What is the best bartending school in NJ?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 112)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Anna in Sparta, New Jersey

71 months ago

I live in North Jersey and I am looking for the best school in area.Any suggestions?
Thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Allen Sutton in Orlando, Florida

71 months ago

There really isn't any reason to go to bartending school. I am originally from Jersey (Red Bank, Monmouth County) and I tended bar there for five years and for two more years here in Florida. It is better to just get a serving job and work up to bartender to get experience, because most places don't really look at a bartending school certificate as a valid qualification for hiring you on as a bartender. I worked for Friday's, Ruby Tuesday (I used to be a manager there too), and a few Mom and Pop style places and I never once saw anyone get hired because they went to bartending school. So, save your money and just work your way up and get experience. Managers would rather move people up from within or hire people who have actually tended bar before.

Good Luck!

Allen

Anna in Sparta, New Jersey said: I live in North Jersey and I am looking for the best school in area.Any suggestions?
Thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

ANONYMOUS in Weehawken, New Jersey

68 months ago

Anna in Sparta, New Jersey said: I live in North Jersey and I am looking for the best school in area.Any suggestions?
Thx

DON'T GO TO MONTCLAIR. I have definately been told they trick you into contracts and then when you do not attend the class and pay their other fees they send you on to creditors. When you try to discuss with their office, they refuse to speak with you, call you back, are rude, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Cranford, New Jersey

65 months ago

Thx

National Bartender School woodbridge new jersey just graduated from there. I highly recommend it. cheap and great instructors

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HELP ME!!!!!!! in Newark, New Jersey

63 months ago

Crap, I just went to the Montclair place today and filled out that stupid form and signed it!!!! If I do not go, they will call creditors????? How do I get out of this???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Leah in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

63 months ago

Mixology Wine Institute is by far the best. Not only do they have the best teachers but they have several locations in both NJ and PA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

lderosa in Nutley, New Jersey

61 months ago

Wish I saw your post earlier. I went to Mix Em' Up Bartending School in Verona a few years ago and thought it was great, the price was reasonable, they are very flexible and you learn a lot because it is all hands on. I would highly recommend them if you are able to get out of the Montclair contract. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

PS. In this economy, it never hurts to attend classes and try to better yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Newtown, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

Mix Em Up. They have three locations..verona, flemington and linden i think. I LOVED it there. I went to the one in verona and had Joann as my instructor. The one in montclair called bottoms up is supposed to be really really bad =/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Bowes in Wayne, New Jersey

61 months ago

I went to the American Bartenders School in Little Falls. I liked the hands on training. The school has a job placement service and they gave me several job leads when I graduated. It took me about 2 weeks to find a job. I earned back the cost of the training my first week on the job.

I had a friend that thought that he didn't need to go to school. He worked as bar back, which is a fancy name for a bus boy and didn't learn anything. After a month he quit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jose in Plainfield, New Jersey

60 months ago

National bartenders school in Woodbridge is the best.!!!! :]- lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Sparta, New Jersey

60 months ago

Thx

I went to Mix em Up in Verona after going to see American in Little Falls too. They wanted 900 bucks and the lady wouldn't let me leave unless I signed up, really talking down to me. The instructor Joanne at Mix em Up is AMAZING! She is one of the coolest people I have ever met.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Victoria in Marlboro, New Jersey

60 months ago

lderosa in Nutley, New Jersey said: Wish I saw your post earlier. I went to Mix Em' Up Bartending School in Verona a few years ago and thought it was great, the price was reasonable, they are very flexible and you learn a lot because it is all hands on. I would highly recommend them if you are able to get out of the Montclair contract. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

PS. In this economy, it never hurts to attend classes and try to better yourself.

