Business Analyst- How to get certification?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Maddy in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

I'm not a BA, but thought I would send you feedback. Many of the BA's where I am employed have no certification (many have undergrad degrees), most got into the role after having had other IT jobs. I did a quick search on BA Qualifications, found lots of info, much written around IT BA vs. Business BA. I guess my feedback would be more relevant to IT BA's, since that is who I mainly work with. I took the Master Certification in BA from Villanova Univ, but didn't do anything with it. Just took to get mandated training out the way, but enjoyed it, and better understand the role of the BA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (111) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

harpreet Singh in Hong Kong

82 months ago

I am into Banking domain as Developer. Wanted to Know if can switch to Bussiness Analyst profile if yes from where can i get the needed iformation or certification or any part times courses avaiable for doing the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (187) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Troy Green in Puyallup, Washington

76 months ago

Goto IIBA
www.theiiba.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Divya Gupta in New Delhi, India

76 months ago

I am working as a "setup configuration analyst" in a IT company.I want to know the requirements for the post of "Bussiness Analyst" and how can I switch to the bussiness analyst role.I am a MCA,whether I have do do some course for moving for this post or not.Please provide me the proper feedback so that I can move on to the right path and if we need to do some course or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea Gavin in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

76 months ago

I am a Certified Business Analyst/Quality Assurance Tester with a BA certificate from Worcester State College in Worcester Ma. My former employer paid for the classes and made it mandatory for all of the BA's to get certified at Worcester State College (local college).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

krishna in Bombay, India

75 months ago

i want to do Bus. Analyst...plz give directions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

megha in Torrance, California

72 months ago

Maddy in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm not a BA, but thought I would send you feedback. Many of the BA's where I am employed have no certification (many have undergrad degrees), most got into the role after having had other IT jobs. I did a quick search on BA Qualifications, found lots of info, much written around IT BA vs. Business BA. I guess my feedback would be more relevant to IT BA's, since that is who I mainly work with. I took the Master Certification in BA from Villanova Univ, but didn't do anything with it. Just took to get mandated training out the way, but enjoyed it, and better understand the role of the BA.

Hi there i want to ask you that did u go for online study , and how much it had cost to you . i am also thinking abt a BA training form a job consultants .. i have done my MBA in finance and hr. should i go for it???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Extensionbay LLC in Marietta, Georgia

71 months ago

Please check www.Extensionbay.com fo details of the training
Ph: <Edited by Host: Contact Info Removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Irvine, California

66 months ago

I have my degree in Computer science and worked as a programmer for five years but no my passion. I took BA certification course but unable to find job because the companies are not willing to train. Any suggestions, I love public interaction and this is my cup of tea to a successful BA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Panos in Warwick, United Kingdom

65 months ago

Ashley in Irvine, California said: I have my degree in Computer science and worked as a programmer for five years but no my passion. I took BA certification course but unable to find job because the companies are not willing to train. Any suggestions, I love public interaction and this is my cup of tea to a successful BA

Ashley I say that Irvine has a certification in BA. Did you take that certification there? Was it interesting? Is that for one year?

Also could you please tell me a good university which has a certification for BA?

Thanks,
Panos

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PJ in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

Many developers simply cannot make the switch to being business analysts or systems analysts as a different skill set is required. Systems Analysis and Design is different from "designing" as a developer. Many simply do not have the patience to work with the customers, understand the business, document things, and be able to communicate in non-technical terms the information necessary to provide to customers.

A successful BA/BSA/SA needs to not only know the technology, but also have audience-appropriate communication skills, to bridge the gap between business users and IT technicians. You must be able to talk to executives about high level project goals/progress as well as talk to talk to clerks to understand their job so you can improve their process. You have to be as comfortable designing the solution as you are writing the users guide as creating the test plans, improving the process, analyzing the risk of a particular alternative, creating process flow diagrams, database schema, functional and technical specifications, and all other project documentation. If you are not one to write things down, then this job is not for you. You should know the business so well that your customers think you are part of their team not the IT team, and you should be able to anticipate their systems needs before they even ask you for enhancements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandhya in Delhi, India

61 months ago

Hiii
I am a Dot Net developer and i have an experience of one year.
I want to be a Business Analyst just now and not after some years of experience in IT only . I dont want to do the programming too.
I did MCA but now not interested in development.How can i be a BA? Do i need to do some certification for it?
Please suggest me as i am not happy with my work rite now.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

