Side/Second Jobs for Biologists

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

riot in Boston, Massachusetts

24 months ago

Hi,

I'm about to start my PhD in Molecular/Cell Biology this fall and plan to work in the Biotech industry when I finish, possibly after a post-doc. My question is: What types of side/secondary jobs does this kind of background give you skills for? I'd like to work a part-time job (after I finish school) in addition to my career, so that I can pay down student loans and make up for lost income. If at all possible, I want to avoid having this second job be the food service job I worked through undergrad!

Is consulting a possibility? Would I be able to leverage my skills and knowledge into per-diem work in a hospital lab? Do weekend medical coding/billing jobs exist? (I test very well and feel that I could study for the certifications that don't require a specific degree pretty easily.) What about other positions that require certification/credentials?

I've tutored before and wouldn't mind doing that again, but it would need to be in a specific location/institution - Right now I don't feel like I would want to build a clientele base and I wouldn't know how to price myself.

Thanks for the help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

njbiodude in Raritan, New Jersey

24 months ago

My friends in PhD programs say they work 70 hours a week, so good luck working.

Consulting is a possibility when you graduate, but you might need experience in the biotech/healthcare industry first. Of course you're free to apply to consulting firms upon graduation. Getting leadership positions might be useful. Most medical labs hire certified medical laboratory scientists which is a one year full-time internship with an exam at the end. If you want to get a medical coder position, take the certification before you enter the PhD if you can. This is a 28-40k a year job and not really relevant to your studies but go ahead if you want. Like I said its going to be hard to work, but you have a stipend for your PhD right? If not, consider looking for a program that offers this, and use your time to focus on publishing. Good luck.

riot in Newburyport, Massachusetts

24 months ago

njbiodude in Raritan, New Jersey said: My friends in PhD programs say they work 70 hours a week, so good luck working.

Consulting is a possibility when you graduate, but you might need experience in the biotech/healthcare industry first. Of course you're free to apply to consulting firms upon graduation. Getting leadership positions might be useful. Most medical labs hire certified medical laboratory scientists which is a one year full-time internship with an exam at the end. If you want to get a medical coder position, take the certification before you enter the PhD if you can. This is a 28-40k a year job and not really relevant to your studies but go ahead if you want. Like I said its going to be hard to work, but you have a stipend for your PhD right? If not, consider looking for a program that offers this, and use your time to focus on publishing. Good luck.

Yeah, I tried to convey in my post that I was looking at two jobs AFTER finishing my program. Yes, I will have a stipend and I'm not looking to work while I complete the degree.

By the time I finish my PhD, I should have the following degrees and experience:

BS in Biology w/Chemistry Minor
PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology (which implies several years of research experience)
Graduate Certificate in Cellular Engineering

Undergraduate Research - several Summers in a Molecular Biology Lab
Industry Internship - paid, 3 months
Tutoring - 2.5 years at the college level

Self-taught - programming (Ruby, mostly), computer repair
Competent Writer
Food Service - 4 to 5 years experience

I want to know what I can do as part-time/weekend work to go ALONG with a full-time career in Biotech once I complete my PhD. Thanks.

Riot in Ware, Massachusetts

20 months ago

Just wanted to bump this in hopes of a reply. People in Biotech or academic research positions, do you work second jobs? What do you do? The only direct advice I've gotten is to bartend.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.