Starting out Entry level Mechanic

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

youngspng in Modesto, California

35 months ago

I just graduated from auto mechanic shool and is finding out that most shops want 5 or more yrs of experience. Where is the best place that I can get started? Able and willing to start anywhere to get sum experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Mentor, Ohio

35 months ago

Do yourself a favor and go back to school for something else.I have been in this field since the mid 70's and have never seen it worse. Pay is terrible and so are working conditions. If you hear the words "flat rate" run as fast as you can. There are no other professions that pay this way.If you must be a tech, make sure your pay is hourly. at least you will go home knowing that you will get paid. As far as experience goes, you will have to start at $8-10 an hour at a tire chain store and work your way up from there. Reality sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Hanford, California

35 months ago

Get out while your still young,get an education in another area,keep the skills you have now to restore old cars if it makes you happy. You will NOT be able to make a living. GM master tech 25 years,like Dan said, Ive never seen it worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

klagmire in Fenton, Michigan

23 months ago

MY suggestion is , get in a dealership as as lube tech, you can go from there, learning is at your discresion,. some have a training program for lubes. I went from lube to master in 5 years. its all you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Osahon in London, United Kingdom

1 month ago

youngspng in Modesto, California said: I just graduated from auto mechanic shool and is finding out that most shops want 5 or more yrs of experience. Where is the best place that I can get started? Able and willing to start anywhere to get sum experience.

Ha you are in USA... its the reverse here in the UK... tradesmen are in high demand.. finding it difficult to fill vacancies... Tyre world is actually looking for a young graduate like you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.