BSA in Atlanta in Fayetteville, Georgia

61 months ago

All very good comments. I am a Lead Business Systems Analyst in IT, and I would recommend any professional training that you can get. I have taken the B2T training courses, and they were extremely helpful with skills that can be immediately applied. BAs need to have a specific skill set that requires excellent interpersonal skills and being able to be the liason between the IT and Business worlds. Having an IT background is a big plus, but it is not required. Some other recommendations would be training or self-study and practice in facilitation techniques, which I HIGHLY recommend. Also, there are a lot of great BA books out there that outline the skills and practices necessary to be a successful BA. "Writing Effective Use Cases" by Alistair Cockburn is a good book as is "The Software Requirements Memory Jogger: A Pocket Guide to Help Software And Business Teams Develop And Manage Requirements" by Ellen Gottesdiener. The memory jogger is sort of a pocket handbook/reference guide for tips and reminders. As I have seen mentioned several times in this thread, the IIBA is a core component. It is worth the money to join and have access to their documentation and local chapters.

Final thought...you don't need to be "certified" to be a BA as the certification is relatively new to this profession, but if you are going down the BA path as a career, I would recommend working towards some type of certification. Even if you don't have a certification, if you can show that you are working towards it....it speaks volumes for you!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

BSA in Atlanta in Fayetteville, Georgia

61 months ago

Hi, there!

1. I don't have a book that I recommend for UML as I don't use it. Actually, I don't know many BAs who do, but that just might be my line of business. I am not sure how often UML is actually used.
2. I am not sure what you mean by focus in the "business developer task". Would you please explain?
3. There is no "requirement" around having technical hands-on experience. I know junior level BAs that do not have technical experience, but I would recoomend learning the basics of technology to be truly successful and valuable to your projects if you will be working in the technology realm. For example, business process re-engineering BAs do not need technical background to be good at it, but a BA doing software or systems project work would need to understand technology. The more you know, the better off you will be. However, there is no hard requirement written in stone. As long as you are a fast learner and can prove yourself, you should not have any problem.
4. Agreed.
5. Good for you!!!
6. Good books....there are many out there. As I mentioned, Alistair Cockburn's "Writing Effective Use Cases" is a great book. It helps to understand how to document business processes that will translate detailed requirements. "The Business Analyst's Handbook" is good for outlining the BA role in general from a higher level. Good for junior BAs. I already mentioned the "pocket guide" as a handy reference. There are so many books out there that focus on particular areas, so I am not really sure what you are looking for. If you are just entering the BA world, go with the higher level books that talk about BAs and not project methodologies like UML.

I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandhya in Delhi, India

61 months ago

Thanks a lot........... for the wonderful help.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jehan Lewis in McLean

50 months ago

Hi Guys!!!

I want some Requirements for Business Analyst positiion in and around IL location. Please help me to find the requirements...

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Prathap R in chennai, India

36 months ago

Hi to all,

I am a MBA grad and working as a pre sales executive in IT, i would like to shift my career path into business analyst. And thing is that i don't have any technical knowledge, will i be eligible to enter into BA field?. What necessity action should i do to shift my career path into BA ?

Pls give your valuable suggestion and advice.

Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sudha in Northbridge, Massachusetts

33 months ago

Andrea Gavin in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts said: I am a Certified Business Analyst/Quality Assurance Tester with a BA certificate from Worcester State College in Worcester Ma. My former employer paid for the classes and made it mandatory for all of the BA's to get certified at Worcester State College (local college).

Hi Andrea, not sure if you are still active in the form. Looking for doing BA certification in worcester area. Any other colleges that you may know? looks like WS College only offer private BA programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gurpal kaur in Mohali, India

33 months ago

hiii
actually nw m just gng to finish my mastr degree in computers,i want s to make my career in ba as per my interst,so i want suggestion regarding this dat is it possible for a fresher to switch in this part or do i need to have special training for this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jitendra in Delhi, India

31 months ago

Hi

I have an overall experience of 5.6 years in Software Development in Microsoft's .Net Technologies. I have MBA in Banking along with B Tech in Computer Science and Engineering.
No I am looking for an opportunity as Business Analyst but I don't have sufficient information regarding this. Can anyone please guide me how can I get success to be a Business Anayst?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bcrawl in Dublin, Ohio

30 months ago

PJ in Dallas, Texas said: Many developers simply cannot make the switch to being business analysts or systems analysts as a different skill set is required. Systems Analysis and Design is different from "designing" as a developer. Many simply do not have the patience to work with the customers, understand the business, document things, and be able to communicate in non-technical terms the information necessary to provide to customers.