I also went to Mix em up bartending school, I attended the school in linden and it was awesome. They are hands on, and alot of fun. Great prices too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shaun in Mahwah, New Jersey

60 months ago

I graduated from the National Bartenders School a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I was referred to the school by a friend who graduated from there and works at a big sports bar. The staff was friendly, caring, and knowledgeable. I would recommend NBS to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ma de in Passaic, New Jersey

59 months ago

that would be great..thxs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hopeamnotgettingscrewed in Perth Amboy, New Jersey

57 months ago

HELP ME!!!!!!! in Newark, New Jersey said: Crap, I just went to the Montclair place today and filled out that stupid form and signed it!!!! If I do not go, they will call creditors????? How do I get out of this???

Hi,

Were you ever able to get out of the contract? Or did you go thru the bartending school, was it worth it? Did they place you afterwards, like they promised?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gingerale27 in Harrison, New Jersey

56 months ago

so.....anybody heard anything about a bartending school in Montclair called Bottoms Up? I went there....it seemed scary and not at all professional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymus 7 in Caldwell, New Jersey

56 months ago

gingerale27 in Harrison, New Jersey said: so.....anybody heard anything about a bartending school in Montclair called Bottoms Up? I went there....it seemed scary and not at all professional.

Did you join by any chance????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

P'nuts Mom in Little Falls, New Jersey

56 months ago

WOW!!!!! I went there too, and they did the same thing to me with the $50 after the test, thinking that this "license" was issued through another entity, I paid the $50. Not only that, when I went there and signed up, I gave them my credit card for the $50 deposit, and that was valid and I signed the receipt. Come to find out they hit my card for another $145, which was not authorized by me, nor did I sign anything. And what about this "BAR CARD" I was told you receive? It must mean something. If you notice, there are some places that ask for that "CARD". So where the hell is my "CARD"???? It will be fixed though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need a job NJ in Ringwood, New Jersey

56 months ago

Hey P'nuts Mom
When did you go there? i was looking at going also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

What? Did you read my post? And you still want to go there? Well good luck just know they will rip you off that's what they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

No i read your post, what i meant was i was thinking of going there then i read your post, And No way, Not now. have you found any bartending jobs yet? I was just wondering when you went, was it 2 months ago, was it last week? im glad i saw your post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I really don't think it matters when I went there. Unless this is someone from "THERE". A scam's a scam's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

No not at all, you just saved me 195 dollars, I thank you Mom. Sorry didnt mean to get you mad.

meee23 in Nutley, New Jersey

56 months ago

hey! i went there too like a month ago. i should have known better than that and followed my instinct and just left... but ended up trying it out. that is crazy that he made you "a deal"... i didnt even have to take that test, he just gave the "license" to me which looked very cheap. and then he gave me the access to their database which was supposed to have jobs posted there, and when i went on it, there was not a single job posted!!!!
also, i saw somebody say something about how their card got swiped twice... they did this to me too!!! for a second i thought it was just by mistake... yea right, now it's clear that they do that to everyone! i have my bank working on it because i did not authorize them to charge my 195 which came from "oops, it got swiped twice..."
so if anyone is still thinking about going there... do yourself a favor and stay away from them! and if there's anything possible to do to prove they are scam-artists, count me in!

Anonymus 7 in Caldwell, New Jersey said: I will tell you of my experiences at "Bottoms Up". It started out ok, seemed like a legitimate class. It was puzzling that this guy "Rob" only taught for an hour and let us practice for 3 hours on 2 back to back Saturdays. I mean arent we suppose to be beginners???? I thought the place was legit right up until the end when I took the bartending test. You have to make 12 drinks in 8 minutes which seemed excessive for beginners with 2 Saturdays of experience. After the test which I managed to get 8 drinks in 8 minutes (failing) he offered me a deal. I would pay him $50.00 dollars to get my bartending certificate. Now I didnt realize it at the time but this was a definitely a scam. Now as Im searching the field looking for jobs, no body has a clue who "Bottoms Up" is. In their database of jobs, they claim "these are yours for the taking". Oh really!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I plan on making a visit there to find out what the situation is...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Oh there is a group forming. Your bank is not the only one working on this one. My card was not swiped twice, nor did I sign anything for the charges on my account. If you are still interested, please make sure to reply here. It will be checked again tomorrow by me, and possibly before from a few other people.

