Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable automotive mechanic? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective automotive mechanic?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

crackie

77 months ago

Im wondering the same the same thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ivan in Sumter, South Carolina

75 months ago

The best training that you would be able to obtain to become a hire able automotive technician would be to attend a tech school. Take going to school seriously from day one. Do not miss any classes, do all of your assignments and homework to obtain A's, listen carefully to your instructors, and do everything with passing the ASE tests in mind. Find out what it takes to get ASE certification. Work on everything that you can get your hands on for experience, including your own vehicle(s), but employ the latest techniques in automotive technology to each job, and aspect of the job. You will become competent and effective within two years, and hire able around the time that you will graduate from a two year program in Automotive Technology. Hopefully, your program will offer an Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, not just a diploma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ernie in Bloomingdale, Illinois

68 months ago

After 28 years at a dealer ,all the money spent on tools,and now a loss of income,my advice is find another career path,there are easier ways to make a living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UTIgrad in Sacramento, California

68 months ago

Listen to Erine in Bloomingdale. I am a recent grad from UTI in Sacramento, CA. I've held a decent grade while attending the tech school and worked part time at Folsom Dodge Dealership. After I graduated and spent thousands of dollars for my training the Dealership closed down and I am jobless for the last 7 months. I had offers from other automotive shop but 13 dollars a hour will not pay my bills. My advice choose another career path. Right now is not the time to waste your time in this career. It will prehaps be a great hobby.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

evilss in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

YA BE A DOCTOR, AND BUILD HOTRODS OUT OF YOUR GARAGE AT HOME ON THE WEEKENDS....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mechanic72 in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

I went to UTI in Glendale Heights IL Was working for Cummins Than Got Laid off. Have not worked for 4 months. Seems like no one wants to hire. I don't know what to do cause all I know is repairing cars and trucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.