Who's better, restaurant waiters or banquet waiters?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

banquet manager thatsme in Succasunna, New Jersey

77 months ago

Restaurant waiters think they are the only "true" waiters. Banquet servers think they're better because they can handle more covers. Who's better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in Mission Viejo, California

66 months ago

..Sorry, I didn't mean to split it up, but it wouldn't let me post because supposedly I was being "vulgar, and attacking people."

Anyways, F&B, there are no worse employees. Once you have been around a few properties, managed massive staffs, etc...you will be onboard. And, the weird part is, the older they are the worse they are. The more they complain, the more they whine, the more they snitch, etc...That's my issue, no matter where I have worked, no matter how smoothly and perfectly my departments have run, no matter how much money we have made our servers (I have had properties where the average full time server was bringing home close to 100 K). No matter how many of those things I just said ring true, they whine, complain b*tch, etc...When everything is running perfect in your department is the time to worry. That's when it gets REALLY nasty. The servants have nothing that the hotel or bosses are doing to complain and go crazy about, so that's when they create drama. And, you haven't seen drama until you have seen Food and Beverage Drama.

My advice: if you want to work in a hotel go into the ROOMS division. If you want to work at a golf course go into GOLF.

But, if you insist on joining me on the dark side, bring a sense of humor, a quick wit, thick skin, and more patience than a mall santa--cuz you're gonna need it.

(CONTINUED).......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in Mission Viejo, California

66 months ago

The advantages of this department (if you're at a busy, big dollar, higher end place):

You can make GREAT money. I just turned 30, don't have a degree from a University (did go to CIA) and I am making over 125,000 a year.

You can go ANYWHERE in the world (certainly helps if you're at a 4 diamond or better).

You are ALWAYS getting job offers. I swear, I get 4 or 5 calls a week from recruiters, Hotel GM's, HR Directors, Management Companies, Clients, etc, etc...all offering me jobs, offering me opportunities. I get them from Los Angeles to Dubai. Six Continent, Six Figure offers several times a week.

You stay BUSY. There is always something to do.

You see results. Important, because there are a lot of jobs where you see nothing. In this business you set a goal, you work hard and you see the end result. a GREAT feeling.

You do have a lot of fun. In spite of having to deal with the 'tards that work for you, there is still a lot of fun to be had. A lot of quality people to meet and interact with.

Etc....Women, there are always a ton around. They work for you, they work in other departments, they are guests. No matter what they are-they are there. Power, you have a lot of it. With that comes a great deal of respect. To me that's not important, but it's there and important to some. Education. Dude, seriously, if you can run an F&B Division, successfully manage several hundred food employees, a dozen or so front of house supervisors/managers, executive chefs, head chefs, sous chefs, chef de cuisines, pastry chefs, etc, etc...you CAN MANAGE ANYONE.

That's it, Hollar at your boy!

Best Wishes,
The Crazy Food and Beverage Director

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

stephanie

65 months ago

Just wondering I've been in college for Occupational Therapy but I'm hearing it's not the best pay. I do tend to live by my heart but could anyone suggest maybe a better paying career for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bomax in Cocoa, Florida

60 months ago

The "DUDE" is pretty right on....except now and then some very very good nice servers float through and are eaten up or toughen up, they are the best. Taking orders at a table takes a completely different skill and somewhat better. Banquets is about surviving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carrie In Orlando

59 months ago

The Dude in Mission Viejo, California said: There's no comparison, restaurant waiters are real servers, where as banquet servers are nothing more than fancily dressed pizza delivery boys/girls.

The question is: who is smarter? If you're at the "right" facility, where you are getting a nice chunk of the gratuity pool and working BIG money events, you are making 25/50/heck, even 75 an hour as a banquet server. While the restaurant servers on the other side of the property are killing themselves to walk with 100-150 that night. Banquet Departments usually attract the jaded, nasty, grizzled ol' veterans that are good for nothing more than carrying trays and dropping off a few plates. I would NEVER trust them to take an order...woah, that'd be like asking a chimp to fly a plane.