A successful BA/BSA/SA needs to not only know the technology, but also have audience-appropriate communication skills, to bridge the gap between business users and IT technicians. You must be able to talk to executives about high level project goals/progress as well as talk to talk to clerks to understand their job so you can improve their process. You have to be as comfortable designing the solution as you are writing the users guide as creating the test plans, improving the process, analyzing the risk of a particular alternative, creating process flow diagrams, database schema, functional and technical specifications, and all other project documentation. If you are not one to write things down, then this job is not for you. You should know the business so well that your customers think you are part of their team not the IT team, and you should be able to anticipate their systems needs before they even ask you for enhancements.

Great description of the scenarios a BA can be involved in. Really helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

noel in Asbury Park, New Jersey

30 months ago

Had anyone heard about a good school in Edison NJ to complete a BA certification?

RITURAJ in Delhi, India

29 months ago

Sandhya in Delhi, India said: Hiii
I am a Dot Net developer and i have an experience of one year.
I want to be a Business Analyst just now and not after some years of experience in IT only . I dont want to do the programming too.
I did MCA but now not interested in development.How can i be a BA? Do i need to do some certification for it?
Please suggest me as i am not happy with my work rite now.
Thanks

hello dude i also did a MCA pass out batch 2011, i am working in KPO really its awesome now i change my field and i also advice many friends that make a role in BA/ BR job...:)

Rituraj Srivastava

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dinesh.varma23@yahoo.com in Ahmadabad, India

29 months ago

Hello,

I am working as a Business Analyst from past 1.5yrs. I have done BE/BTech(CS) with MB(IT) and I want to know about the BA online courses or distance learning courses for BA.

Mail me at dpvarma009@gmail.com.

Thanks.
Dinesh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Basanti Khanna in Bethesda, Maryland

29 months ago

Divya Gupta in New Delhi, India said: I am working as a "setup configuration analyst" in a IT company.I want to know the requirements for the post of "Bussiness Analyst" and how can I switch to the bussiness analyst role.I am a MCA,whether I have do do some course for moving for this post or not.Please provide me the proper feedback so that I can move on to the right path and if we need to do some course or not.

Business has only one "s" after "bu". Correct spelling is important in moving forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dinesh Varma in Ahmadabad, India

29 months ago

dinesh.varma23@yahoo.com in Ahmadabad, India said: Hello,

I am working as a Business Analyst from past 1.5yrs. I have done BE/BTech(CS) with MB(IT) and I want to know about the BA online courses or distance learning courses for BA.

EMail me your response!!

Thanks,
Dinesh

The main event for a BA is the communication skills both Written as well as verbal...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rajiv S in Madras, India

29 months ago

Hi

I am having Four and half years of experience as a developer, in Which three and half are into General Insurance product development.

I want to switch my career to Business Analyst in Insurance. Currently preparing for the Licentiate exams .

Please suggest me
(1) where i can apply ?
(2) Is there any way to test my competency for Insurance Business Analyst.
(So that i can improve).

All experienced peoples, please let me know .
Also please inform me if u feel anything to be shared regarding this.

Expecting use full replies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rohan in Delhi, India

29 months ago

Hi,

I am a sales guy and working in financial industry.looking after sales of investment products such as Mutual Funds, bonds, fixed deposits, insurance,PMS. I have more than 4 yrs of experience in the same industry. Now I want to do Business Analyst course and will look to have good job prospect in my basket. I did BCA in graduation level.

Please advice me on the same.Is it worthwhile for me or not??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dbaltha in Tulsa, Oklahoma

29 months ago

Hey

Here is the link to some quick start guides that will give you and understanding of Business Analysis. I recommend getting the Introduction to Business Analysis.
www.lulu.com/spotlight/eanalyst
You can download as a ebook, ipad or paperback. Also avilable is use cases and user stories.

You may also want to join InterNational Institute of Business Analysis. This is the organization tht writes the standards for business analysis.