55 months ago

Anonymus 7 in Caldwell, New Jersey said: Hey we should chat in a secure area.

that'd be good!

55 months ago

P'nuts Mom in Little Falls, New Jersey said: Oh there is a group forming. Your bank is not the only one working on this one. My card was not swiped twice, nor did I sign anything for the charges on my account. If you are still interested, please make sure to reply here. It will be checked again tomorrow by me, and possibly before from a few other people.

did they try to make a photo copy of your id and the card?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Hey meee23 in Nutley - Good Thinking. I am going to that too. Oh and God help them if they even try to charge anything else on my card. Anything over $200 warrants "Criminal Charges", I know this for a fact.

55 months ago

Tired of fraudulent people in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: I canceled my debit card early this afternoon so I can make sure they wont steal a dime more out of my bank account again. Thanks, for the advice. Also, I would like to know if you would like to join us on trying to get Bottoms up shut down. Me and another 2 people have filed a complaint against them with the better business bureau. I think you should make a complaint against them too you just have to go to the bbb website. Please let me know if you know of anybody else who have also been scammed by them . I think it is time for them to pay for their fraudulent activities. Otherwise they would continue scamming hardworking people.

i will definitely report them to the BBB!!! hope they get shut down...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

P'nuts Mom in Little Falls, New Jersey said: Hey meee23 in Nutley - Good Thinking. I am going to that too. Oh and God help them if they even try to charge anything else on my card. Anything over $200 warrants "Criminal Charges", I know this for a fact.

that's why they probably dont try to charge anything over 200... i did that right away, especially when i saw them making copy of my card... i think they thought i wouldnt notice them copying it.

55 months ago

Hello,

If anyone is interested in getting Bottoms Up shut down, please go to the BBB and fill it out. That is the first step. The second step is going to the attorney generals office of new jersey. Remember we need strength in numbers to get an investigation going. My credit card was fraudulently used as well. I cancelled the charges with my bank and the card.

meeeeee23 in Nutley, New Jersey

55 months ago

it's not about the 50 that we're talking about here... it's that "oops, i swiped your card twice" issue... and it seems that for each person that this happened to (and seems to be quite a few of them, which clearly shows that it wasn't any accident there) they were charged another 195 or so without authorizing anything; then what about making copies of credit cards and ids?!?!?!?! where in the hell have you seen any business do it? and when i said that i wasn't comfortable w it... nothing was done about it!!! thats like id theft 101!!! are you really serious w running a business like that?!
these are the things that people are concerned about... we all know the job is not guaranteed and a lot depends on what type of person you are in order to get one... and by the way... no need to call everyone out here (like who's a stripper or a smelly ex-pilot...) who cares?!?!?!! for you to ditch and belittle certain people (your clients) is just unprofessional and rude... what they look like or what they do/did is none of your business, they came to this place to learn how to bartend and get some help with finding a job afterall...

satisfied in Clifton, New Jersey said: READ ONE POST ON HERE .............

lol. they will scam you out of your money. don't do it. i went there a few years back and paid 50 dollars strictly for them to place me in a job bartending

SHE GAVE THE COMPANY 50 DOLLARS!!!!! 50 DOLLARS !!!!! LMFAO !!!!
WE TOOK 50 FROM SOMEONE FOR JOB PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE AND SOME TRAINING.........SWEETS, BARTENDING SCHOOLS CHARGE A HELL OF A LOT MORE .....HEEELLLLLLLL OF A LOT MORE AND YOUR ON HERE FLAPPIN YOUR GUMS ABOUT 50 DOLALRS ?????? AND WE GET SLAMMED FROM PEOPLE ????? HOW IS THIS .....TELL AMERICAN BARTENDING SCHOOL...(900) DOLLARS........MIX EM UP(300 AND CHANGE) .....THAT YOU HAVE 50 BUCKS AND THEY WILL KICK YOUR TASTY CAKES OUT THE DOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chelseacl0408 in Hillside, New Jersey