Neither banquet or restaurant servers (in hotels) really impress me though. Outside of possibly Mandarin Orient, a couple Ritz properties, and The Montage and St. Regis properties. (continued)

Thank You.
As a Profesional Banquet Server,that has worked private club's in Beverly Hills,CA to Manhatten,NY.
I am that chimp that can handle a 10,000 person plated to serving Ray Charles his champagne.
Nice work if you can get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lilith in Sacramento, California

50 months ago

The Dude in Mission Viejo, California said: There's no comparison, restaurant waiters are real servers, where as banquet servers are nothing more than fancily dressed pizza delivery boys/girls.

The question is: who is smarter? If you're at the "right" facility, where you are getting a nice chunk of the gratuity pool and working BIG money events , you are making 25/50/heck, even 75 an hour as a banquet server. While the restaurant servers on the other side of the property are killing themselves to walk with 100-150 that night. Banquet Departments usually attract the jaded, nasty, grizzled ol' veterans that are good for nothing more than carrying trays and dropping off a few plates. I would NEVER trust them to take an order...woah, that'd be like asking a chimp to fly a plane.

Neither banquet or restaurant servers (in hotels ) really impress me though. Outside of possibly Mandarin Orient, a couple Ritz properties, and The Montage and St. Regis properties. (continued)


Well what the hell do you know about banquet serving. At my place of employment the banquet servers also take orders, its not rocket science. That might be to complicated for you, but for the vast majority of resturant workers multi tasking is a must. So get off your high horse any one can take a order. Duh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lilith in Sacramento, California

50 months ago

The Dude in Mission Viejo, California said: There's no comparison, restaurant waiters are real servers, where as banquet servers are nothing more than fancily dressed pizza delivery boys/girls.

The question is: who is smarter? If you're at the "right" facility, where you are getting a nice chunk of the gratuity pool and working BIG money events , you are making 25/50/heck, even 75 an hour as a banquet server. While the restaurant servers on the other side of the property are killing themselves to walk with 100-150 that night. Banquet Departments usually attract the jaded, nasty, grizzled ol' veterans that are good for nothing more than carrying trays and dropping off a few plates. I would NEVER trust them to take an order...woah, that'd be like asking a chimp to fly a plane.

Neither banquet or restaurant servers (in hotels ) really impress me though. Outside of possibly Mandarin Orient, a couple Ritz properties, and The Montage and St. Regis properties. (continued)


You are very rude and know little of half the crap you are talking about. Just because you have known some who could not handle taking a order dont lump all banquet servers in the same catergory. At my place of work banquet servers do both, you make it sound like its rocket science. Wrong Its common sense, attention to detail, the ability to listen, customer service skills, multi tasking and good manners! Which you clearly do not have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lilith in Sacramento, California

50 months ago

Banquet serving is more work than most are willing to admit. From the set up of the room, to the serving of a room of 150 people for 4hours non stop, followed by the breakdown of the room and the setup for the next event. I in know way am trying to lessen the duties of a server but at least most servers have a busser to set the room for them, bus their tables and set the table for the next group. Both workers bust their butt's. Dont ever try to say a banquet server is a fancy dressed pizza boy/girl that just shows how ignorant you are! I work circles around people like you who spout nonsense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Seattle, Washington

44 months ago

Lets get down to whats realy at the heart of this discution: How much money do banquet servers make? A: Alot! In my mind its not about who is better, its how much money do you make. In restaurants when someone says they bring home 200 a night that is the best saterday of the month. Even then it takes time to build up seniority at a new restaurant to get the good shifts. You are constantly fighting the management, the customer and the other employees in restaurants. In banquets I show up and make the same amount of money ever hour I work with in the pay cicle. That being averaging 25-35 Dollars an hour pre tax every shift I have ever worked. The stress is much less then restaurants also. Much more physical but less stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

NewBanquetServer-previousFOH restaurant in Dublin, Ohio

40 months ago

I just started working in Banquets, and love it. Its great money. More acurately, its about double what I was bringing home as a restaurant server.
It is definitely more physical, but less stress, just like above.
With the manager that was boasting about his 125k per year, but bashing his coworkers, oh, i'm sorry, i mean the dirt beneath his feet, I wish those coworkers could match his response to his face, because I very much doubt that he has the cshutzpa to drop his drama on them.
Although, drama in serving...is all part of the game! Thank God for Banquets, and less drama rama!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JettingtoMars in US

40 months ago

Banquets tends to be much better because restaurant servers are bottomfeeding servants scraping the bottom of the barrel for any penny they can get, to make the same as banquet waiters/waitresses. I worked in banquets and loved it because the pay rate was 10-12 and maybe a buck or two an hour more for on-call/special events/staffing firms.

