Is working as a CNC Machinist Dangerous?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

laura in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

What do you do as a CNC machinist? Do you cut big pieces of metal using a computer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bronco in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

75 months ago

CNC (Computer Numerical Control) Machinists use machine tools to turn/mill/drill/grind/etc metal to job specifications to make parts. This video can give you a good grasp. youtube.com/watch?v=7Et4qgr_i9Y

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Asheville, North Carolina

69 months ago

Laura Herrera in Houston, Texas said: Is working as a CNC Machinist dangerous?
To me dangerous is defined as, losing your eyesight, high chances of getting an arm/leg caught in a machine.
Thanks,

A common rule in any type of machining is common since.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LH in Katy, Texas

69 months ago

I am looking for a job as a manual machinist. I just finished a basic machining course at a local community college. I have been looking for work as a manual machinist on the internet but so far all of the jobs that I see for a manual machinist require 3-5 years of experience.
Do you know of a place where they accept manual machining apprentices/beginners.?
thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Shepperton, United Kingdom

66 months ago

LH in Katy, Texas said: I am looking for a job as a manual machinist. I just finished a basic machining course at a local community college. I have been looking for work as a manual machinist on the internet but so far all of the jobs that I see for a manual machinist require 3-5 years of experience.
Do you know of a place where they accept manual machining apprentices/beginners.?
thanks,

Yeah look around at machine shops and just ask, LOADS of machine shops out there would give you a go because of a lack of workeers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony Johnson in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

66 months ago

To me dangerous is defined as, losing your eyesight, high chances of getting an arm/leg caught in a machine.
Thanks,

Their should be no reason for a CNC Machinist to get themselves hurt operating machinery if they are working cautiously. They are guards that are set up to keep parts in the machine and you out of the machine. I have worked on all types of machinery for the last 27 years and hav not encountered any problems. I did see someone throw their jaws off the lathe chuck and they wizzed bye his head because he did not close the machine doors before operating the machine. Newer machines have these safety features built in already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

turner in Halifax, United Kingdom

65 months ago

Thanks,

cuts are frequent but mainly from the material. basically safe depending on the machine. not all have guards or trip switches to stop the machine. in my experience there are some people who make it dangerous by cutting corners or just not being competent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NODOOR in Des Moines, Iowa

65 months ago

WORKED A ICON OF MACHINING. HE DID IT 40 PLUS YEARS , LEANED OVER AND A 3/8 END MILL WRAPPED HAIR N SCALPED/KILLED HIM .THEY PULL YOU IN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

humberto sandoval in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

Thanks,

is not dangerous.... like any other job you must be cautious, please tell me at what school did you went to get a certification of CNC..? i'm very interested.

my e-mail is humberto_sandoval@hotmail.com i'm in houston,tx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

STEVE in Kansas City, Missouri

59 months ago

WE ARE A DIEING BRRED , SHOPS ARE CLOSING FAST, MAKE QUALITY PARTS!
NOW MILITARY PARTS BOUGHT OVERSEAS ...THANKS OBAMA
ANYTHING IS DANGEROUS , THEY PULL YOU IN , NOT HIT YOU WITH FLYING PARTS. 29 YEARS AND TEN FINGERS....THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Trumbauersville, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

WE ARE A DIEING BRRED , SHOPS ARE CLOSING FAST, MAKE QUALITY PARTS!
NOW MILITARY PARTS BOUGHT OVERSEAS ...THANKS OBAMA
ANYTHING IS DANGEROUS , THEY PULL YOU IN , NOT HIT YOU WITH FLYING PARTS. 29 YEARS AND TEN FINGERS....THANKS
yeah, blame Obama for the errors of the past administration. going back to the cnc subject i work as a programmer/operator for 2 cnc machines that grind glass and stone and is not dangerous if you are careful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

thinking bout it seriously?? in Bemidji, Minnesota

58 months ago

yea i hear what everyone is saying, im wondering if it would be an great advantage since that i am young to get involved in this type of business, whats the paying rate? please anwser this Question?

Delta Blues in Leavenworth, Kansas

58 months ago

Machining is alot of fun. CNC machines make it a breeze (if you are properly trained) over manual machines. Been machining for several years and no serious injuries. Take caution over flying hot chips and sharp burrs on material but otherwise it is relatively safe. ....ask yourself, does this seem safe? If not, them make it safe (guards & fixturing).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Kelly in Cary, North Carolina

58 months ago

I dont think so it is dangerous because they use different m/c tools to perform different operations and all them by giving a commands.

Thanks
Tom Kelly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Kelly in Cary, North Carolina

58 months ago

I dont think so it is dangerous because they use different m/c tools to perform different operations and all them by giving a commands.

