Top business intelligence analyst skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every business intelligence analyst must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your business intelligence analyst expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Daniel Smith in Minneapolis, Minnesota

80 months ago

1. SQL (deep expertise)
2. Data Analysis
3. Strong BA skills (gathering requirements, working with users, understanding user requests)

My tip would be to develop strong technical skills (that will usually get you in the door). Work on becoming an effective communicator; asking the right questions and understanding the spoken and unspoken user requests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JP in Asia/Pacific Region

58 months ago

hi
i have question in Bi reporting

when i am trying to develope a report i want to pic the summy value from one report to another
can any body help me in this regard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

You conscience in Deridder, Louisiana

54 months ago

1. Strong Business Analyst skills (Soft tech: interacting with users; understand the business processes and logic)
2. Strong Analyzing skills (large stamina to look at numbers all day; week-after-week; note: very few people can do this even amongs CSCI majors).
3. Strong Technical skills (Hard tech: SQL Server, DBA, Data Warehouse/Mart, cubes).

You can't analyze what you don't understand. You have to be as good or better about the business process and logic than business users. This requires heavy interaction with customers. You can learn technical skills at school, self-teach, training, etc. but you only learn the details of a company while you work. Sure you can learn the basic flow of healtcare or insurance but even in the same industry, alot of business process are unique to that company. In essence, that is what makes a BIA essential. Strong knowledge of business and technology. And technology can be learned outside the company and can be easily replaced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pradeep in Hyderabad, India

28 months ago

hi,
i am pradeep I have 6+ experience in credit cards domain i want to change my domain and be business intelligence analyst I have just little idea on this need some information and can any one suggest me which is the best in institute in Hyderabad and what to learn. My education qualification is B.Sc(computers)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.