Getting a business development consultant job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

How did you get your start doing business development consultant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Business Development Consultant in San Diego, California

85 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing business development consultant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

My MBA, in Business Management is of course helpful for doors to open. It is my reputation that continually places my expertise in demand and that I am sought after by Fortune 1000 companies.
From the very start, my goals were to learn as much as I could of every aspect in running & operating a successful business. While I was attending college, I was recruited by an airline of which over 50% of the employees came after I began work there. My interest and participation beyond my job responsibilities (such as re-writing my departments procedures on my own time) brought about changes that were noticed by my department manager and later adopted by other airlines. As I was recognized, I was promoted and job offers of alike were offered to me at other companies.

Start with a company that is growing. This will give you the opportunity to diversify within the company & explore your career interests allowing you to "wear a lot of different hats" within a company. Larger companies & publicly held companies are structured, usually limiting the employee to one job in one department only.
I opened a business of my own providing a service & product that I believed in. It was a success, allowing me to "retire" at a very early age. After my family had grown & left home, I returned to the work force as a consultant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.