that is you need to have worked on a LEED project to qualify for the LEED exams. If you have then go for it!

Actually if you read carefully, having completed a class geared toward sustainable design, you qualify to take the LEED Green Associate exam. You have to present your Transcript or get a written letter from the instructor that taught the class. Oh yeah, I got the Internship at HNTB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cajineer STANKS in Seattle, Washington

57 months ago

touche sir, ill have to look into that I'd love to get LEED certified.

JOHN in Austin, Texas

53 months ago

I beleive that an engineers may be able to run cad but they don't have a clue what steel detailing is all about.

Upenn02' in Swedesboro, New Jersey said: Perhaps those still dwelling in the strictly " cad " profession should reevaluate their career goals (if they're not satisfied) and move beyond simple "cad" work. In hard core engineering environments the cad operator will always be the lowliest being on the totem pole. This was my experience, years ago. Today I would assume most entry level engineers are well versed in all the popular cad software packages; ultimately marginalizing cad operators (someone without the benefit of a formal four year bachelor of science education ) to the nth degree. Even the term "operator" projects the image of someone strictly trained to press the red button when the green light comes on; but not knowing what the green light really means when it does activate. Just my 2 cents and prior experience.

Spectrum in Washington, Missouri

53 months ago

JOHN in Austin, Texas said: I beleive that an engineers may be able to run cad but they don't have a clue what steel detailing is all about.

I'll have to agree with John's detailing comment. Drafting is a practice, and is only something that you can do with ease if you do it on a regular basis. I've even worked with former draftsman turned engineer, and witnessed some of their current drawings, and I got to tell you that the quality just wasn't there. Engineering drawings will most likely suffer in quality because many firms are relying on engineers to create them now. However, I say so be it because I also tend to agree with Upenn02'. The CAD 'Operator' position in the engineering field is the lowliest of the low these days, and the pay is far from keeping up with inflation, unless you get a contract job with no benefits. And because of the economy, the contract jobs are the norm. If you want to make money and earn respect in your field, drafting is definitely not for you.

Killbucket in Citrus Heights, California

53 months ago

Start your own design thing. I've been my own boss since March 2007 at:
www.air-sharp.com!

Blah in Billings, Montana

44 months ago

I have an AAS in Drafting and Design. Got a job at 12/hr with insurance paid and thought I was sitting pretty good at the time. I am working with BIM now and making 13 an hour now. I now feel like I am still about the lowest paid CADD Tech in town seeing as other companies start entry level CADD users out at around $15/hr with benefits. I like what I do, but am thinking more and more about that ever important Engineering or Architecture degree. We have a couple engineers that stick up for us. They even take us on site visits every once in a while so we can actually see what we are drawing. But then they get in trouble because that is not what we are paid for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Krystal in Glendale, Arizona

39 months ago

It looks to me that cad techs get around 40k a year, that doesn't sound that terrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Btd93 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

29 months ago

I am 19 and just graduated high school last year. I got a design technician job at an engineering firm that is growing at an insane rate. I started at $25,000 a year with full benefits. Within the first three months I received a $5,000 raise and an extra $1,000 bonus. Now at 7 months with the company, the head P.E. And CEO offered to pay my way through engineering school and still be paid my salary along with my own office. In my 7 months with this job I have seen several techs come out of college and then fail in their attempts to make drafting their career. The associates degree in drafting and design means nothing. I push hard and work just as hard. That means perfection in your work and drive to always set the bar higher. In my eyes if your a tech not making enough money to be happy, you are not using your ability and intelligence anywhere near it's full potential. The money is in the details. You can make it as a CAD Drafter!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.