55 months ago

Anonymus 7 in Caldwell, New Jersey said: I will tell you of my experiences at "Bottoms Up". It started out ok, seemed like a legitimate class. It was puzzling that this guy "Rob" only taught for an hour and let us practice for 3 hours on 2 back to back Saturdays. I mean arent we suppose to be beginners???? I thought the place was legit right up until the end when I took the bartending test. You have to make 12 drinks in 8 minutes which seemed excessive for beginners with 2 Saturdays of experience. After the test which I managed to get 8 drinks in 8 minutes (failing) he offered me a deal. I would pay him $50.00 dollars to get my bartending certificate. Now I didnt realize it at the time but this was a definitely a scam. Now as Im searching the field looking for jobs, no body has a clue who "Bottoms Up" is. In their database of jobs, they claim "these are yours for the taking". Oh really!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I plan on making a visit there to find out what the situation is. I have a lawyer contact who can make things happen for me if it comes to that point. Well see.

By the way is there someone out there that is in my predicament that went and graduated from bottoms up thats also having problems getting placed in a bar?????? Let me know because I have ideas on how we can get our money back.

The exact same thing happened to me. I paid the 50 and got the "license" after not passing the test. I knew the drinks, but I just couldn't make them fast enough. Rob told me the only reason he offered me to bypass the test was because I knew my stuff. Now I can't even access the list of jobs. The email and password he gave me doesn't work. By the way, I forgot to mention, in beginning I deposited 50 to start. I told them I would pay the balance on Friday. The next day I saw the entire amount charged on my card. I was very upset and called my bank. I called Bottoms Up, but of course everyone was clueless. Like a fool, I let it go and took the class anyway.

55 months ago

satisfied in Clifton, New Jersey said: these are all very serious claims.......so let me get this right ....you are all saying that Bridgette swipped your card twice for more money then was agreed upon?

Not only were cards swipped, maybe once or twice, but you only need the numbers and as a merchant, you can process cards after-the-fact, like when you add a tip onto the dinner bill - it's after-the-fact, that the tip is actually processed. In any case, not only did these people do this, they also bought a LOT OF EXPENSIVE items using OUR credit card information.

BEST ADVICE TO ALL - CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS, CANCEL YOUR CARDS, AND IF THERE IS ANY ACTIVITY WHICH IS EVEN REMOTELY OFF - CONTACT THE MONTCLAIR POLICE DEPARTMENT.

satisfied in Clifton, New Jersey

55 months ago

what merchandise was purchased using your credit cards????????..........all you have to do if that is the case put a track on where this merchandise was shipped to and you will have the culprits .......no way stuff was ordered with your credit card.......no way.........and if so you have to again just find out where it was shipped to and bamm! you got your culprit

55 months ago

I have already started the process. People can only get away with stuff like this for so long.

55 months ago

Well first i want to Thank P'nuts Mom. You saved me alot of money. I called them awhile ago, and Thank God i found this forum before i went there. I have followed this Forum for awhile and its just screwed up how these people get away with this. Anybody that Steals from someone has no conscience or heart. And somehow it will come back around it always does. It just goest to show how many lowlifes there are out there. Well i just wanted to say Thanks to P'nuts and this forum. And Happy New Year to everybody. Good Luck!!!

yankee nation in Clifton, New Jersey

54 months ago

curious pnuts mom............you said this woman ordered stuff on your c.c.! how the hell is that possible..........and what was ordered? did you call the cops? thanks for posting cuz i met with this woman the monday b4 christmas and she kept hounding me for a credit card.......to pay 50 bucks for my bar card.....lol....like i was that dumb.....so glad i saw this post yet very sad bout your situation.....all the best

