serve times

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Best Western Babe in Casper, Wyoming

85 months ago

Hi all...anyone have a clue as to how long is should take 7 servers to serve a plated meal for 200 people???

Let me know...is an hour and 15 minutes too long???

smiles

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny Laughlin in Barto, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

An hour and 15 minutes is absolutely too long. Even with 7 servers.
In a typical setting (lets just say a wedding) you will have tables of 10, so the total number of tables would be 20. 5 servers should be on the floor (4 tables per server) and the other 2 should be your runners. It should take you less than 30 min to put out the dinners in the above senario.
I like to work with larger number of servers (2-3 tables each) and I use 2 runners up to 150 guests and 3 runners above that.
I've been working on a theory that a plated dinner should go out in 10% of the number of guests. For example, if the party has 190 guests, the dinners should go out in 19 minutes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Best Western Babe in Bosler, Wyoming

85 months ago

Hey everyone...thank you sooo much for your responses...I've been in the hotel/catering/sales/operation business for 15 years!...

A guest let meknow that my servers took an hour and a half, but actully it was almost 30 minutes for about 200 people...seating was tight which I believe contributed to the circumstance with 7 servest..we have rounds of 8..no carts..trays with 6 plates on each..

Part of our concern was lack of help in the kitchen plating up...and the plates were 3 different entrees...some banquests had 2 entrees....is it unusual to have more than one entree for a larger banquet...

One other question for everyone...for hors d'oeuves buffet for say 300 people how many pieces per person do you recommend??..I usually go with 20..for a function, especially a wedding close to dinner time....advice???...

Is anyone having trouble getting help in the respective departments of your property???...we think it might be the pay...

Heck, I'm a DOS and don't even make $30K...no perks, especially being on a salary...does anyone get a percentage cut of actual group rooms????...grrrr....something wrong with this pic???.. ;) I think so.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Best Western Babe in Bosler, Wyoming

85 months ago

harold birnbaum in New York, New York said: i like your name but don't understand your question. An answer would require more info concerning the layout of the room i.e. the spacing between tables? are you serving on carts? or just 2 plates per server? etc

Hi Harold....thankx for the note....the space is about 2300 sq feet...round tables of 8..for about 200...I sent a response and made it general to everyone who responded....what flag are you with???...thankx again.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

desmond brown in Covington, Kentucky

82 months ago

Best Western Babe in Casper, Wyoming said: Hi all...anyone have a clue as to how long is should take 7 servers to serve a plated meal for 200 people???

smiles

way too long, matter of fact 15mins for five people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

chiqui in Davenport, Florida

80 months ago

Best Western Babe in Casper, Wyoming said: Hi all...anyone have a clue as to how long is should take 7 servers to serve a plated meal for 200 people???

smiles

15 to 20 min, no more to give a great service

ambela in Winter Springs, Florida

79 months ago

I can serve up too 100 people per line per hour with two servers and one runner, provided there is a seperate drink station (add one more server). If drinks included on line, add one extra person per line.

smiles

Hotel Manager in Orlando, Florida

76 months ago

ambela in Winter Springs, Florida said: I can serve up too 100 people per line per hour with two servers and one runner, provided there is a seperate drink station (add one more server). If drinks included on line, add one extra person per line.

How much you Make hour?

californiagirlis in Douglas, Wyoming

75 months ago

Hey Steve..love the blog..and hey, who doesn't want to RANT in this business??..do you have lazy workforce issues, people who say they want to work, might show up, and expect to be a clipboard manager, lazy Sales and Catering co-ordinator????..thats what I'm dealing with, the department heads have chipped in, but we are all on a salary and 14-16 hour days are not a good thing..we're getting burnt out...I work for a smaller hotel, 117 rooms, full service hotel..5000 sq ft meeting facility, restaurant and saloon...I see you are in New Jersey...are you a brand hotel??..

Will be back to 'vent/rant' no doubt! hahaah!

patty

Bomax in Cocoa, Florida

58 months ago

I am not sure what kind of service some of you put out and I hope I never have to serve for.

1 server per 20 for plated.

15 minutes LOLOL It takes an average guest 15 minutes just to eat their salad. If the doors open at
6:00 and the guests arrive at that time it will Take 15 minutes to greet , seat and lap their napkins.
6:15 B&Butter
6:20 line up for Salad and Dressing
6:35 Salad plates up , Sig to get Entrees
6:45 Entrees down and servicing drinks.
7:00 entrees up sig to leave and get coffee set up.
7:05 coffee poured , meet in back to line up with deserts.
7:15 deserts down, make a cut.

this was a rough outline of rushed good service. It could be done quicker if you have low standards and leave plates on the table while dropping deserts as well leave salt and peppers down, leaving empty glasses and so on.

15 minutes as stated was simply a joke. It would take more than 15 minutes to pre-set the tables with no one around. LOLOL 15 minutes to serve a plated ... where, Denny's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bills/memphis in Memphis, Tennessee

23 months ago

For a volunteer function using 28 people to plate and serve 200.
The secret is coordinating the work flow and rotation.

With two long tables for plating with three people on each side (12 platers) you can have 4 plates coming off the end of the lines every 7 seconds. So every 15 seconds four servers are taking eight plates out of the kitchen to a table.

Every minute 4 tables of food is going out the door.

Depending on hall layout it averages about a minute to walk out, set plates and return. With four teams of four servers there should always be food for servers to pick up. Once the rotation starts its like a ball rolling down hill. The only hiccup is keeping new food supplied to the platers.

Should be able to serve 25 tables of 8 in about 6 minutes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian Francis Fenlon in Palm Harbor, Florida

22 months ago

smiles

Your question does require further details. off the top of my head yes that would be too long. but it depends on so many factors. just simply hard to throw out a definitive answer without more details. Brian Francis Fenlon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carmen Ley in Australia

9 months ago

smiles

yes

dbrown72 in Salt Lake City, Utah

4 months ago

I have served 200+ people with superior service in less time than that with the salad course 1st and entree. With only 1 entree we did in less than 30 minutes. However, there are a lot of factors to consider so it is difficult to give a difinitive answer.

I have a question as well. . . . does any one have a list of standard set up times? meaning how long it should take my set up team to set up each room based on style and number of attendees? I am having issues with my team in saying I don't give them enough time to set up and I feel I am giving them ample time. I used to have to flip a 3 level ski lodge after closing to be wedding ready in 1.5 hours but they complain about 3 hours to set 4 small to medium rooms. help!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.