Hopes this helps

aaron steven in Katy, Texas

29 months ago

Joze in Kigali, Rwanda said: I am a BA with no prior training and i ugently need a sample Business Process reengineering document that can give me some idea on what key aspects am looking for. Keep in mind that am assigned with identifying redundancies within my institution. Thanks

That great and you will find some suggestions here:

junk2profits.com/startup-business-ideas-start-a-junk-removal-business/

cfran in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

I am trying to transition from the education field to being a business analyst. I have scholarship money to go back to school but I want to know how do you get started even after schooling if you don't have the work experience? Are there companies that will hire you with no direct experience, even though you have the education? What cerifications will I need to obtain? I have a Bachelor's in Business & a Master's in Education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

akhil in Pune, India

28 months ago

hi,
I am in banking. done my bachelor engineer in computer science and done my mba in finance and marketing. i nned to get back in IT industry on a profile of BA can somebody help me regarding and certification which would help me to fit for the profile.???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

28 months ago

I got my BA certification through B2T a few years ago. Now my employer thinks I also need to certify through IIBA. Is it really worth taking the exam again? It seems the requirements for the full certification with B2T are more stringent, although you don't gather CDUs and keep re-certifying the way you do with IIBA. What should I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kavkavs in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

Hi,

This forum is really very informative with great replies based on good experience.

Can you please suggest some good books to read from higher to granularity level from BA/BSA perspective?

Thanks
Kavita

Alex in Delhi, India

27 months ago

Hi,

I am in Internet Marketing and working as a SEO Team Lead in one of the reputed company in Noida and I did B.Com and going for MBA, and i want to become Businees Analyst in IT, so please anyone who can suggest me the right way to become a successful analyst and courses, certifications, institute etc if useful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rishi in Bangalore, India

26 months ago

Hi,
I am a HR professional working specifically in the field of Process Engineering, Process Automation, Implementing Operational Excellence & Audits.
I would like to make a switch to a BA profile by undergoing a BA certification.
please help me with any thoughts as to how and where from I can attain this certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pramod in Bangalore, India

26 months ago

I am production support analyst since 5 year and also have knowledge of .net framework. I am looking to switch towords BA and I am more intersted in learning. Can any one suggest what level of Basics I should have and what all the study materials(book names) to follow. Can Certification in BA will help me to switch easily to BA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

namita in Delhi, India

25 months ago

hii
i was working in bank as relationship manager.i did b.tech ece and later mba in finnace.now i want to go for business analyst role.what online sourse could be helpful to me for switch.?

please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mayank in Gurgaon, India

24 months ago

Hi,

I have my degree in Elecronics and Communication engineer and currently working since an year in an IT Staffing company as a business development manager. But i want to expand my career growth as a Business Analyst in Networking domain. Please advise if i need to do additional courses in that or how can i start my first step to reach my destiny? Is MBA a better option as well? Please suggest!!

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ASHISH_SENIOR BA in BANGALORE, India

22 months ago

Hi All,

To become a business analyst there are two paths:-
1) Do an MBA from reputed college and join any IT organisation as BA.
2) If you have prior experience in IT in technical side then also you can switch to BA role, I have seen 100s of people who switched from technical role to BA role.

In this scenario you need some preparation , read the books based on uml/use cases/ requirement gathering etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

chandra in Denver, Colorado

19 months ago

For BA training, I highly recommend The Inteq Group. They offer both traditional classroom style training and online eLearning courses. They are IIBA certified and the training has been extremely helpful to my work. I have taken the entire BA training series. They quickly send your certificate of completion which shows they are IIBA certified and shows your CEU's earned for completing the course. You can find them at inteqgroup.com. They offer courses in Business Systems Analysis, Business Process Management, Data Modeling, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sam in Shelby, North Carolina

13 months ago

A career as a Business Analyst is never a bad idea. I have been a BA for awhile and know it can be tough finding resources online. this has more info on
<a href="www.ebusinessanalysttraining.com/">business analyst training</a>. It has some good articles and information.

Cheers.

MR PS in birmingham, United Kingdom

7 months ago

There are lots of different business analyst courses available. You do not need to be qualified to enter this market but it helps your employment oppirtunities should you have good experience or qualifications. Business Analyst is also avery broad term and there are many types of BA jobs - data and IT related or more commercially focussed as you can see here: www.businessanalystjobs.co.uk I would suggest getting certified via an offical provider such as the BCS or IIBA certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cammy Murphy in Chandigarh, India

5 months ago

for business analyst you must take a training on business from business organisation which gives the proper training on business analyst.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.