Tom Kelly

www.indovance.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul Ludwig in Montreal, Quebec

54 months ago

I believe that with cnc machines becoming more and more technically "intelligent", there will be less of a need for operators and programmers....especially in high production companies...people will have to get retrained a lot sooner than you think..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessy in Wichita, Kansas

52 months ago

Do women work as CNC operators / programmers? I do understand, it all depends on the woman, but in general... IS the work phisically difficult? any liftings needed? what could you say about conditions? is it very noisy there? Thanks:-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jolpac in Anaheim, California

52 months ago

LH in Katy, Texas said: I am looking for a job as a manual machinist. I just finished a basic machining course at a local community college. I have been looking for work as a manual machinist on the internet but so far all of the jobs that I see for a manual machinist require 3-5 years of experience.
thanks,

Yes, in India...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason A

47 months ago

I've seen people lose their Fingers in Screw machines, milling machines even CNC machines, I've seen parts come flying out of chucks, vises on Milling machines as well, I've seen end mills shatter to tiny pieces shooting them into someone's face, I seen a kid get his hand cut wide open on a Bandsaw, I even seen a guy get hurt using an Air line to blow dirt off his clothes, he decided blow his face off too and blew his eye out of socket, It NOT JUST CNC ARE DANGEROUS! The whole shop is DANGEROUS, there no such thing as 100% safety, only common sence will get you around shop and being safe... today Most CNC's machines have "sensors" in doors if you open door sensor trips and stops the machine to prevent serious injuries, I've seen comapny remove these senors which is a BIG NO-NO .. The results are a Huge fine from OSHA . MACHINES SHOWS NO MERCY! Just remeber that

nodoor vanner in Blue Springs, Missouri

47 months ago

unless it is the owner that dies , no fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Detroit, Michigan

44 months ago

Paul in Shepperton, United Kingdom said: Yeah look around at machine shops and just ask, LOADS of machine shops out there would give you a go because of a lack of workeers

the way i got my first job in machining was by going to an employment agency and making it clear that i was interested in an entry level job in cnc work. In this economy it might be difficult, but it is possible to get a job with little to no experience.

Houston in Kansas City, Missouri

44 months ago

Thanks,

CNC machinest are much safer today. There are lot's of safety prevention implemented to make them user friendly and prevent accidents. Most CNC's are in closed in sometype to prevent accidents. I have been in the machining Business for over 25 years and only saw 1 NON-FATAL accident.

Unfrozen Caveman in Phoenix, Arizona

44 months ago

I've been in the trade for 5 years and have never witnessed an accident worse than a cut. It is a potentially dangerous profession. CNC machines are capable of doing far worse than removing fingers, but in order to get killed or maimed by one, you'd ALMOST have to do it on purpose.

maynard_fabian in Singapore, Singapore

44 months ago

ITS SUCH A GOOD EXAMPLE IF YOU ARE NOT IN DANGER WHILE YOUR MACHINING,AND IT WAS ALSO GOOD THAT YOU ARE FOLLOWING ALL THE SAFETY STEPS WHAT THE COMPANY ARE BEING RULED,IM 4 YEARS IN CNC MACHINING,IM HERE NOW IN SINGAPORE WORKING AND HANDLING CNC LATHE MACHINES.

maynard_fabian in Singapore, Singapore

44 months ago

dangerous?Cnc machines now are having the very safe mode in machining,in your own hand or your own fault if you will be accident to put your self in danger.Im from phillipines,im working and handling cnc milling and lathe machines for 4 years,and i like to work much better companies in canada,for now i am working here in singapore,
If there is some employer that read or see my comment,and interested to me,this is my email add.,maynard_fabian@yahoo.com,im hoping that soon i will be work in canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nothing is impossible

41 months ago

Hello! Everybody! nice to join to this forum,i am a student and am doing my thesis ON 4 axis CNC high quality maching of screw pump,Then i have tried to have informations related with this but i couldnot get fundamental informations,i hope you will point me and give me the hint or inform of pdf,this is my gmail 162127me@gmail.com
Thanks for all of your helps!

Martin in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

38 months ago

Cnc is dangerous but manageable. Wearing saftey glasses
and short sleave shirts is best. I have seen a few accidents. One owner had a broach go through his Hand !
He was manually feeding it and the hole was too small.
He obviously never checked the i.d. with gage pins before running it. Another guy at the same shop was wearing long sleeves and got sucked into a machine when his long sleeve sweatshirt got caught up on a cutter. He got a bunch of stitches along his side.

STEVE J in Blue Springs, Missouri

38 months ago

MY BOSS LOOKED IN A HOLE AND A 3/8 THS END MILL TOUCHED HIS HEAD ,WRAPPED IN HIS HAIR, AND BAM, 40 YEARS EXP. DEAD!
THEY PULL YOU IN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jh in San Jose, California

4 months ago

STEVE J in Blue Springs, Missouri said: MY BOSS LOOKED IN A HOLE AND A 3/8 THS END MILL TOUCHED HIS HEAD ,WRAPPED IN HIS HAIR, AND BAM, 40 YEARS EXP. DEAD!
THEY PULL YOU IN

after 40yrs in the trade he didn't know better? and he was the boss? he don't sound so bright

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.