The rewards are much better because you are not desperately fighting with co-workers for tables like in a restaurant to make a livable wage. So yea to the Orginal poster about overly dressed and glamorous versions of restaurant waiter/waitresses - kiss off. you know zip

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JettingtoMars in US

40 months ago

Joe in Seattle, Washington said: Lets get down to whats realy at the heart of this discution: How much money do banquet servers make? A: Alot! In my mind its not about who is better, its how much money do you make. In restaurants when someone says they bring home 200 a night that is the best saterday of the month. Even then it takes time to build up seniority at a new restaurant to get the good shifts. You are constantly fighting the management, the customer and the other employees in restaurants. In banquets I show up and make the same amount of money ever hour I work with in the pay cicle. That being averaging 25-35 Dollars an hour pre tax every shift I have ever worked. The stress is much less then restaurants also. Much more physical but less stressful.

and the average banquet waiter is not going to make 20s an hour. You're out of your mind. Banquet waiters are in hotels, country clubs, wedding facilities, conference centers, and so on... Those places are not paying 20s an hour lol. If they did, we'd all want banquet careers. Not even being a chef in a more glamorous and important job like banquets will pay you that. When the chef I think is the most important job of all! Bad food, ruins the day.. and an everlasting horrid memory

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Akron, Ohio

32 months ago

JettingtoMars in US said: Banquets tends to be much better because restaurant servers are bottomfeeding servants scraping the bottom of the barrel for any penny they can get, to make the same as banquet waiters/waitresses. I worked in banquets and loved it because the pay rate was 10-12 and maybe a buck or two an hour more for on-call/special events/staffing firms.

The rewards are much better because you are not desperately fighting with co-workers for tables like in a restaurant to make a livable wage. So yea to the Orginal poster about overly dressed and glamorous versions of restaurant waiter/waitresses - kiss off. you know zip

i really think it depends on where you work. i am a restaurant server but do banquets when im needed. i like the restaurant a lot more because i like earning my own tips, not busting my ass for everyone else, some which do not do there fair share of the work. i work 4- 8 hours a day and average 70-150 in tips, add my small minimum wage and i make decent money. the banquet servers think we dont make money in the restaurant , and i always reply with " im a single mom, i wouldnt work here if i didnt make money" now 6 hours in a banquet i make 80-150 bucks, so its bout the same where im at. both are hard labor jobs, i work hard and bust my butt ,and i wouldnt have it any other way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian Francis Fenlon in Palm Harbor, Florida

25 months ago

banquet manager thatsme in Succasunna, New Jersey said: Restaurant waiters think they are the only "true" waiters. Banquet servers think they're better because they can handle more covers. Who's better?

remember.... in many professions. there are comparisons between him & her and her and him and everyone thinks they are the best! restaurant servers and banquet servers are quite different! so really its more about which property you speak in reflection to. Brian Francis Fenlon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nathan in Seattle, Washington

21 months ago

Joe in Seattle, Washington said: Lets get down to whats realy at the heart of this discution: How much money do banquet servers make? A: Alot! In my mind its not about who is better, its how much money do you make. In restaurants when someone says they bring home 200 a night that is the best saterday of the month. Even then it takes time to build up seniority at a new restaurant to get the good shifts. You are constantly fighting the management, the customer and the other employees in restaurants. In banquets I show up and make the same amount of money ever hour I work with in the pay cicle. That being averaging 25-35 Dollars an hour pre tax every shift I have ever worked. The stress is much less then restaurants also. Much more physical but less stressful.

HI Joe, I have done quite a bit now of work in Seattle but I have only found jobs that pay $12 an hr. Where are some jobs that pay more? I am having trouble because its a lot of work and I'm not that sure I want to keep doing banquets for only $12.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.