Side/Second Jobs for Biologists

Comments (4)

riot in Boston, Massachusetts

35 months ago

Hi,

I'm about to start my PhD in Molecular/Cell Biology this fall and plan to work in the Biotech industry when I finish, possibly after a post-doc. My question is: What types of side/secondary jobs does this kind of background give you skills for? I'd like to work a part-time job (after I finish school) in addition to my career, so that I can pay down student loans and make up for lost income. If at all possible, I want to avoid having this second job be the food service job I worked through undergrad!

Is consulting a possibility? Would I be able to leverage my skills and knowledge into per-diem work in a hospital lab? Do weekend medical coding/billing jobs exist? (I test very well and feel that I could study for the certifications that don't require a specific degree pretty easily.) What about other positions that require certification/credentials?

I've tutored before and wouldn't mind doing that again, but it would need to be in a specific location/institution - Right now I don't feel like I would want to build a clientele base and I wouldn't know how to price myself.

Thanks for the help!

njbiodude in Raritan, New Jersey

35 months ago

My friends in PhD programs say they work 70 hours a week, so good luck working.

Consulting is a possibility when you graduate, but you might need experience in the biotech/healthcare industry first. Of course you're free to apply to consulting firms upon graduation. Getting leadership positions might be useful. Most medical labs hire certified medical laboratory scientists which is a one year full-time internship with an exam at the end. If you want to get a medical coder position, take the certification before you enter the PhD if you can. This is a 28-40k a year job and not really relevant to your studies but go ahead if you want. Like I said its going to be hard to work, but you have a stipend for your PhD right? If not, consider looking for a program that offers this, and use your time to focus on publishing. Good luck.

riot in Newburyport, Massachusetts

35 months ago

njbiodude in Raritan, New Jersey said: My friends in PhD programs say they work 70 hours a week, so good luck working.

Consulting is a possibility when you graduate, but you might need experience in the biotech/healthcare industry first. Of course you're free to apply to consulting firms upon graduation. Getting leadership positions might be useful. Most medical labs hire certified medical laboratory scientists which is a one year full-time internship with an exam at the end. If you want to get a medical coder position, take the certification before you enter the PhD if you can. This is a 28-40k a year job and not really relevant to your studies but go ahead if you want. Like I said its going to be hard to work, but you have a stipend for your PhD right? If not, consider looking for a program that offers this, and use your time to focus on publishing. Good luck.

Yeah, I tried to convey in my post that I was looking at two jobs AFTER finishing my program. Yes, I will have a stipend and I'm not looking to work while I complete the degree.

By the time I finish my PhD, I should have the following degrees and experience:

BS in Biology w/Chemistry Minor
PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology (which implies several years of research experience)
Graduate Certificate in Cellular Engineering

Undergraduate Research - several Summers in a Molecular Biology Lab
Industry Internship - paid, 3 months
Tutoring - 2.5 years at the college level

Self-taught - programming (Ruby, mostly), computer repair
Competent Writer
Food Service - 4 to 5 years experience

I want to know what I can do as part-time/weekend work to go ALONG with a full-time career in Biotech once I complete my PhD. Thanks.

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts

30 months ago

Just wanted to bump this in hopes of a reply. People in Biotech or academic research positions, do you work second jobs? What do you do? The only direct advice I've gotten is to bartend.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.