Banquet serving tips

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

missd in Chandler, Arizona

63 months ago

I only have experience serving in a restaraunt setting and am trying to break into banquet serving. I was never told to serve from the left and clear from the right. Can you tell me these types of things that I will need to know to become a banquet server. ex. women first, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Pomona, California

62 months ago

missd in Chandler, Arizona said: I only have experience serving in a restaraunt setting and am trying to break into banquet serving. I was never told to serve from the left and clear from the right. Can you tell me these types of things that I will need to know to become a banquet server. ex. women first, etc.

Pick up glass when refilling cup. When clearing 1st course plate and they use the knife, replace it with a new one. Most of i need to sit down and think. been a banquet server for 3 years now and its second nature to me. Dirty plates use your right hand serving plates use left hand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Pomona, California

62 months ago

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jackie Davies in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

There is nothing you need to know. Go into the interview with your service experience and everything the property, catering company, or staffing company wants you to know you will learn on the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bomax in Cocoa, Florida

58 months ago

Jackie Davies in Chicago, Illinois said: There is nothing you need to know. Go into the interview with your service experience and everything the property, catering company, or staffing company wants you to know you will learn on the job.

I agree. Your service standards may be different for each location. Having serving experience before interviewing is going to help. Being punctual to the interview, well dressed , happy and having the ability to communicate will get you passed most of the idiots that show up in untucked shirts and jeans with years of experience but of when and where to dress correctly (this is easily reflected as...they have no common sense or class)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Tipster in Atlanta, Georgia

58 months ago

Hey everyone!!!

I am an author and I am writing a new book on how to make more money in tips as a server or bartender in a recession. Now I have been in food service for over 9 years but I want to know about some of the things that you may do to make more money in tips or something you may have seen someone else do that got them a higher tip.

Any information you can give me on this topic would be greatly appriciated! Thank you!

Cheers

makemoretips.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Herman in San Francisco, California

40 months ago

missd in Chandler, Arizona said: I only have experience serving in a restaraunt setting and am trying to break into banquet serving. I was never told to serve from the left and clear from the right. Can you tell me these types of things that I will need to know to become a banquet server. ex. women first, etc.

It a simple process of basic restaurant serving skills. There more people to a table, table setting according to the menu, basic wine knowledge, beverage service, the techniques, standard of service and sequence of the service. It is as easy as setting a table at home. There a book by Emily Post "Etiquette." It has everything from writing a formal letter to wedding reception. There are table setting and illustration the see. It's very interesting. There as social clubs that hires inexperience persons. Many banquet server are hired with no knowledge of fine dining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.