54 months ago

Well no matter what the outcome of the police investigation is, I am satisfied in knowing that I at least saved a few good hard working people a lot of hassle. These people are SCUM at best, and they make a living SCAMMING people. To "yankee nation", all you need is someone's cc info and you can order anything online. That's exactly what they did, and I'm not the only person that this happened to. To "need a job ringwood", that's the reason why we ALL went there, trying to better ourselves, or change professions, and these people KNEW that and still did what they did. LOSER'S are not the word, and to think that both of these people are "TEACHERS", and I'm talking about in elementary and high school. Are you kidding me???? What are they teaching these kids? How to scam people, it's pretty scary when you think about it.

54 months ago

So im curious, has anybody found a bartending job since attending this school? From what i have been reading nobody has gotten the " Bar card". Is there another way to get this through the state?

alex in Union City, New Jersey

54 months ago

I am beyond angry with myself for allowing this scumbag to take my money and not do anything about it .........She is really a low life piece of ....well .....you know ......I want to try and keep this clean........How can she get away with this

alex in Union City, New Jersey

54 months ago

I am very greatful to have found this site and these posts .........I swear to God I thought it was just me that this happened to .....

54 months ago

P'nuts Mom, dont worry about screaming, People need to vent. And from what i read this happened right before Christmas. So if you have family's it was hurting them also. I did call the BBB and told them about what they are doing. Your right they NEED to be stopped. Ill do whatever i can to help, just let me know.

54 months ago

did u ever see paper work proving robert was one of the owners or was he just bragging about it like he did own the place........cuz all i ever saw was bridget up there ???????

54 months ago

when you say he is indeed part owner ........can you prove it ?

54 months ago

Tired of fraudulent people in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: People please dont let "yankee nation" in Clifton, New Jersey fool you. I am almost 100% sure he is Robert from bottoms up himself. Otherwise why would he be trying to defend Robert like if it was his bussiness to prove Robert from the scam artist school inocent.

Tired
Its funny i thought the same exact thing when i read his first post, and i didnt even meet the guy. Did you notice that Satisfied in Clifton and Yankee nation in Clifton are kinda the same. makes you think doesnt it.

'Tender in Caldwell, New Jersey

54 months ago

I am a Bartender, I am also an instructor at a school. Not this one obviously. WOW is all I have to say. Let me also say that you don't NEED to go to bartending school if you find a place that will hire you with no experience. I will say this, it is a good idea if you want to learn about drinks, be well rounded with different types of alcohol, and practice handling the bottles. It's less expensive to waste colored water, than getting a job, wasting alcohol at a real bar and getting fired. With that being said. This school cannot issue bar cards. Bar cards are handed out but individual citys AFTER you get a job. For example. If I get a job at "Jims Tavern" in Hoboken, I have to go to the Police station, get fingerprinted and pay a fee, they hand me a card (that is good for the year) that states I'm legally allowed to handle alcohol in that town. Some towns don't even require bar cards. As far as looking for a school, make sure you find one that is approved by the BBB as well as certified by the Board of Education. This breaks my heart to read this, not all bartending school are like this. Check out a few, don't let ANYONE make you pay for an interview. You should have fun at the school, you shouldn't fee like the instructor is above you. Bartending is an amazing job and you should have an amazing experience at your school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Tired,
Where on craigslist? i would like to check that out!!

54 months ago

I agree with you. im currently going to American Bartenders and the teaching, respect and professionalism is amazing. You do pay more than if you just went to Joes bartending school but they are training you to be "Professional Bartenders". They also have a specific workforce that helps you get placed. I highly recommend this place if your looking to make at least 300 dollars a night getting out of the program. Reputation is everything.

- Indeed Host in Austin, Texas

54 months ago

Hello everyone, This is a forum for people to discuss jobs, industries, companies and such. While we encourage the exchange of ideas and opinions, we ask that you refrain from posting people's names and making personal attacks. We also ask that you keep all comments on topic. Please help us foster a professional and informative environment for all our users. Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.