Diesel mechanic training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Britta in Spokane, Washington

63 months ago

my husband is diesel cert. and we have recently had 2 Ford dealerships in the area go under.... but then his friend opened up a little shop and it's been doing really well... for now anyway...good luck to us... theres still a few job openings out here for mechanics. He's hourly now tho and he used to be Flat Rate and it was great for summer but not for winter. the winter's here are terrible for business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Mission Viejo, California

63 months ago

There is good demand here in southern California. Getting ASE certified is all the training You need out here, plus be able to do brakes, engine work etc. So many mechanic's only know how to change oil and grease trucks. If You learn how to rebuild diesel engines You can get hired anywhere. In the company I work for, b mechanics get 23.62 an hour and A mechanics get 27.55 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jsoutar

60 months ago

My son took the course at UTI in Phoenix a few years back. He has worked as a diesel tech for 5 years and got laid off. There is nothing out there in the Inland Empire. He has put in a minimum of 20 applications and has an excellent background. Good luck finding something in Calif. What use to be is no longer!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hi-there in Sebring, Florida

60 months ago

I just saw a posting for diesel mechanics for Cirque deSolei. They need people for the generators used in the shows. I would think outside the box with your skills - it aint all about trucks. What about companies like United Rentals and Catapiller that utilize disel generators?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Mission Viejo, California

60 months ago

jsoutar- the Inland Empire is the foreclosure center of America!Have Your son look for work in Orange County or LA and get into a union company. Right now Yellow freight is hiring in orange, have Your son apply there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Hemet California in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

I am currently working as a diesel mechanic full time but the pay doesnt add up for the hours of work even though the company put me on salary. At 1338 every two weeks I feel a little ripped off. I am looking for a new job as a diesel mechanic anywhere in riverside county if anyone knows of any openings please reply. I am fluent in c13,c15, 3406a,b,c and 3406e all eaton fuller trans including the super ten , eaton 9 road master, and the 18. i've done many in frame tear downs and many drive train repairs including replacing the ds402,404 rear diffs and full restorations on older peterbuilt 377 long haul trucks. I also repair hydraulics and electrical faults, sensor failures in heavy equipment. just listing some of the many things i can easily handle, there just does'nt seem to be any reputable companies hiring in my area can anyone help I'm 29 and have 5 years on the job experience and 2 years school training and looking to learn how to perfect my trade in a better company my family depends on me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.